NRA Doesn't Allow 1911's at New Classes

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Re: NRA Doesn't Allow 1911's at New Classes

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

treadlightly wrote:As with any new design, there are uncertainties that may reveal themselves over time.

I imagine once the 1911 has been in circulation long enough to prove its merit, the NRA will be happy with them.

Personally, I think the 1911 design has a lot of promise, even if it isn't a tried-and-true striker gun.
Yeah, I'm not sure whether those new fangled metal parts will be as reliable as the plastic parts in my Glocks.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 1

Post by ninjabread »

Looking at the instructor photo, I assume they're trying to avoid 1911-leg incidents in their high speed operator classes.
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Pawpaw wrote:I am not interested in any "training" that prohibits 1911s. A class that prohibits any proven combat firearm is a non-starter in my book.
I Concur!!!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

OlBill

Post by OlBill »

Ban the greatest fighting pistol in history? Good luck with your little program.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

Wasn't there another thread on this topic early this morning? Someone in that thread had a pretty good explanation that made sense but I can't seem to find the thread now.

4copas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by 4copas »

RossA wrote:Recently the NRA announced a series of new classes called Carry Guard. Apparently they have decided that 1911's won't be allowed as a "primary weapon" for the classes, but will be as a back up.
Makes no sense to me, but then, it's the NRA.
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... Newsletter
WHAT ????? :???:
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

Jusme wrote
:headscratch

That's odd, not sure what the reason would be unless, there is a minimum number of rounds that need to be fired before performing a reload.
How about a Para Ordnance P13? Is that enough rounds?
Other than the magazine capacity, its basically a 1911.

LucasMcCain

Post by LucasMcCain »

RossA wrote:No excuse for poor trigger discipline.
My understanding is that after his hand was obliterated by a grenade, the pieces of it were sent back with him in a baggie full of snow. They were able to mostly reassemble it with extensive surgery and some grafts from other parts of his body, but he does not have full mobility and use of it. It's very possible that he simply can't straighten that finger fully. To my mind, that is a valid excuse.

ETA: Found a description from a little googling:

...a truly horrifying injury in 1983. It’s as ugly a tale as can be easily imagined—a malfunctioning prototype, an unexpected detonation, a near bleed-out, and the fragments of this world-class shooter’s right hand packed in a bag of snow.

“No way we’re gonna be able to save that hand,” was the first verdict. In the end, multiple operations, harvested bones and skin from elsewhere on his body—and a Ruger Security Six in the operating room for a mold so his grip and trigger finger could be reconstructed—gave James a right hand of sorts, though with a permanently shortened trigger finger and no “web” between the thumb and index finger. “It was a blessing in many ways, though that was harder to see at the time. I decided to see it as a challenge, and it sure gave me empathy for the pains and difficulties of others,” he says.
I prefer dangerous freedom to safety in chains.

Let's go Brandon.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

While I have empathy for the man's circumstances, I do not believe it was wise to use his picture.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

So....maybe because of the hand injury, he is unable to demonstrate for students the proper disengagement of the thumb safety on a 1911 when drawing from the holster?

Or maybe they just wanted handguns that would not be jamming / failing to feed all the time? :biggrinjester:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Well, the evolution of guns never stops, like ah, we no longer use blunderbusses, or flintlocks for self defense, and most of us drive newer models vehicles, but yes, I do occasionally see a Model T tootling down the road - perhaps it's finally time the 1911 started it's tootling down the road...except for aficionados of antique firearms...

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Bitter Clinger wrote:So....maybe because of the hand injury, he is unable to demonstrate for students the proper disengagement of the thumb safety on a 1911 when drawing from the holster?

Or maybe they just wanted handguns that would not be jamming / failing to feed all the time? :biggrinjester:
I saw this proposed class described somewhere as a "Level 1" class - which I took to mean "entry-level". The 1911 platform is not a beginner's gun. I love them and own two of them, but they are a gunfighter's gun, not a beginner's gun. Maybe that is the reason?
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

850 bucks for a three day class?

No thank you

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

1911 10MM
Posts in topic: 3

Post by 1911 10MM »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:So....maybe because of the hand injury, he is unable to demonstrate for students the proper disengagement of the thumb safety on a 1911 when drawing from the holster?

I saw this proposed class described somewhere as a "Level 1" class - which I took to mean "entry-level". The 1911 platform is not a beginner's gun. I love them and own two of them, but they are a gunfighter's gun, not a beginner's gun. Maybe that is the reason?
I would argue that semi autos with no manual safety aren't beginner guns either.

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Bitter Clinger »

1911 10MM wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:

I would argue that semi autos with no manual safety aren't beginner guns either.
So, argue. :waiting:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”