AR500 armor help

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

AR500 armor help

Post by cmgee67 »

I'm gonna be buying a pair of 10x12 plates for my carrier and I am not sure what to really look for. I know you either want some with the anti spalling coating or you can buy the Kevlar pads but Kevlar has a shelf life and I don't wanna buy those. I'd rather have plates ready to go with the coating.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: AR500 armor help

Post by Bitter Clinger »

cmgee67 wrote:I'm gonna be buying a pair of 10x12 plates for my carrier and I am not sure what to really look for. I know you either want some with the anti spalling coating or you can buy the Kevlar pads but Kevlar has a shelf life and I don't wanna buy those. I'd rather have plates ready to go with the coating.
You can get ceramic or polymer rifle rated plates (L IV) that are significantly lighter in weight, although more expensive:

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-b ... armor.html
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

:iagree: with the ceramic plate route. 500 steel will be very heavy. and IIRC the ceramic plates designed to go into vests also have a bit of a curve to them to fit better to the body.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 2

Post by cmgee67 »

Will check em out thanks!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”