Big 45 Metal Cleaner for rust

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 2

Big 45 Metal Cleaner for rust

Post by mupepe »

The other day I picked up one of my older rifles and was inspecting it under a bright light when I noticed some rust freckling I had never seen before. Very light but easily noticeable under very bright light. I panicked since this is the only gun I've ever gotten rust on. I also ran and checked all my others under bright light and thankfully it was just this one.

Anywho, started googling for the best way to get rid of it and saw recommendations for steel wool which I wasn't keen on taking to a 60 year old blued rifle. Then I saw a few recommendations for Big 45 Metal Cleaner. Shaped liked steel wool and advertised as not hurting the blue but removing the rust. $6 shipped straight from them I gave it a shot. Amazing! It came right off and didn't do a darn thing to the blue. You don't have to be gentle but you also don't have to really put in elbow grease. It kind of just wiped off rubbing it over the rust. I even cut a bit off, wrapped it around a bronze brush and ran it down the barrel to make sure I cleared it too since they also say its a great lead and residue remover.

I'm not sure how many are aware or this product but it was such a great value and worked exactly as advertised so I felt like I should share.

mrvmax
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Big 45 Metal Cleaner for rust

Post by mrvmax »

0000 steel wool with Kroil works fine for me and I've never messed up a finish with it.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I don't have a recommendation for removing rust, that is not too abrasive, but it just reminded me that the greatest threats to firearms are rust and Democrats. Check your home carefully for hidden Democrats. :smilelol5:

Seriously, there are several experts here who will give you advice that is actually helpful.

:tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

As long as it's very light rust spots, you can get it off with a patch soaked in gun oil.

I did that several years ago on my father's 1959 Browning Sweet Sixteen. It wasn't hard and, like your case, all the rust spots disappeared without leaving a blemish.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Topic author
mupepe
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mupepe »

Thanks for the input all. I read lots of solutions with the steel wool but I messed up some finish (not on a gun) previously by using it too aggressively and I was too paranoid to try that on this rifle. I think the rust had been there awhile but I just never saw it until using bright lights. I tried soaking it and then using a patch but that didn't work. Neither did a nylon tooth brush. This took it right off.

Chemist45

Post by Chemist45 »

0000 steel wool with your favorite oil.
Takes the rust, leaves the blue.
I've used this on everything from modern "Blackening" to classic slow rust blued finishes.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”