Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1


Topic author
Crash
Senior Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Crash » Sun May 07, 2017 10:54 am

For many years I've heard that the proper procedure for a malfunction in a semi-auto is tap the magazine to make sure it is firmly seated, rack the slide to eject the round that is causing the problem, then pull the trigger. However, there are some cases where tapping the magazine, etc., won't help. So, rather than having to learn two different procedures, i.e., tap, rack, bang or drop, replace, rack, bang, how about just always doing the latter since that will take care of almost any failure. And, yes, I know that you're getting rid of a magazine that may still have perfectly good rounds in it, but that may be worth the risk of not clearing the failure with tap, rack, bang.

What say ye?

Crash


cyphertext
Senior Member
Posts: 411
Joined: Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:31 am

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby cyphertext » Sun May 07, 2017 11:04 am

I say that "Tap, Rack, Bang" is the proper procedure on a two way range (i.e. firefight). The object of the procedure is to get you back into the fight ASAP. If the weapon does not fire at that point, it is time to take cover and clear the stoppage.

On a nice sunny afternoon at the local public range though, the proper procedure would be to remove the magazine, observe the stoppage to identify, and clear... no need to hurry in that case.

User avatar

KLB
Senior Member
Posts: 348
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:57 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby KLB » Sun May 07, 2017 11:12 am

cyphertext wrote:I say that "Tap, Rack, Bang" is the proper procedure on a two way range (i.e. firefight). The object of the procedure is to get you back into the fight ASAP. If the weapon does not fire at that point, it is time to take cover and clear the stoppage.

On a nice sunny afternoon at the local public range though, the proper procedure would be to remove the magazine, observe the stoppage to identify, and clear... no need to hurry in that case.

Since my experience to this point (and may it always remain so) has been at a conventional range, I drop the magazine first.

User avatar

cheezit
Senior Member
Posts: 955
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:10 pm
Location: far n fortworh

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby cheezit » Sun May 07, 2017 11:23 am

Tap, rack, roll, back in action.
Or just carry a wheel gun

User avatar

Jusme
Senior Member
Posts: 3160
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:23 pm
Location: Johnson County, Texas

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Jusme » Sun May 07, 2017 11:26 am

Crash wrote:For many years I've heard that the proper procedure for a malfunction in a semi-auto is tap the magazine to make sure it is firmly seated, rack the slide to eject the round that is causing the problem, then pull the trigger. However, there are some cases where tapping the magazine, etc., won't help. So, rather than having to learn two different procedures, i.e., tap, rack, bang or drop, replace, rack, bang, how about just always doing the latter since that will take care of almost any failure. And, yes, I know that you're getting rid of a magazine that may still have perfectly good rounds in it, but that may be worth the risk of not clearing the failure with tap, rack, bang.

What say ye?

Crash



For me the drop,replace, rack, bang would be one extra motion, and probably more time consuming. Secondly, there is no guarantee, that your method would solve the malfunction, either. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:


OlBill
Senior Member
Posts: 268
Joined: Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby OlBill » Sun May 07, 2017 12:30 pm

A lot of times (most) the FTF is because the magazine wasn't seated properly because the gun was not properly loaded and checked. Factory ammunition is rarely the cause. Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF.

If Tap Rack doesn't fix it, you're going to need cover. You're going to have to look at the gun.

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby AndyC » Sun May 07, 2017 1:15 pm

OlBill wrote:Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF.

If Tap Rack doesn't fix it, you're going to need cover. You're going to have to look at the gun.

:iagree:
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

AJSully421
Senior Member
Posts: 1259
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:31 pm
Location: Benbrook / SW Fort Worth

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby AJSully421 » Sun May 07, 2017 1:27 pm

It is not about 100% fixing the problem right frigging now, it is about addressing the top 3-4 most likely problems as to why you got a click instead of a bang, and getting you back to firing rounds quickly.

An unseated magazine, bad round, round that did not go into battery, and a hard primer are the most likely cases. Keep in mind that this is all going on while bullets are flying, so pulling a mag for a hard primer is unnecessary, and spends time that could get you killed.

If the problem is more detailed than those things, then you can go into secondary actions like dropping the mag, locking the slide or bolt back digging around and so on.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.


Topic author
Crash
Senior Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Crash » Sun May 07, 2017 3:54 pm

OlBill wrote:A lot of times (most) the FTF is because the magazine wasn't seated properly because the gun was not properly loaded and checked. Factory ammunition is rarely the cause. Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF.

If Tap Rack doesn't fix it, you're going to need cover. You're going to have to look at the gun.


OlBill,

I agree with you that Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF. However, I've owned 12 semi-autos and fired quite a few others and most of the FTF I've had were because my gun didn't "like" a particular type of ammo. Not that the ammo was bad, it just wasn't compatible with the gun I was using. Also, I had a number of failures with two different .380s because of faulty factory magazines. Not saying that it was never my fault, but I only remember two FTF where I either limp-wristed the gun or didn't seat the magazine properly. I guess my problem is that I never want to be in a life-or-death situation, have an FTF, and have to stop and decide which method to use to correct the problem.

Crash


Topic author
Crash
Senior Member
Posts: 222
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:13 pm

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Crash » Sun May 07, 2017 3:56 pm

KLB wrote:
cyphertext wrote:I say that "Tap, Rack, Bang" is the proper procedure on a two way range (i.e. firefight). The object of the procedure is to get you back into the fight ASAP. If the weapon does not fire at that point, it is time to take cover and clear the stoppage.

On a nice sunny afternoon at the local public range though, the proper procedure would be to remove the magazine, observe the stoppage to identify, and clear... no need to hurry in that case.

Since my experience to this point (and may it always remain so) has been at a conventional range, I drop the magazine first.


KLB,

If dropping the magazine first is the way you practice at a conventional range, isn't that the way you would automatically react in a firefight?

Crash


NotRPB
Senior Member
Posts: 862
Joined: Tue May 05, 2015 8:24 am

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby NotRPB » Sun May 07, 2017 4:01 pm

AndyC wrote:
OlBill wrote:Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF.

If Tap Rack doesn't fix it, you're going to need cover. You're going to have to look at the gun.

:iagree:

I learned that Tap rack thing, practiced it and it worked great until 1989. I had almost forgotten it because in 1989 I bought a Glock ... Now, Jam is what I put on toast. :biggrinjester:

Yeah if that doesn't work, "You're going to have to look at the gun" AND THE MAG, ... It probably doesn't say Glock
:leaving

User avatar

Liberty
Senior Member
Posts: 5071
Joined: Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:49 pm
Location: Galveston
Contact:

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Liberty » Sun May 07, 2017 5:09 pm

NotRPB wrote:
AndyC wrote:
OlBill wrote:Tap Rack fixes the most common FTF.

If Tap Rack doesn't fix it, you're going to need cover. You're going to have to look at the gun.

:iagree:

I learned that Tap rack thing, practiced it and it worked great until 1989. I had almost forgotten it because in 1989 I bought a Glock ... Now, Jam is what I put on toast. :biggrinjester:

Yeah if that doesn't work, "You're going to have to look at the gun" AND THE MAG, ... It probably doesn't say Glock
:leaving

And if you don't get a second chance at firing without reracking it just might be a Glock.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

User avatar

AndyC
Senior Member
Posts: 9155
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 12:34 pm
Location: Richardson, TX

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby AndyC » Sun May 07, 2017 5:10 pm

You must have a rare Glock, I see plenty that jam.
Remember Kitty Genovese

Image

Amateurs skip safety-checks - pros don't.
Preferred Travel Agent - 72 Virgins Dating Club
There's nothing quite like the offer of 230 grains to a man's chest to remind him of his manners

User avatar

Scott B.
Senior Member
Posts: 697
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:46 am
Location: Harris County

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby Scott B. » Sun May 07, 2017 5:43 pm

This is a good subject. The way we teach is it is, "Tap - Rack - Assess." Why? Let's say you're in a gun fight and while clearing your hypothetical malfunction the 'bad guy' -- so overwhelmed by your guns skills -- surrenders? But you follow up with "Bang" because that's the way you always practiced it?

Something to think about. :fire
LTC Instructor. NRA - Instructor, RSO, Life Member. FFL 07/02 SOT.
My Texas Rep (Gary Elkins, D135) never got back to me about HB560.


CoffeeNut
Senior Member
Posts: 735
Joined: Mon Nov 12, 2012 5:52 am
Location: San Antonio

Re: Tap, Rack, Bang or Drop, Replace, Rack, Bang?

Postby CoffeeNut » Sun May 07, 2017 6:51 pm

Scott B. wrote:This is a good subject. The way we teach is it is, "Tap - Rack - Assess." Why? Let's say you're in a gun fight and while clearing your hypothetical malfunction the 'bad guy' -- so overwhelmed by your guns skills -- surrenders? But you follow up with "Bang" because that's the way you always practiced it?

Something to think about. :fire


I'd hope that most people wouldn't run a malfunction drill and immediately open fire again without making the split-second determination to see if they still have a valid target in their sights. Adrenaline does really weird things to people though...

Out of curiosity how would you practice this on a range?
EDC: Sig Sauer P238/ Ruger LCR
NRA Member
Regular Guy


Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alaska2texas, Bing [Bot] and 6 guests