Washington Examiner: "New record: America arms itself, 'necessary steps to defend selves'"

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Washington Examiner: "New record: America arms itself, 'necessary steps to defend selves'"

Post by The Annoyed Man »

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/new-r ... le/2624952
The spurt in terror attacks, including the recent two in England, are pushing gun sales into record territory just months after predictions that the election of a pro-gun president would end the rush.

The FBI just reported that the number of gun sales background checks for May was the highest ever for that month, 1,942,677, a trend that will make 2017 the first or second highest year for gun sales.

-------SNIP------

"People are nervous about their safety, and rightly so. It's a dangerous world we live in and American citizens know that we're not immune to terrorist attacks. They're taking the necessary steps to defend themselves. Frankly, the most recent terrorist attack in London underscores the importance of an armed populace. Remember that when seconds count the police are only minutes away,"........
The gun pundits were off in their predictions.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

bblhd672

Re: Washington Examiner: "New record: America arms itself, 'necessary steps to defend selves'"

Post by bblhd672 »

sigh...I hope this doesn't mean higher prices and less availability of ammo again. :???:

I have an idea though...how about the government make all of that 1.5 billion rounds of ammo it bought during the Obama regime available to tax payers for no charge? We did, after all, pay for it already.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Re: Washington Examiner: "New record: America arms itself, 'necessary steps to defend selves'"

Post by Jusme »

It's not just fear of terrorism, that is helping fuel gun sales. There are several States who have tried unsuccessfully, this session to add more restrictions. People are still worried, that even if the Federal government is not after their guns, their own State legislatures are.

Another thing they don't list, is the fact that several more States, have gone to permitless, or "Constitutional Carry" which frees up a lot more people who may not want, or have the need for a permit.
There are also more States, like Texas, who have either eased restrictions, or lowered the cost of obtaining a permit to carry.

Add in lower prices/rebates for several models of handguns, and these numbers are not surprising.

I would venture to bet that the 1.92 million number, is low, due to the fact that LTC holders in a lot of places, don't have to go through the background check process.

This whole thing is confusing, because the MSM told us, that gun sales were going to drop so much that gun stores would be closing by the hundreds. If you can't trust MSM who can you trust? :mrgreen:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Nuts

Post by Nuts »

lol I bought 3 myself last month. 2 shields and a lower. It was because of the prices not fear. And I know of 10 other firearms and lowers that freinds/family bought last month too.

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Nuts wrote:lol I bought 3 myself last month. 2 shields and a lower. It was because of the prices not fear. And I know of 10 other firearms and lowers that freinds/family bought last month too.
I bought two lowers in the last year and one Bushmaster AR15 the weekend before the election in 2016 because I thought Hillary was going to win. I finally figured out how to install lower kits myself, so I am building up my two AR's in the next few months. :cool:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

ScottDLS wrote:
Nuts wrote:lol I bought 3 myself last month. 2 shields and a lower. It was because of the prices not fear. And I know of 10 other firearms and lowers that freinds/family bought last month too.
I bought two lowers in the last year and one Bushmaster AR15 the weekend before the election in 2016 because I thought Hillary was going to win. I finally figured out how to install lower kits myself, so I am building up my two AR's in the next few months. :cool:
I'm going to have to start shopping for some new ones soon myself. All mine got lost in a boating incident.
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Vol Texan wrote:I'm going to have to start shopping for some new ones soon myself. All mine got lost in a boating incident.
Isn't it a shame when that happens? I hear it happens to people who don't even own a boat. :biggrinjester:
Oh well, nothing to do but "replenish" your stockpile, right? :fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

ScottDLS
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ScottDLS »

Vol Texan wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:
I'm going to have to start shopping for some new ones soon myself. All mine got lost in a boating incident.
I'm buying my lowers FTF in DFW area now from private sellers. :shock: Next step, 80% lowers... :coolgleamA:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

TreyHouston

Post by TreyHouston »

I completely disagree with this article. There is no gun rush because or terrorism. Everything is lowered prices and on sale due to overstock. Kinda "gun mainia", not gun mania if ya get my drift! :mrgreen:
"Jump in there sport, get it done and we'll all sing your praises." -Chas

How many times a day could you say this? :cheers2:

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

I agree the post election discounts are the most logical explanation for the number of guns sold. I would be a happy camper if ammo prices dropped as much. :fire
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

Flightmare wrote:
Vol Texan wrote:I'm going to have to start shopping for some new ones soon myself. All mine got lost in a boating incident.
Isn't it a shame when that happens? I hear it happens to people who don't even own a boat. :biggrinjester:
Oh well, nothing to do but "replenish" your stockpile, right? :fire
Coincidences ... When they come to take mine, ... mine all fell out of my kayak, (in the back yard at the time, but still ...)

MechAg94

Post by MechAg94 »

Ameer wrote:I agree the post election discounts are the most logical explanation for the number of guns sold. I would be a happy camper if ammo prices dropped as much. :fire
Springfield is offering 4 free mags and a holster through this month. After they announced that, the local gun shop said they were selling a lot of Springfield pistols. That is more mags than a lot of people ever get. I think S&W may have messed up their XDe roll out with the Shield discounts. Lots of competition in single stack concealed pistols.

A local shop to me has some AR's at $499. That is nuts for a store.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

MechAg94 wrote: Springfield is offering 4 free mags and a holster through this month. After they announced that, the local gun shop said they were selling a lot of Springfield pistols. That is more mags than a lot of people ever get. I think S&W may have messed up their XDe roll out with the Shield discounts. Lots of competition in single stack concealed pistols.
Springfield seems to do this once every year or so around this time of the year. Maybe the summer heat brings out shooters, or maybe its a slower time of the season, not sure. I bought my XDs during the summer, I think it was 2 yrs ago and got a similar deal with 3 or 4 extra mags and a carry case if I remember correctly.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”