How Concealed do You have to be at work?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

How Concealed do You have to be at work?

Post by cmgee67 »

How well concleaed must you be at your place of employment if carry is allowed? Where I work I must stay concealed 100% of the time. Printing is not an issue but the gun must stay concealed. The occasional shirt coming up and what not when bending over or reaching up or the adjustment of the pants is fine but basically my employer does not want customers to see the firearm. I totally understand that rule and happily abide by it.

maverick2076
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How Concealed do You have to be at work?

Post by maverick2076 »

We are required to carry concealed if we are carrying and in uniform. If I'm at work in civvies I can carry open or concealed.

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

cmgee67 wrote:How well concleaed must you be at your place of employment if carry is allowed? Where I work I must stay concealed 100% of the time. Printing is not an issue but the gun must stay concealed. The occasional shirt coming up and what not when bending over or reaching up or the adjustment of the pants is fine but basically my employer does not want customers to see the firearm. I totally understand that rule and happily abide by it.
I think you answered your own question?

jason812

Post by jason812 »

In the console of the hoopty :banghead:
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

jb2012

Post by jb2012 »

Well, I work at a gun range and on a ranch... I'll open carry at the range, and at the ranch I just don't think about it. At school though I do stick to deep concealment.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

"No intentional open carry" is what our employee handbook says.

Keep it concealed but if it your shirt rides up or you have to take off your cover garment to work on something then put it back on it's no big deal. Just don't want it visible all the time when a customer walks in.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

striker55

Post by striker55 »

I worked with a need to know basis, front desk third shift at a hotel, luckily dress code was a shirt outside my pants. I didn't tell them I was carrying. :clapping:

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Texas state agencies follow the law and, with some exceptions, do not prohibit lawful carrying of firearms. Their employee handbooks/manuals have sections something like "Starting Jan. 1, employees with Concealed Handgun Licenses will be able to bring their weapons to work, concealed
or properly holstered in accordance with state law. The policy ensures the --- agencies treatment of their employees
will be in line with Senate Bill 273, which prohibits state agencies from posting signs banning handguns from their
premises and House Bill 910, which allows Texans with CHLs to openly carry holstered handguns.
The new policy will give --- employees the same rights under the law as all Texans."

My wife works for TRS. She prefers to carry concealed. When I visit her at work, I carry openly. Neither of us have had any issues with either the employees or the security people.

I work at a state agency, but my employer is a contractor. The agency says their employees can carry openly or concealed. My employer's policy is no weapons on "company property." But I am not working on company property. So, for me, the situation dictates that I carry my weapon totally concealed. I carry my three spare magazines openly, but detach my pistol in its Safariland 7TS ALS holster from it QLS mount on my belt and conceal it. When I leave the building, I return to carrying openly.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I'd do federal time if I carried.

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

lol...that's like asking, "how pregnant are you?"...either you are or you aren't...lol
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Deep Concealed carry for me at work, when I do.

No signs posted, no notice given but the employee handbook (written out of New Jersey where corporate resides) I feel like the wording could give them grounds to write up/fire.

However, apparently at one of the safety meetings they covered an active shooter, apparently the GM for the building or one of the other managers remarked something like 'I know we have several CHL/LTC holders in the building, so don't think it'll ever be much of an issue' referring to an active shooter situation. Its almost enough for me to ask about getting some sort of approval/permission ... but afraid that could end up leading to notice. So maybe I'll just leave it at the TX management is aware of what would be required to stop carry, but choose not too, sort of a nod/wink type situation.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Unfortunately, my place of employment, is posted both 30.06 and 30.07, as well as having a no firearms policy in the manual. Mine stays in my truck about 25 steps from my office, unless, on cold days, I "forget" and it accidentally comes in with me. then it is in a drawer, in my desk. I don't worry too much about "taking the ride" but I am aware that my job would be in jeopardy. I have been actively seeking employment elsewhere, but nothing I have found pays as well, or is as close to home, for me.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

jason812 wrote:In the console of the hoopty :banghead:
This is the situation I would also be in except that my employer is so well posted and the employee parking area is so unprotected that I won't even leave it there for fear that someone could go through and probably have a field day collecting firearms from those that are forced to leave them there.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

txglock21

Post by txglock21 »

This is a sore subject for me. I work for a city government, so they are not allowed to post signs restricting carrying, but they can restrict their employees from it, which they do! So in other words, Any "Joe LTC" can walk right into my office with theirs, but I can't in my own office. (Legally I can, but can be fired for it!) :banghead: Just 6 more years and I will have my 30 and will be retiring. :clapping: :woohoo
"Laugh about everything or cry about nothing."
NRA Life Member & TSRA Member/ Former USAF

E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

None, ZERO, I could open carry if thats what I wanted... BUT we work in locations open carry is not allowed (School parking lots) so even though the company supports open or concealed carry, our work environment in 3 of 6 locations does not allow open carry
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”