The search is over...I'm kinda sad.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surferdaddy
Posts in topic: 5

The search is over...I'm kinda sad.

Post by surferdaddy »

I've got a "few" carry pistols and have always been on the hunt for the next carry piece. I recently picked up what I thought I always wanted, a HK p30sk. I like it, It's all the quality it is supposed to be. I threw it into a good OWB holster and have been carrying it.

I occasionally grab my Glock 27 and when I do I'm always expecting to be disappointed when I compare it to my HK and Sigs. Trouble is I always feel the complete opposite. The Glock carries better and just feels "better" in every way, it is a profoundly difficult emotion to describe. I guess the Glock just feels like home somehow.

I have always loved the hunt for the "best" and or newest but I now realize I have already found my personal perfect carry weapon. I will miss the searching and excitement of a new gun, but now know that I will never feel quite the same way about any other pistol.

It's a strange realization but I would say that I'm "married" to the Glock 27, it's all that I really need.

I'm not going to go crazy and get rid of all my other pistols or anything but I now know that in the end I will never get the same warm fuzzies about any other gun and that takes a lot of the excitement out of searching.

Have any of you come to similar realizations and if you have how did it make you feel?

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor
NRA basic pistol/home firearm safety instructor.

AJSully421
Posts in topic: 1

Re: The search is over...I'm kinda sad.

Post by AJSully421 »

I have done the same thing with about a dozen different pistols.

I always come back to the G19 for days and the G17 for G21 for evenings and weekends.

It has become so that when the new VP9 came out, I just thought "No, i'll buy it, lots of mags, a holster or two, and I will like it, but I will not love it, and I will just end up selling it and buy another Glock."

Same with the M&P 2.0, Sig 320, and whatever comes out next.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

I certainly have. I've shot and carried a CZ P-01 for many years. Due to money going elsewhere I've always wanted for another. A couple of years ago I bought an M&P in 9mm. Due to comparisons between the two I just recently had an Apex duty/carry trigger job done on the M&P because it didn't measure up to the CZ. So, I have two pistols but even with occasionally shooting some other gun, I keep coming back to one because it fits my hand wonderfully, shoots well and carries very nicely. In the end it actually frees up some serious brain space to now stop looking for the "next best gun" and enjoy shooting what I have.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I was sure I wasn't alone. I've heard great things about CZs. I would like to run one sometime.

S
CHL/LTC instructor

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

G19 is what I always come back to. I carry shield 45 more now and love it as a carry gun but g19 has a special place

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

I don't really know for sure why I crave "the hunt" and acquisition of firearms like I do. Perhaps because I don't really make many other purchases of high dollar high quality merchandise? What ever the reason I and many others ascribe such importance to these little machines.

I love the waiting for the call that a gun is in and ready for pickup, I love going to gun stores and ranges. I love searching websites and online videos; this vs that etc. it really is probably is the closest I get to the Christmas morning feel as an adult. And now that I know that I will likely never find a gun I like more than my Glock I guess it's time to collect...Glocks.

I am sick. If my wife were to read this she would probably leave me or force me into counseling. I may need help. Gun Buyers Anonymous? "Hello, my name is Surfer, it has been...30 minutes since I last purchased a new gun."

I am only half kidding.

Surfer
CHL/LTC instructor

apvonkanel

Post by apvonkanel »

surferdaddy wrote: And now that I know that I will likely never find a gun I like more than my Glock I guess it's time to collect...Glocks.

Surfer
This is only until we're able to purchase and carry a DL 44 heavy blaster
In the Navy I learned to love the Mossberg 590A1 and hate the Beretta M9

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I noticed that as the months/years went by, my likes/dislikes changed drastically.

16 years ago I was all about 1911's and Glocks were just not what I cared for at all. Then about 12 years ago I bought G19 and I loved it. Next thing I knew, I had sold my two 1911's (one was Colt and the other Kimber), and I purchased G33 and G21.

Then I kept adding to the Glock collection, G23, G20, G29, G17...G43...and that's the only brand I'd carry, for solid 7-8 years, until couple of years ago I shot a Sig p229 :banghead:

I really liked the Sig, but, I refused to switch from Glock. So, I continued on with Glock, acquiring another Colt 1911 along the way, only to sell it short time later to purchase another...Glock :banghead:

So after 12 years roughy, I remained with Glock brand until... I shot the Sig again. This time a p220 with srt. Well, before you know it, I had sold and/or traded several of my Glocks to buy more Sigs :banghead:

Now, I still have G19 and G43, but my daily carry has been p220 and very frequently as of late p229 in .357. So there is my little "search".

After years of shooting and carrying Glocks, it turns out that I actually shoot better with Sig, despite the DA on the first pull.

I'll always love Glock though. Oh, and I've owned few H&K's, but again, I just personally prefer Sig...for now... :waiting:

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

Haha, "for now."
CHL/LTC instructor

Ed4032

Post by Ed4032 »

surferdaddy wrote:
I am only half kidding.

Surfer
I'm reading your post and thinking yeah, yeah that's me. I'm just the same. Then you say your half kidding and I think... kidding about what?
Gun control is like stopping drunk driving by making it harder for sober people to drive.

NRA Life Member

Topic author
surferdaddy

Post by surferdaddy »

apvonkanel wrote:
surferdaddy wrote: And now that I know that I will likely never find a gun I like more than my Glock I guess it's time to collect...Glocks.

Surfer
This is only until we're able to purchase and carry a DL 44 heavy blaster
Haha. Too true.
CHL/LTC instructor

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”