Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dlh
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Bought My First Shield!

Post by dlh »

SoccerDad---check out this video--->

He takes down his Shield without pulling the seer down through the receiver--more like a Glock take-down. I was able to do that too with my Shield, however, since then I have been pulling the seer down as recommended in the manual.

Note that by inserting a magazine that action will put the seer back into its proper place--at least I think that is how it works on reassembly.
Please know and follow the rules of firearms safety.

rentz
Posts in topic: 7

Post by rentz »

dlh wrote:SoccerDad---check out this video--->
He takes down his Shield without pulling the seer down through the receiver--more like a Glock take-down. I was able to do that too with my Shield, however, since then I have been pulling the seer down as recommended in the manual.

Note that by inserting a magazine that action will put the seer back into its proper place--at least I think that is how it works on reassembly.

There's a different way than this? That's the only way I've ever taken down my shield , lock back turn takedown lever unlock side and it comes right off

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

rentz wrote:

There's a different way than this? That's the only way I've ever taken down my shield , lock back turn takedown lever unlock side and it comes right off
You are supposed to push the yellow sear down. In the manual. Magazine insertion restores it. Very easy to do.

rentz

Post by rentz »

rotor wrote:
rentz wrote:

You are supposed to push the yellow sear down. In the manual. Magazine insertion restores it. Very easy to do.
ah, i just pull the trigger like a glock, does the same thing

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rentz wrote:
rotor wrote:
rentz wrote:

I guess the real question is whether this is harmful for the Shield, or if the manual says to do it the other way because they don't want you to have to pull the trigger when field stripping.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rentz wrote:
rotor wrote:
rentz wrote:

I guess the real question is whether this is harmful for the Shield, or if the manual says to do it the other way because they don't want you to have to pull the trigger when field stripping.

My hunch is it's the latter since it's essentially just dry firing

skeathley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by skeathley »

Some striker-fired guns should not be dry fired with the magazine out. That applies to Glocks, not sure about S&W.

:shock:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

rentz

Post by rentz »

Did some digging and the consensus seems it's a safety mechanism to avoid having to pull the trigger to release the slide, some pull the trigger some don't

I've personally never been that bothered by pulling the trigger for glock take down , always safety check twice.

The direct comparison of the pc and non pc is causing me second thoughts on the non pc one. Maybe I'll splurge for the pc with fiber optics and cancel my psa order

rentz

Post by rentz »

skeathley wrote:Some striker-fired guns should not be dry fired with the magazine out. That applies to Glocks, not sure about S&W.

Even glock says dry fire is fine as long as it's not excessive, which I think applies to just about anything.....but I don't want this to turn into a pro vs con of dry fire thread :mrgreen:

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

rentz wrote:Did some digging and the consensus seems it's a safety mechanism to avoid having to pull the trigger to release the slide, some pull the trigger some don't

I've personally never been that bothered by pulling the trigger for glock take down , always safety check twice.

The direct comparison of the pc and non pc is causing me second thoughts on the non pc one. Maybe I'll splurge for the pc with fiber optics and cancel my psa order
Just realize that with the ported barrel your ammo will be somewhat limited. No Blazer brass and some Federal limits. No plated bullets. At least that's what they say. I believe you are right about lowering the sear to avoid trigger pull. I tend to follow the manual when it comes to take down. My wife has the PC 9mm shield. Very nice gun but I am not crazy about the ported barrel but like the improved sights and better (?) trigger.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rentz wrote:
skeathley wrote:Some striker-fired guns should not be dry fired with the magazine out. That applies to Glocks, not sure about S&W.

Even glock says dry fire is fine as long as it's not excessive, which I think applies to just about anything.....but I don't want this to turn into a pro vs con of dry fire thread :mrgreen:
Considering that you need to dry fire a Glock in order to field strip it, I don't see how they could possibly say that dry firing is always bad.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rotor wrote:
rentz wrote:Did some digging and the consensus seems it's a safety mechanism to avoid having to pull the trigger to release the slide, some pull the trigger some don't

Just realize that with the ported barrel your ammo will be somewhat limited. No Blazer brass and some Federal limits. No plated bullets. At least that's what they say. I believe you are right about lowering the sear to avoid trigger pull. I tend to follow the manual when it comes to take down. My wife has the PC 9mm shield. Very nice gun but I am not crazy about the ported barrel but like the improved sights and better (?) trigger.
Personally, I was worried about the flash from the ported barrel hurting night vision. I fired it yesterday in a dimly lit indoor range and didn't even notice the flash at all, so I think I should be OK at night.

rentz

Post by rentz »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:

Personally, I was worried about the flash from the ported barrel hurting night vision. I fired it yesterday in a dimly lit indoor range and didn't even notice the flash at all, so I think I should be OK at night.
side by side did you notice much difference in the muzzle flip of the ported vs non ported?

not that the shield has much flip anyway

apostate
Posts in topic: 1

Post by apostate »

It looks like PSA has the 9mm mags at $20 again.
http://palmettostatearmory.com/smith-we ... 19936.html

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

rentz wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
rotor wrote:

side by side did you notice much difference in the muzzle flip of the ported vs non ported?

not that the shield has much flip anyway
I really didn't notice any difference. I was able to rapidly put rounds on target with both guns. The main difference I noted was a less gritty trigger in the PC version. That and the fact that the non-PC version failed to lock back on an empty mag. I used the same mags in both guns. No issues with the PC version.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”