Which gun is it for you?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which gun is it for you?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I have my dad's 1911A1 sidearm from WW2, a 1943 Ithaca. It's got about 95% of its finish on it, and still shoots fairly well. I also have a 1943 vintage Inland Carbine in nearly mint condition, which is identical to what my dad carried ashore at Iwo Jima. I would never trade or sell either of these guns. They just mean to much to me. They're not necessarily my best guns, or even my favorite guns to shoot, but they represent something to me that speaks to me deeply.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Crash

Post by Crash »

I guess it's my Howa 1500 in.308 Winchester with the Hogue overmolded stock and the 20" barrel. The stock has dings from one end to the other, the spacer between the stock and the recoil pad is cracked in three places and there is a big gouge on the telescope where I dropped it on some rocks. In short, it's ugly as hell. But, using cheap Winchester ammo from Wally World, when I do my part it will put three shots into 3/4" at 100 yards. And I've never needed more than one shot for a whitetail deer. "Pretty is as pretty does."

Crash

mcm730

Post by mcm730 »

My favorite gun is one I don’t even own...yet.

Someday I will have my very own Smith and Wesson model 29, I’ve had the pleasure of shooting one before and was head over heels.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

My favorite is my Smith and Wesson M59. It was my grandfather's duty pistol when he was an investigator with the California Alcoholic Beverage Control. When he passed, he left it to me. I cherish it greatly and it makes nearly every range trip.

My second favorite and my first gun is my 1944 dated Springfield M1.
Psalm 91:2

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

I don't have a large collection, and I have put a lot of thought into every gun that I have aquired, so they are are all pretty special to me for their specific use.

I own three long guns. My favorite is My Ruger Gunsite .308. in Stainless. It is the only gun that I have scoped. It has an extended relief Lepeold scout style mounted. It is special too me because it was an unexpected gift from the company I retired from, and i just love shooting it. I really like the way the laminated stock looks and holds up.

My favorite handgun is also a stainless Ruger. The KP95. It shoots great and alway's seems to find its mark. It's a clunky looking beast, and there is nothing exotic about it. Built like a tank and just about indestructable. I like the way it shoots and handles. Maybe I favor it because it is my first handgun.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Lena

Post by Lena »

Here would be 2 of them, both my fathers. A 1911 Swenson 45 and his Parker sxs 12 ga.
2 more both father's Sako factory special order heavy barrel 7mm Mag
#1 S&W 5 screw original 44 mag I still have the $119.95 sales ticket.
All 1 owner bought new.
Stay Safe

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

Like many of the posts here, the gun I’m most attached to is not due to performance but rather an emotional connection. My Dad was never a hunter or much of a shooter but he grew up on a farm and wanted me to know how to handle a firearm. When I was little he would borrow the neighbor’s 22 from across the street and we’d go to a caliche pit out side of town to do some plinking. Anyway, one day he bought a raffle ticket for some charity and the prize was a nice pump shotgun from a local business in town that was a furniture/sporting goods store (interesting combination). As luck would have it, he won the shotgun! I don’t remember anything about it except that the picture I saw of it looked beautiful. At that point my Mom stepped in and pointed out that she had been wanting some new bedroom furniture so I think you can guess what happened to the shotgun. As a good husband and seeker of domestic tranquility, my Dad went down and traded it in for the furniture but had enough left to buy a Winchester model 67. I have great memories of shooting/cleaning that gun and I've used it as an intro to shooting with my own kids. It’s still in great shape and just getting it out and cleaning it still puts a smile on my face. My Dad is gone now but I like to think I still have a little piece of him with me every time I put my hands on that rifle.

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

I guess the one firearm I would most regret to part with would be the first pistol I ever bought, a Ruger P89, safety model. Purchased it back in 1997, after coming back to the States after a four-year assignment in England. It has a LOT of rounds through it, still feeds and functions great. I did put Hogue grips on it some time ago, and also bought some Mecgar 17 round magazines to replace the 10-round "Clinton-mags" it came with.

My "favorite" firearm is the 4-inch barreled, blued, Ruger Police Service-Six in .38 Special that I carry the most, and shoot the most. It's got a bit of holster wear, and has Pachmayer grips on it to replace the non-Ruger wooden ones that were on it. Got it from a guy I worked with for a whopping $200 a couple of years ago. It's a solid piece of machinery that I am proud to own. Since the frame and action were designed for .357 Magnum, I doubt I'll be able to wear it out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”