I just had a reality check

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 5

Re: I just had a reality check

Post by The Annoyed Man »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:Boer War was Britain vs. Dutch in southern Africa at about the same time. A young Winston Churchill gained some military experience in that one.
The story of Churchill's escape from a POW camp is Indiana Jones stuff, and all true. BTW, he was supposed to be there in a non-combat role, but that boy always did like a good fight.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

John Galt
Posts in topic: 1

Post by John Galt »

I had been giving some thoughts to this subject. There are some situations in which I will just take the 42 or 43, but in others will dress accordingly and conceal the G 19 or the FN 509. I would rather not have to bother with another mag.

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

For .45 I carry Glock 30S (not SF) (about size of Glock 26) with Glock 21 Magazine with +2 baseplate for 16 rounds
I have an Xd with Plus3 baseplate for 16 rounds of .45, but it's bigger and heavy

For Capacity I carry a Glock 26 with Glock 17 mag with +3 Pircegrip baseplate for 21 rounds of 9mm (20+1)

I always carry a BUG Glock 26 in pocket with usually 16 rounds of 9mm 15+1 rounds using a Glock 19 mag, sometimes I go light using a Glock26 mag with +3 baseplate for just 14 (13+1) rounds of 9mm in the BUG

The Annoyed Man

John Galt wrote:I had been giving some thoughts to this subject. There are some situations in which I will just take the 42 or 43, but in others will dress accordingly and conceal the G 19 or the FN 509. I would rather not have to bother with another mag.
The primary reason I carry a second magazine is in the event of a magazine-related malfunction. Yeah, it's a Glock, and a magazine malfunction is unlikely, but Murphy always seems to show up when it is least convenient. So.... spare magazine it is.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

#TINVOWOOT

warnmar10
Posts in topic: 3

Post by warnmar10 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I would say, go back to carrying your Glock 19, which it wasn't that long ago you were singing its praises as the perfect carry pistol on the pages of this forum. ...
That's my 2¢. YMMV.
Ditto Sig 226 carried IWB at 4 o'clock...

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

cmgee67 wrote:This Did not happen in real life but it happened in a dream. ...
Point of order: Isn't "reality check" and "it happened in a dream" a contradiction in terms? It sounds more like a fantasy to me.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

LimaCharlie3 wrote:I too have had reality checks, only they weren't dreams. Take from it what you will. I lean towards preferring a heavier, faster round but I still carry a .380 several days a week. Better to carry something than nothing at all, I say.
Several years ago I was in a huge, multi-agency manhunt. At least 30 cars all tryin to get the escaped inmate armed with a hospital guards' gun. In the end, he baled out in a farmers field and took the suicide by cop route. He was hit over 40 times with 9mm. That didn't stop him; it was the lone .357 magnum fired by a reserve deputy that was the only mortal wound. Simply amazing to me then. Shortly after that the department went to .357sig and the city pd went to .40.
Now, my conflicting perspective: my partner had to shoot a guy breaking into his home and hit him 5 times with a .357 magnum, point blank range. Didn't stop him! He kept advancing so far as to rip the bathroom door off the hinges tryin to get to his girlfriend hiding in there. He finally passed out from blood loss but didn't perish. He went to prison. He was on PCP.
So, a few big rounds, a lotta small rounds.... I just can't say which is better anymore. On a side note - that .357sig works. Bad guy shot a deputy, deputy returned fire and dropped that bad guy on the spot. Sorry if I've added to your indecision!
I call Bravo Sierra. Unless you have pictures,if you don't have pictures it didn't happen. On the other hand, they are still good stories. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

warnmar10

Post by warnmar10 »

twomillenium wrote:I call Bravo Sierra. Unless you have pictures,if you don't have pictures it didn't happen. On the other hand, they are still good stories.
Remember when you were a kid and there was this monthly publication the very mention of which probably violates one or another forum rule but, speaking of forum or Forum as it were...

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

warnmar10 wrote:
twomillenium wrote:I call Bravo Sierra. Unless you have pictures,if you don't have pictures it didn't happen. On the other hand, they are still good stories.
Remember when you were a kid and there was this monthly publication the very mention of which probably violates one or another forum rule but, speaking of forum or Forum as it were...
True Detective? Mad Magazine? Cracked? (some of the 'questionable' reading material from my youth). :biggrinjester:
Actually, I'm sure I know who/what you meant. :oops: I didn't believe at least half of that stuff either......
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

WTR wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:
cmgee67 wrote:I'm not goin to stop carrying the 45 shield at work because I have to stay concleaed and I do love my Glock 19. I think I will go with what TAM said and carry my 19 if I need more capacity. I didn't think about buying more holsters and such. That's a good point. I can stick with what I have and make it work. I still sing of the 19's praises it's a great gun. I tried a 2.0 M&p today and I found it too hard to conceal so I didn't pull the trigger. I think I'll just spend more money on ammo and mags for my shield and 19 and go with that. I need the shield in some places due to staying concealed. I loovvvve that gun. For its size and slimness. That 5" on the 2.0 were a little much for me today especially since I carry appending or 3:30 owb strong side and conceal.
:thumbs2:

BTW, I'd be surprised if Pearce (or somebody else) didn't make a +2 mag extension for your Shield. What I did with my G43 is keep the standard OEM mag with the pinky rest as is, and I put a +2 extender on the spare mag - giving me 8 rounds instead of 6 in that mag. I keep the 6 round mag in the gun because it conceals mo' bettah, and the extended as a backup. I'll bet you can set your Shield up the same way.
The gang and drug unit Police Officers that I knew, all praised the .45 for it's ability to put the bad guys down quickly ( even the ones on PCP). I met one "tunnel rat" from Vietnam Nam who praised the 45 for putting a Viet Cong down quickly. The P Officers prefer a .357 as a back up. These were guys who have been there and done that.
And I predominantly carried .45 for most of the time that I've had a license. It wasn't until a couple of years ago that I decided to start carrying 9mm predominantly. I am completely OK with that decision, and do not feel under-armed. Nothing wrong with .45. I'm just not carrying it any longer because I decided I liked my 9mm Glocks enough.

#TINVOWOOT

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

cmgee67 wrote:This Did not happen in real life but it happened in a dream. And while it was only a dream it put everything into perspective. If I was going to be in a self defense situation of not just me but my wife with say 3 attackers my 45 shield in my opinion wouldn't have enough rounds even though I carry a back up mag. I'm not a perfect shot and with that many targets and opportunities I'd miss. I love the M&p pistols and how the feel especially the new grip texture that's in my shield. I'm heavily considering buying an M&P 2.0 9mm. 17+1 cap. Plus I'd carry a back up mag. 35 rounds of 9mm is pretty good.

What are your thoughts am I over thinking this and just had a. As dream or is there any truth to my thoughts. I think there most certainly is. That old saying if you knew you were gonna be in a gun fight wouldn't you carry all you can?
I carry 2-4 backup mags for my Colt Delta Elite.
My Wilsons are 9 rounds and my Colts are 8 rounds. That means a minimum of 27 rounds to 43 rounds until I can get to my vehicle where there are 6 - 8 more loaded magazines. I know, under all but the most extreme circumstances, more than enough. But if at all possible, prepare for the extremes. It makes the normal problems seem small.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”