GUN BROKER

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
swilkes
Posts in topic: 6

GUN BROKER

Post by swilkes »

any one use it with any success? any horror stories? any better places to look?

some time around the end of the month I am going to be in the market for a 1911. either a KIMBER Super Carry HD or a STI Lawman. preferably the latter. Both guns are discontinued as far as I can tell. I have seen a couple each on gun broker but no experience with them. gun store owner told me to stay away from there. its a scam he said. friends rack up the bids.

parabelum
Posts in topic: 1

Re: GUN BROKER

Post by parabelum »

I have used GB over the years to both buy and sell. Personally, I've never had an issue there, as a seller nor as a buyer. Matter of fact, it is a go-to place for me when I'm looking for something rare or discontinued, or if I am unable to find it locally. Same if you're selling something rare or special that has no market locally or will get you ripped off at your lgs.

I'm giving it a thumbs up.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

:lol: I have used it several times, no problems. If they want unrealistic amounts, I pass. Sometimes you can catch an item with no reserve, and few people found it to bid, so you get a good deal.

In all cases, know what you are willing to pay, and know how much over that makes sense. I never bid until the end, then use auto-bidding. I never know til it ends if I got it, but I always know what I was willing to spend.

:rules:
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

rob777

Post by rob777 »

Texas Gun Trader is another option to consider
"Rescue the weak and the needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.”

twjones

Post by twjones »

Never had any issues. Just be sure you know what the going rate for whatever you're looking for is, you see what the seller is charging for shipping, and any additional fees (e.g. credit card).

flechero

Post by flechero »

I've used gunbroker a few times... as long as you have an ffl to send to or use their list to find one nearby you are fine. As to guys bidding things up, I'm sure if happens sometimes. The guns I have bought have been relisted a few times and I was the only buyer/bidder. I knew what i wanted and what I was willing to pay so I chose "buy it now" option each time.

Makes me wonder if your LGS just wants your money to stay at his shop or he and his buddies are participating in some Tom Foolery of their own.

mot7981

Post by mot7981 »

I agree with the previous posts. I've used Gunbroker with great success as both a seller and a buyer. There's always a good inventory and if the price seems too high, just be patient. I've never had an issue and sellers can be rated with feed back that you can check. Texas Gun Trader is another option and you can use it locally so that is an advantage. However, it's a little hit & miss on whom you deal with. I've met some great folks and made some new friends but I've also been stood up on more than one occasion so try to vet the individual you're dealing with as much as possible. There are also always crazy prices by some sellers and low ball offers by some buyers but that's just stuff you have to wade through. Listing is free so you have to take the bad with the good. Good luck with your search and let us know when you get what you're looking for.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I used it just last week to score a very very very good price on a FN SLP. I think I have only used it 4 times and 3 of those were for used guns cause that's were the deals are. I have never had a problem with the times I have used gunbroker. Know what local FFL you are going to use to ship the gun to before hand and maybe give them a heads up and work out the details before you buy just to make the whole process go smoothly.

The one useful thing about gunbroker is you can see the price and the bids on several of the same firearms. You can use this to see what the going rate is or at least what several people think is a good price.

My brother did bid a rifle up on me one time a few years ago. I was the only one bidding and he thought it was funny to out bid me by $5. "rlol" He of course did give me $5 for his joke but I told him I could have just hung him with the rifle. That is the only time I ever thought or was aware of the price being bid up with no intention of buying the item.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I've used Gunbroker once, to buy my left-handed Ruger Gunsite Scout. Even after shipping and local FFL transfer fee included, it was a decent price. I might have paid the same locally.......if there were any lefty samples available at the time. For some reason, there were a LOT of them for sale by Pennsylvanian FFLs on Gunbroker.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Jago668
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Jago668 »

I've used it a couple times before with good results. Difficult to find actual good deals, but if you are patient you can find them.
NRA Benefactor Member

puma guy
Posts in topic: 8

Post by puma guy »

I've used it to both buy and sell many times and have never had any issues. I am waiting on delivery from a seller as I write this. Besides the obvious as a market place I use it as a barometer for gun values. As Jago668 mentioned patience is the key to finding a good deal.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

I have used it a few times, just to buy, not sell.
No problems, I just make sure I use a seller that has a few hundred good reviews (Feedback Ratings).
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

I have bought two shotguns and my JRC carbine on gunbroker with no problems, I paid 480 for the JRC .45 that was for the gun, shipping and ffl fees total, I suggest if you buy off gunbroker check the information available on the seller before you buy!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Topic author
swilkes
Posts in topic: 6

Post by swilkes »

Thanks is for all the replies. I am not so nervous about gunbroker now.

As far as the gun shop telling me such horror stories maybe be the case here to get me to buy there. Specially since they are closing this weekend. I only went in there to register for a free gun.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

As an alternative, try looking on Gun Deals for the specific models you're interested in. You'd be amazed how much new old-stock is still out there. Just enter the manufacture's model designation and search. I've found new guns for much cheaper using this site than I could find used ones on GB.

For instance, searching '3000265' (Kimber Super Carry Pro HD model number) came up with this site that has them in stock.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”