Team Building Ideas

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
comp73
Posts in topic: 2

Team Building Ideas

Post by comp73 »

My group at work was asked what we wanted to do for a team building event, and we all said we want to go to a shooting range. Our company came back and said they won't sanction this, but we are gonna try and do it anyway, even if we have to pay out of pocket. That being said, does anyone know of a range that offers anything like this? We are looking at somewhere between 10 - 20 ppl divided into 2 - 4 teams. No IDPA or anything like that. The shooting competition would just be each person having their own target and a specific number of rounds, and then counting the points based on hits on the target.

Location would need to be in the Dallas area, east of DFW airport.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

b4aftr
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Team Building Ideas

Post by b4aftr »

I have no idea on real shooting, but the company would probably consider a paintball event. Plenty of venues in DFW that do this exact thing.

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

comp73 wrote:My group at work was asked what we wanted to do for a team building event, and we all said we want to go to a shooting range. Our company came back and said they won't sanction this, but we are gonna try and do it anyway, even if we have to pay out of pocket. That being said, does anyone know of a range that offers anything like this? We are looking at somewhere between 10 - 20 ppl divided into 2 - 4 teams. No IDPA or anything like that. The shooting competition would just be each person having their own target and a specific number of rounds, and then counting the points based on hits on the target.

Call Elm Fork and see if they can do it (972) 556-0103
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

Yeah, it sounds like your company, is not really into "team building"

I don't have a recommendation for ranges for you, but it does sound like a great way to have fun with coworkers. :tiphat:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Topic author
comp73
Posts in topic: 2

Post by comp73 »

bblhd672 wrote:
comp73 wrote:My group at work was asked what we wanted to do for a team building event, and we all said we want to go to a shooting range. Our company came back and said they won't sanction this, but we are gonna try and do it anyway, even if we have to pay out of pocket. That being said, does anyone know of a range that offers anything like this? We are looking at somewhere between 10 - 20 ppl divided into 2 - 4 teams. No IDPA or anything like that. The shooting competition would just be each person having their own target and a specific number of rounds, and then counting the points based on hits on the target.

Call Elm Fork and see if they can do it (972) 556-0103
Thanks for the info, I'll give them a call and see what they can offer.
Jusme wrote:Yeah, it sounds like your company, is not really into "team building"

I don't have a recommendation for ranges for you, but it does sound like a great way to have fun with coworkers. :tiphat:
It's not so much the company as it is the VC group that owns us. Other groups have already done their team building events, just none with firearms. With the VC groups corporate offices in LA and London, it's not a huge surprise they don't like the idea. Current thinking is to foot the bill ourselves for the range time and then using the company funds for the "discussion" and meal afterwards.
One loves to possess arms, though they hope never to have occasion for them. -Thomas Jefferson

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

A group at my company actually went skeet shooting as part of a multi-day training event, in Europe. And my company is very anti-gun (we even have cute little "no guns" signs on the building). So I wouldn't give up all hope of getting it sponsored.

As far as logistics, it sounds pretty straightforward. Just contact a relatively upscale range in your area (upscale so it won't be all that intimidating to newer shooters), and arrange to reserve 4 lanes (assuming you are having people compete as a team). You might also try to negotiate a package price that includes gun rentals, and possibly a short safety / proficiency instruction class if you have more than a couple brand new shooters.

I'd just call around to a couple different ranges until you find one that is excited about working with you. These are all small businesses after all, so they should be able to be pretty flexible.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”