Posts in topic: 3

Re: Size VS Capacity

Post by cmgee67 »

I opened a can of worms lol

Ruark
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ruark »

It's really hard to compare calibers any more, with specialty companies making all kinds of ammunition. The standard, plain vanilla .45 ammo, for example, has about 350 ft. lbs. of energy with a muzzle velocity of about 830 fps. Buffalo Bore's 9mm +P+ has 500 ft. lbs. at 1400 fps., which approaches many .357 magnum loadings. Myself, I would MUCH rather have a 17 round magazine of the latter than a 6 round magazine of the former.

An excellent web site for your Bookmarks is at:

http://www.ballistics101.com/9mm.php

Use the drop down menus to change calibers. This page shows the energy/velocity of virtually every brand of ammo made. It's quite fascinating to study.
-Ruark

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Sometimes I carry my tiny 9mm Glock 26 with 21 rounds (20+1) - using Glock 17 mag, Pearcegrip PG39 +3 base & Xgrip
Sometimes I carry my tiny .45 Glock 30S with 16 Rounds (15+1)-using Glock 21 mag, Pearcegrip +2 base & Xgrip

They're almost the same size, height, length & width

Sometimes I carry both to balance the weight on my hips

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I prefer 9mm for pistols, I find that I'm a better shot and as discussed above, with current ammo loads these days the differences between their performance is mynute.

I typically carry my XDs 9mm which I believe is 7+1 (using the flush fitting mags) - this is mostly for comfort and ease of slipping it on/off as required(work is not gun friendly) so I take it off and leave in the car during work hours. I feel like 7 or 8 rounds would be more than enough to defend myself in most situations, and if not enough to end the threat, it could at least hopefully buy me the time to safely leave the situation.

All that being said, my weekend carry gun when taking on/off won't be an issue, my Walther PPQ is my go to carry and I do feel more secure in knowing I have 15+1 with that one.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I don't see an increase of 33% in expansion as insignificant .

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

cmgee67 wrote:What are yalls thoughts on the size vs capacity debate? I see this discussed all the time and wanted to bring it here!
Ready...... GO!
I'm thinking about going to a .22 for carry.

maverick2076

Post by maverick2076 »

OlBill wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:What are yalls thoughts on the size vs capacity debate? I see this discussed all the time and wanted to bring it here!
Ready...... GO!
I'm thinking about going to a .22 for carry.
On occasion, I will carry a .22 Mag. Of course, it has a 30 round magazine. And I carry a spare.

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:As others have noted, you also need to consider caliber in this debate.

Regardless, there is only one correct answer to this question. It is the same correct answer to 99.632% of all the questions in the world. That answer is....

It depends.

I own a tiny .380 caliber gun that holds 6+1 rounds. Next to my bed I have a "too large for IDPA" gun that holds 18+1 rounds of 9mm. In my car, I usually have my Calico M950 that holds 100+1 rounds of 9mm in the magazine. And my most common EDC is a Dan Wesson CCO that has 7+1 rounds of .45 ACP. They are each a perfect mix of size, caliber, and capacity, IMHO, for their varied purposes.
Now that's almost showing off right there. I'm feeling so envious. I would covet your thoroughness but that would be a sin.
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

I have carried an FNX-45 concealed before with an alien gear IWB holster. It isn't the most comfortable gun to carry that way due to bulk, but it can be done. Just get the right holster and wear clothing that helps you out. It just depends on how much bulk/weight you want to carry around. When it comes down to it, I am not sure how much real difference there is between a Shield and a Glock 19 in size and weight. Just a small difference in thickness. I guess the main thing is you are comfortable with what you are carrying and you can use it effectively.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

"ME's can't tell much if any difference in the wounds caused by modern self-defense 9mm, 40 S&W and 45ACP rounds. But street experience shows [bad guys] go down faster with .45ACP than 9mm." By Very smart and Experienced SWAT Guy. Angels-on-a-pin-head discussions are interesting, but in the end, everyone makes their own choice. I prefer to base my choice on real world experience, not blocks of jello and dial calibers. Right now I'm under-gunned with a 15 rd 9mm with good SD ammo, but I hope to change back soon. If I have to thump an attacker two or three times to do the job of one .45ACP, then the capacity advantage is illusory. (I wonder how many people are foaming at the mouth over this post? :smilelol5: )

Chas.

rtschl

Post by rtschl »

It's one of those arguments that will never be resolved to everyone's satisfaction. That said, I always thought this one was funny:
Ron
NRA Member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:(I wonder how many people are foaming at the mouth over this post? :smilelol5: )

Chas.
I'd bet quite a few, but then again most of us ave already made our decisions and don't let questions like this bother us any more.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

C-dub wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote:(I wonder how many people are foaming at the mouth over this post? :smilelol5: )

Chas.
I'd bet quite a few, but then again most of us ave already made our decisions and don't let questions like this bother us any more.
And some of us carry both 9mm and .45 ACP depending on the day. Heck, I even carry .357 mag sometimes.

I used a spreadsheet to score all my guns in the categories of accuracy, concealability, comfort, capacity, caliber, and "intangibles". Then I picked the highest rated for each purpose ("heavy / winter" carry, "light / summer" carry, BUG, Car gun, Home defense, Competition). Some categories were N/A for some purposes (like concealment for Car, HD, and competition). I ended up with guns in all 3 calibers for my personal "best" choices for each purpose.

I'm an accountant by training, so yes, I tend to be a bit anal. I also have another spreadsheet for all my range sessions, and the dates that I last cleaned each gun.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
C-dub wrote:

Chas.
And some of us carry both 9mm and .45 ACP depending on the day. Heck, I even carry .357 mag sometimes.

I used a spreadsheet to score all my guns in the categories of accuracy, concealability, comfort, capacity, caliber, and "intangibles". Then I picked the highest rated for each purpose ("heavy / winter" carry, "light / summer" carry, BUG, Car gun, Home defense, Competition). Some categories were N/A for some purposes (like concealment for Car, HD, and competition). I ended up with guns in all 3 calibers for my personal "best" choices for each purpose.

I'm an accountant by training, so yes, I tend to be a bit anal. I also have another spreadsheet for all my range sessions, and the dates that I last cleaned each gun.
I hear ya with the spreadsheet compulsion. I was in quality control for 12+ years and had spreadsheets so large and complex that I ran out of space in Excel 2003. Maybe it was 2007 version. Anyway, when the 2010 version came out with more columns and rows it was awesome. I could add more data and parameters. Then they got so large that they were making my computer lock up. Everything worked fine from my laptop, but not so much on my work desktop. I finally figured out that my laptop kicked my desktops RAM like crazy and got them to double my RAM at work and all was well again. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Any choice we make is an engineering trade off. When I decided to carry, I figured that 9mm was the way to go. It seemed to me that if it was good enough for LEO's and the military than it was good enough for me. It is powerful, compact, and inexpencive for range use.

I eventually found the Beretta PX4 SC, It shoots pretty well, but I will never be able to shoot it as well my larger guns at distances over 15 yds. With the Desantis Holster, it is not only worn IWB but can is tuckable. It only holds 13 round 9mm Mags and the can be carried in the pocket. This is my most often carried handgun. My decision to own and carry it is based on numerous trade offs and qualities. It has never failed to function, however, I doubt if it could stand up to the reliability and trustworthiness of either the Ruger or the 92FS. It is huge compared to guns like the Nano or Ruger LCP It does handle what I consider effective defensive ammo. 13 rounds is still more than a 1911. For every carry gun we buy there are going to be trade offs. For most of us one of the trade offs will be the price. There may be somethings that folks might not compromise on. Manual Safetys. 1911 style or Glock striker type. Its all a personal decision and often for very subjective qualities like feel looks and trust.
13+ 1
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”