Sig...did I limp wrist it?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

remington79
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Sig...did I limp wrist it?

Post by remington79 »

I'm not sure what is going on. I read a couple of articles about the new 229s not working right. As far as I'm concerned a good quality firearm of any kind should be able to fire any ammo. If it won't function with some ammo I'm not interested. The only exception being tight groups with certain ammo for precision but that's a rifle thing and it is still not a function issue. It is a little concerning when a large agency files suit.
Sent to you from Galt's Gulch.

rotor
Posts in topic: 5

Post by rotor »

remington79 wrote:NJSP are having an issue too but it looks like it might be their cheap range ammo. https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/ ... ing-p229s/
I could see a problem if they were using steel cased and maybe aluminum cased ammo but I don't buy the "cheap" ammo excuse. Government agencies should buy cheaper than you and I pay. Sig may have a problem with these guns but the excuse that it is cheap ammo doesn't fly to me. I personally have never bought a brand of ammo that didn't work but I have had firearms that went back to the manufacturer.

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 15

Post by parabelum »

What gets me is that the problems they were experiencing happened with the newer 229's as well as with older 229's they requested subsequently.

I know some newer 229's had issues with the extractor, but this was nothing that Glock didn't experience with their new gen4's initially with respect to their guide rods etc.

My 229 has a 2015 date code and again, 652 rounds roughly in and I've had two failure to fire instances, all from the same 50 rd box of elite ammunition.

Sometimes gun makers get it wrong and produce a bad batch. Sometimes ammo manufacturers make a bad batch of ammo that will cause issues in any pistol.

As I said, 229 is used by so many agencies, and there are tens of thousands of 229 users out there. I have two 229's and both have been as reliable as my beloved Glocks and HK's.

When gen4's Glocks came out, forums and articles were full of Glock bashers saying the new ones are junk...

My early gen4 Glock 19 has had 5 FTE's out of somewhere in the ballpark of 3000 rds (lost exact count after two 1000 rd cases).
In all but one instance ammo that was in at the time of FTE was wwb 115gr, so, is my Glock not reliable because of 5 out of 3000 stat (99.83%)?

Or my p229 with 2 failure to fires out of 652 rds (99.69%)?

Bring any gun to the shooting table and you will have a malfunction eventually, whether the cause is ammo, gun or you.

Important part for me personally is how to deal with malfunction, and I will not carry a pistol that will not run 1 out of 100, 3 out of 200...rds w/o malfunctioning... my 99% rule...

Topic author
parabelum
Posts in topic: 15

Post by parabelum »

Ran another box of 50rds of Speer gold dot ammo through my 229R, no issues at all.

Side note,

I was working a wreck the other day and I noticed DPS officer was carrying a 229R, I didn't realize that's what they carried. As we stood there waiting for the tow truck we talked guns.

He was pleased with his, never had any issues with new extractor and never came across a collague who had issues either.

Hope NJSP and Sig get it straightened out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”