Mental Tips for Stiff Trigger?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Mental Tips for Stiff Trigger?

Post by striker55 »

Apex makes a trigger replacement that will make the trigger smoother and turn an 8 lb trigger into 6 lb trigger. Check YouTube for videos, there are quite a few.

surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

george wrote:
surferdaddy wrote:I found that when I started to grip the front of the trigger guard with my off hand it really stabilized and locked the gun into my hands. I know many feel that this technique is passé, but if your pistol affords such a grip you may way to try it.

Surfer
The technique is only "passe" for the people with little girlie-man fingers.

Honestly, my groups shrink markedly when I hook the trigger guard.
My groups shrink quite a bit as well. My follow up shot are quicker too. I wonder why some people frown upon this technique these days? I always look for pistols with a good flat trigger guard.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

treadlightly
Posts in topic: 1

Post by treadlightly »

Here's a drill I used a long time ago when I was just getting into pistols and had vexing flinch issues. This is going to sound crazy, so I'll just blurt it out.

Do some of your dry fire practice flat on your back, dry-firing at the ceiling.

Gravity no longer plays a role in keeping the gun steady. The weight of the gun is directly down your arm and the front sight sort of floats wherever you want it. It's a little like those drills of dry-firing with a penny on the front sight. Once you see your sights rock steady through sear release your subconscious becomes convinced it's possible. That's half the battle.

In real shooting, you want a seriously firm grip, probably more with your weak hand than your strong hand. Try, though, dry-firing on your back with a loose grip. If you're not pulling the trigger straight back you'll see the effect immediately and it's one way to work on isolating the muscle effort in your trigger finger from the rest of your hand.

On the flat of your back you will also more naturally breathe from your diaphragm, which is what you should do. Breathing from low in your lungs, like a trumpet player, will reduce movement in your shoulders.

I know, sounds crazy, but a lot of the shooting game is mental. My sons say I'm very mental. I think that's a millennial compliment. Kids these days, it's hard to tell.

Besides, dry-firing on your back is something done in private. Nobody needs to know.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I carry a S&W 686 for work & we quality with a Model 64. All shots fired are Double Action Only. Also, for personal use I usually carry DA/SA pistols. I'm right handed & I've found that often I pull to the left a bit.

So, I have found that it often helps to use the thumb of my support hand to assist a bit in getting through the long DA pull. This seems to help me & some others I have helped with the revolvers. It can't hurt to try for you.

Topic author
Lynyrd
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Lynyrd »

AdioSS wrote:I carry a S&W 686 for work & we quality with a Model 64. All shots fired are Double Action Only. Also, for personal use I usually carry DA/SA pistols. I'm right handed & I've found that often I pull to the left a bit.

So, I have found that it often helps to use the thumb of my support hand to assist a bit in getting through the long DA pull. This seems to help me & some others I have helped with the revolvers. It can't hurt to try for you.
Interesting thought. Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow. Since I live out in the country I can shoot anytime I want to.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

stever1950

Post by stever1950 »

Medley86 wrote:I have never shot Smith and Wesson striker guns well. The trigger with the center hinge always caused me to shoot poorly, if I were to buy one I'd probably change the trigger for a glock/xd style with a safety bar instead of the hinge.
I shot 2 mags with my SD40 and promptly ordered an Apex trigger spring set and their trigger. Made a huge difference!
"Resistance to sudden violence, for the preservation not only of my person, my limbs, and life, but of my property, is an indisputable right of nature which I have never surrendered to the public by the compact of society, and which perhaps, I could not surrender if I would." John Adams

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

stever1950 wrote:
Medley86 wrote:I have never shot Smith and Wesson striker guns well. The trigger with the center hinge always caused me to shoot poorly, if I were to buy one I'd probably change the trigger for a glock/xd style with a safety bar instead of the hinge.
I shot 2 mags with my SD40 and promptly ordered an Apex trigger spring set and their trigger. Made a huge difference!
When I turned 21 I bought a S&W Sigma 40, never could shoot it well. Finally managed to trade it for an entry level 1911 and don't miss it a bit. Eventually I got a Springfield XDm 40 and I love it.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”