Do I need to rethink my EDC?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 3

Do I need to rethink my EDC?

Post by Crash »

I usually carry either a Ruger LCR in .38 Spl with 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel loads or a 9mm Shield with 124 gr HST loads. However, I may need to rethink this. I'm fairly small (5'6", 160 lbs), getting along in years (75) and because of these factors I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to something more powerful. At my size and age, I'd hate to go hand-to-hand with a guy 25 years old, 6'4" tall and 250 lbs. For me, the gun is not the last resort in a self-defense situation, it's the first resort. So I'm thinking about a heavy-loaded .44 Spl, a .45 ACP, or a .357 Magnum.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Crash

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do I need to rethink my EDC?

Post by RPBrown »

There are those that argue shot placement is all that is required. However, I am getting up there in years and my mobility and strength is not what it used to be, AND, when put into a self defense situation, no matter how much practice you've had, it will be a very adrenaline filled stressful time. Therefore, I carry a .45 with either a .380 or 9mm as a BUG. If it weren't so heavy and ammo so expensive, I might even consider carrying my S&W 500 (although I have actually carried it a few times but it is heavy)
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Crash wrote:I usually carry either a Ruger LCR in .38 Spl with 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel loads or a 9mm Shield with 124 gr HST loads. However, I may need to rethink this. I'm fairly small (5'6", 160 lbs), getting along in years (75) and because of these factors I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to something more powerful. At my size and age, I'd hate to go hand-to-hand with a guy 25 years old, 6'4" tall and 250 lbs. For me, the gun is not the last resort in a self-defense situation, it's the first resort. So I'm thinking about a heavy-loaded .44 Spl, a .45 ACP, or a .357 Magnum.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Crash
It will depend on what you fell you can shoot with confidence. A larger frame gun will reduce felt recoil, and a full size M&P will give you many more rounds than the shield. To me the difference in grip size between the shield and the full size M&P in not even noticeable. I have very small hands, and can easily manipulate the mag release, and slide lock without having to change my grip. Personally, I prefer, more capacity, to bullet diameter, but that is a choice you will have to make for yourself. I would try out other guns, in the configurations you listed, and see which ones will best suit you. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Crash,

Great question.

My thoughts: Even if you shoot a .22 LR, shoot the gun you can shoot effectively.

I'll paraphrase that old cliche: It's better to hit with the ammo you're carrying, than miss with a big, honking caliber round...

Being a Peter Hathaway Capstick fan of African white hunter lore, one of his clients, was attacked in her tent by lion. She shot it in the head with a .22 short. It died immediately.

P.S. I knew him (sorta of) in a very roundabout way. He was also some great and generous kinda guy... (He used to say the greatest (paraphrasing again) danger was a 90 lb women driving a 4000 lb pound vehicle) He was referring to his Mother, who eventually hired a driver. This was in Houston some years ago...

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

We are the same size, however I'm a bit younger but with a take it as you found me medical condition.
I typically carry a mdl 37 j frame or a small 9mm on my travels to and from work because I can't carry safely and still perform my job so I have to leave things either in my toolbox or truck.
On the weekends or out and about in opt for a 45 or a high capacity 9mm. I also let the weather dictate what maybe my best choice.

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Crash,

I think that setup you've got is more then adequate. If you shoot well with it, just stick with what you're familiar with.

.45 acp is great but you're giving up capacity and/or adding weight.

357 mag is definitely effective but atomic round it is not. Plus, unless you carry it in a hefty wheel gun, recoil is ridiculous :smilelol5:

Meh, I'd stick with your setup.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I would also consider physical ability to handle the larger caliber guns that generally come with greater recoil. There's also the greater weight mentioned by others and greater grip size for many handguns. Especially if you were to go to .45 ACP. Just a few factors to consider.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Crash,

I am also same size as you and in my sixties. If I knew I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. :biggrinjester:

Situational awareness, training, training, training ( did I mention training?), and shot placement are key. I have .45's but have found over time that for CC, I favor my 9's. They are easier to conceal, I am more accurate with them, follow-up shots are better, typically larger mag capacity, and a stop shot is a stop shot, is a stop shot. The higher velocity is also more useful if for some (highly unusual) reason you might need to engage outside of typical self defense close quarters distances.

Not sure where you live, but if in Dallas I would be glad to recommend some professional training where you will be able to practice drawing from the holster, shooting on the move, stop shots, multiple target engagement, shooting from behind barriers, etc., etc.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

rotor

Post by rotor »

I think you are adequate as long as you have enough capacity. LCR is 5 shot so either you carry a speed loader (JII-357/38 Speed Loader at Amazon) which is fast or Bianchi Speed strips which are easy to carry but much slower. I have both and never carry the speed loader. Same for the Shield, extra mag needed. I have to admit that I am not very accurate with my LCR but am better with my 9mm Shield or my Glock 43. I carry my LCR when I am in snake habitat with the first round set for snakeshot but the rest regular ammo. Lesson, you can not load snake shot in an LCR except as round 1 without causing cylinder lock up as it is such a light gun. If you put more than one in you can expect to lock up or even worse, get lead shot in the crane as the plastic caps move forward and break. If you open the cylinder and then try to close it with shot falling into the crane you will discover that a revolver does jam even worse than an auto. Been there and done that.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

rotor wrote:I think you are adequate as long as you have enough capacity. LCR is 5 shot so either you carry a speed loader (JII-357/38 Speed Loader at Amazon) which is fast or Bianchi Speed strips which are easy to carry but much slower. I have both and never carry the speed loader. Same for the Shield, extra mag needed. I have to admit that I am not very accurate with my LCR but am better with my 9mm Shield or my Glock 43. I carry my LCR when I am in snake habitat with the first round set for snakeshot but the rest regular ammo. Lesson, you can not load snake shot in an LCR except as round 1 without causing cylinder lock up as it is such a light gun. If you put more than one in you can expect to lock up or even worse, get lead shot in the crane as the plastic caps move forward and break. If you open the cylinder and then try to close it with shot falling into the crane you will discover that a revolver does jam even worse than an auto. Been there and done that.
rotor,

Thanks for the info. I've carried the LCR with snake shot in the first two chambers, but never had to use it. I won't do that again.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

Jusme wrote:
Crash wrote:I usually carry either a Ruger LCR in .38 Spl with 135gr Gold Dot Short Barrel loads or a 9mm Shield with 124 gr HST loads. However, I may need to rethink this. I'm fairly small (5'6", 160 lbs), getting along in years (75) and because of these factors I'm wondering if I shouldn't go to something more powerful. At my size and age, I'd hate to go hand-to-hand with a guy 25 years old, 6'4" tall and 250 lbs. For me, the gun is not the last resort in a self-defense situation, it's the first resort. So I'm thinking about a heavy-loaded .44 Spl, a .45 ACP, or a .357 Magnum.

What say ye?

Thanks,

Crash
It will depend on what you fell you can shoot with confidence. A larger frame gun will reduce felt recoil, and a full size M&P will give you many more rounds than the shield. To me the difference in grip size between the shield and the full size M&P in not even noticeable. I have very small hands, and can easily manipulate the mag release, and slide lock without having to change my grip. Personally, I prefer, more capacity, to bullet diameter, but that is a choice you will have to make for yourself. I would try out other guns, in the configurations you listed, and see which ones will best suit you. JMHO
jusme,

Thanks for your input. I also have very small hands, but I don't have too much trouble manipulating the mag release on my FNS-9.

What position would you, or do you, carry the full size M&P? I usually carry in the appendix position.

Crash

Sport Coach

Post by Sport Coach »

All good advice above which is why I read this site. From my reading and talking to people who know much more than I do, I'm satisfied with placement and shooting a gun well as being much more important that caliber. Here is a quote from recent reading which I recommend at least going to the library/bookstore and reading this one chapter:
Chapter 23 – Knockdown is a myth: “Raw power, it seems, is no substitute for precise shooting. … The key to sure kills: bullet placement. … The notion that your bullet must carry a certain level of kinetic energy to kill big game is widely accepted because it makes sense. In truth, it is flawed. … I think the allure of super-potent cartridges has to do, at least in part, with the perverse notion that recoil tests manliness. … Shooting is not about absorbing recoil; it’s about hitting the target.” – Shooter’s Bible Guide to Rifle Ballistics by Wayne van Zwoll
“Hope is an expensive commodity. It makes better sense to be prepared.” - Thucydides

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

You could up your capacity, get better trigger action, and sharply reduce reload times with either a Shield or XDS in 9mm. Felt recoil will likely be very comparable or even a bit less due to a bit more weight and more of a grip to spread the recoil impulse over more of the hand.

The same guns in .45 would give you marginally better stopping power (IMHO) at the cost of some increase in recoil, but a lot less than you might think.

My suggestion would be to go to a range that rents these guns and give 'em a try. Either one works for appendix or pocket carry (I carry exactly these in cargo shorts in hot weather) and they're also very easy to conceal IWB behind the strong side hip.

I think you'll find something you'll like with one or the other.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jusme »

Crash wrote:
Jusme wrote:

What say ye?

Thanks,

Crash
jusme,

Thanks for your input. I also have very small hands, but I don't have too much trouble manipulating the mag release on my FNS-9.

What position would you, or do you, carry the full size M&P? I usually carry in the appendix position.

Crash
I carry OWB at 3 o'clock whether OC or CC. I have a DeSantis Scabbard holster with a thumb break. It holds it high and tight and can conceal with just an untucked shirt. I have tried IWB at various positions, but never found a comfortable way to carry it. I know others carry full size guns IWB with no issues, but it just didn't work for me.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

stroo

Post by stroo »

Two questions you need to answer:
What will you carry?
What can you shoot accurately?

I have 44 spls and 45s but don't carry them because they have gotten to heavy for me. Can you handle the extra weight and size?

I have a 44 magnum that I have never carried because after the first shot I couldn't hit with it. I didn't use to carry my j-frames because I wasn't very accurate with them. Then I put on Hogue oversized grips on the j-frames. Now I shoot them accurately and can still even pocket carry them. So now I do. As others have said, accuracy is way more important than caliber.

So carry a gun you will carry and can shoot accurately.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”