Does this look right?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Does this look right?

Post by newTexan »

Ok this is probably just me being paranoid, but I figure it never hurts to ask the internet for an opinion. :-)

Does the 1911 (Springfield TRP) look correct in the attached pic. Specifically, the way the barrel and the guide rod don't quite line up. Normal or indicative of a problem?

Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_3095.JPG

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Does this look right?

Post by Pawpaw »

That's the way it's supposed to be. When the slide starts moving back, the chamber end of the barrel drops down.

Work the slide slowly while watching inside the ejection port and you'll see what I mean.

Watch this video. You can see it at about the 4:00 mark.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
newTexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by newTexan »

Thanks! Also just found a pic from the web that shows exactly what I'm seeing. Looks like this is totally normal. Thanks for the help. As always, folks on here are really helpful. I love how friendly this community is on here.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

But why does the guide rod stick out further than the barrel? That's what I thought the OP was asking. Is it just this model?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

But why is there a guide rod on a 1911?
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

ninjabread wrote:But why is there a guide rod on a 1911?
All 1911s have guide rods. The most common is the short (standard) guide rod:

The second most common is a full-length guide rod which requires an end cap with a hole in it to allow the rod to pass as the slide moves back:

There are others, but those are the most common.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

george wrote:
C-dub wrote:But why does the guide rod stick out further than the barrel? That's what I thought the OP was asking. Is it just this model?
Dude, the barrel retracts backwards as it pivots to unlock.
Yes, but the guide rod on my 1911 never sticks out like this when functioning. I've never seen an extended one like in Pawpaw's image and didn't know they existed. My slide retracts backwards exposing the barrel and the barrel only moves backwards enough to be ready to receive the next round. This can all be seen in the animation that Pawpaw also provided. Does the guide rod in that animation do what is seen in the OP's picture?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Pawpaw wrote: The second most common is a full-length guide rod which requires an end cap with a hole in it to allow the rod to pass as the slide moves back:

What is the reason for having this full length longer guide rod?

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

C-dub wrote:What is the reason for having this full length longer guide rod?
Some people want the recoil spring 100% supported. Others want the extra muzzle weight they claim it provides to reduce muzzle flip. Still others just think it looks cool.

1911s have been performing well for over 100 years with the standard (short) guide rod, but you know how some people are.

EDIT: I'm not implying the OP fits into any of those categories. Some pistols come that way from the factory, which I suspect is the case with the OP's pistol.

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

I thought it looked a bit odd, but what do I know? I thought the whole flat trigger thing looked odd and then I went and put one on my M4 last week. I think it looks kinda cool, but like I said, what do I know?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”