Which gun is it for you?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Which gun is it for you?

Post by cmgee67 »

What gun is your favorite gun? Did it cost a lot of money and you just admire the quality and looks? Was it given to you by someone? Was it one you always wanted and you finally got it? Did you build it?

My favorite gun hands down is my AK-47. It came from a Romanian parts kit from 1976 except the receiver and barrel which are US made. My dad and I built it together and that makes it priceless to me. She shoots like a dream and I trust my life to it. The stories those old parts could tell if they could talk would be something. All the holes we drilled and pressing we did and all of the rivets we set each have a certain memory and moment connected to each of them that I will always carry with me. It's not the prettiest gun out there but to me it's beautiful and nothing could ever touch it in my opinion.
Last edited by cmgee67 on Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

flechero
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which gun is it for you?

Post by flechero »

My STI Guardian .45. Yes to all your questions except me building it. It was expensive to me (which is why i hadn't bought it) high quality, looks great (to me) shoots great and my wife surprised me with it 2 b-days ago! I had wanted one for years but couldn't bring myself to spend the money on it, since I would have had to dip into savings.

If it only cleaned itself, it would do it all! :lol:

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

For me it would be an old single shot .22 rifle that my grandfather owned. My brothers and I learned to shoot on that thing, so did my dad. At the moment, it's at my aunt/uncle's house. When my grandparents passed away it went to live with them. I haven't seen the gun in around 20 years. For me, it's not about the model of the firearm or how accurate it was. It's the connection to my family's history of learning how to shoot. We used to try and shoot the groundhog that was digging holes around the pond at my grandparents' place. Being a single shot, you never got a second try at the groundhog before he ran off.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

b4aftr

Post by b4aftr »

Mine is the first nice gun I was able to buy when I turned 21. Purchased a Dan Wesson Bobtail 10mm and then had a smith perform some custom touches. Ordered some milt sparks and beltman leather to complete the CHL package.

I've bought and sold many others since then, but this one won't ever be on the block.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

My best gun? My CZ-75BD. Most expensive? Dan Wesson 1911, a retirement present from my former employer.

The one I would never get rid of? That would be the bolt-action .22 rifle I learned to shoot on 60 years ago. It is a Mossberg, but private-labelled to Montgomery Ward, and sold as a Western Field. My grandfather bought it by mail order about 1939. When he passed it went to my brother, and later to me. There is a lot of family history in that rifle, and it still shoots quite well.

:cheers2:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

My dad left me his Weatherby Mark V in a 340 Weatherby Magnum that my mother bought him in 1968. He was so proud of that gun he wouldn't take it hunting for a couple of years until she fussed at him about it. He gave it to me on my 60th birthday, mostly because he knew he was in early stage of Alzheimer's and wanted to make sure I got it instead of someone that would have just sold it off. I have only shot it a few times (it really has a kick to it) but I look forward to next winter as my wife got me a guided elk hunt for my birthday and I plan on using it for that.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Currently my .204 is my favorite gun, custom match grade barrel with target crown by pac nor, custom left hand thumbhole laminate stock from Richards micro fit, zastava left hand bolt action with a Timney trigger, bushnell Elite 6-24x Mil dot scope!
This thing will drive tacks! I can easily clover leaf 4rds at 200yds!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

I'm a simple guy. A ruger mkii, kmk 10 , stainless steel 10" barrel. Quite possibly the most fun gun I own. It always draws looks at the range too.

strogg

Post by strogg »

I can't say I have a favorite one per se. I love most of my firearms equally. But the rifle that is nearest/dearest to me would be the Petronov AK-47. For my handguns, it would be the Magnum Research BFR chambered in 500 S&W. The AK has very good craftsmanship, and does very Russian things when you pull the trigger, making it a great gun to shoot. As for the hand cannon, I got it originally to have a gun with a caliber that starts with a 5. I can also get more creative with reloading in the BFR due to the longer chamber than the S&W. But ultimately, I like it now because it just looks like a Doc Holliday revolver on steroids. I polished it and added Mongolian stag grip panels. And to boot, it makes a big ol' BANG when you pull the trigger. It's extremely satisfying to shoot once you get over the fear of injury.

stroo

Post by stroo »

My favorite gun is a 20 gauge single shot shotgun my Dad gave me on my 12th birthday. It was my first real gun. And my Dad died of a heart attack five days later.

However it isn't my gun anymore. I gave it to my son on his 12th birthday a few years ago. It was his first real gun too.

We took it out to shoot trap last week along with his Mossberg 12 gauge automatic. We shot just as well with the 20 as we did with the 12. It is still a fun gun to shoot!

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

My factory nickel Colt Python that I bought new in the 70's.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I think there was another thread like this a little while back and I could not decide. I have several different ones that I like for their different purposes/types.

However, due to Flightmare's post I think I'll have to also go with a similar rifle that has been in my family for many years. A Winchester model 1906 pump action .22LR. It was supposed to have been purchased by my Great-Grandfather about 1910 and I was told it was the first gun his daughter, my Grandma shot. Then it was the first gun her son, my Dad shot. It was the first gun I ever shot. I wish I could say it was the first gun my daughter ever shot, but she was intimidated by it and her first gun was a little .22 short semiauto handgun. The Winchester was the first rifle she ever fired.

It is in very good condition and only has issues ejecting 1-2 out of every ten rounds put through it. I seem to remember it being like that 45+ years ago when we would shoot it out at my Grandpa's farm. Other than that, it still shoots fantastic and is very accurate. I can out shoot my BIL at 25y with it using iron sights and he with his .22 magnum and a 3x scope. Really upsets him. :coolgleamA:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

Easy choices for me... I have two.

First is my Browning SA-22. I think it's a 1957, first purchased by my grandfather, passed on to my dad and then to me. It looks brand new and shoots perfectly. If I have kids it'll go to them when I pass.

Second is my Beretta 948, which is a 1956 model, also a 22. Not the prettiest, but it's the first handgun I ever bought and, by necessity, the first one I ever carried about 14 years ago. Remarkably accurate and a ton of fun to shoot.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

Post by cmgee67 »

MadMonkey wrote:Easy choices for me... I have two.

First is my Browning SA-22. I think it's a 1957, first purchased by my grandfather, passed on to my dad and then to me. It looks brand new and shoots perfectly. If I have kids it'll go to them when I pass.

Second is my Beretta 948, which is a 1956 model, also a 22. Not the prettiest, but it's the first handgun I ever bought and, by necessity, the first one I ever carried about 14 years ago. Remarkably accurate and a ton of fun to shoot.

I wouldn't wanna get shot by a 22 or any gun for that matter! Well maybe a gun filled with chocolate sauce haha!

Maxwell

Post by Maxwell »

Well, that's a tough question. Out of what I have it used to be my M&P40c, but I've been carrying my LC9 (modified but not an "s" version) for the last couple of months and I really like the size and weight. Maybe I'll steal my wife's PPS back.

Out of what I don't own, the Walther PPQ is very nice as is a Beretta 92 compact I've played with a few times.
I never let schooling interfere with my education. Mark Twain

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”