This Texting While Driving is really starting to get to me!

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Pariah3j
Posts in topic: 1

Re: This Texting While Driving is really starting to get to me!

Post by Pariah3j »

gtolbert09 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote: That way our would not be dependent upon a Bluetooth enabled vehicle. The problem is which carrier or phone manufacturer wants to go first by forcing the issue and upsetting a certain number of its customers?
Actually Apple is working on a device (iPhone) that's disables hand held use based on an algorithm that uses speed, g-force and other physics. You either have to have a Bluetooth headset or a vehicle with Bluetooth in order to use the phone. To use the map, you need to key in the destination before you start driving, once you start moving, the ability to type is disabled.

Other manufactures are working similar technology that forces you to use voice to text while driving.

Yes I am employed by a major wireless company. ;)
Looking forward to the end of Apple... they had a good run while it lasted. :leaving
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

mojo84
Posts in topic: 13

Post by mojo84 »

gtolbert09 wrote:
mojo84 wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote: That way our would not be dependent upon a Bluetooth enabled vehicle. The problem is which carrier or phone manufacturer wants to go first by forcing the issue and upsetting a certain number of its customers?
Actually Apple is working on a device (iPhone) that's disables hand held use based on an algorithm that uses speed, g-force and other physics. You either have to have a Bluetooth headset or a vehicle with Bluetooth in order to use the phone. To use the map, you need to key in the destination before you start driving, once you start moving, the ability to type is disabled.

Other manufactures are working similar technology that forces you to use voice to text while driving.

Yes I am employed by a major wireless company. ;)
I'm aware of all that you've said. I have never had an Apple device and do not plan to change that so what Apple does doesn't directly effect me. I am also aware of the Bluetooth device/earpiece needed as that's what I use since my truck doesn't have it built in. I do not hold my phone to my ear not do I text via typing manually while driving.

Since you work for a wireless provider. What's taking the wireless carriers and manufacturers so long to respond? This is not a new issue. Something could have been done long ago instead of waiting until now when we have more ineffective laws on the books.

PS. You bungled the quoting function in your last post.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

apostate wrote:What about a kidnap victim in the trunk? What company is going to invite a wrongful death lawsuit because they blocked their call or text for help? :evil2:
I'm sure a call to 911 would override the block. Even a phone that isn't subscribed to a service will reach 911.
Note: Me sharing a link and information published by others does not constitute my endorsement, agreement, disagreement, my opinion or publishing by me. If you do not like what is contained at a link I share, take it up with the author or publisher of the content.

Abraham
Posts in topic: 11

Post by Abraham »

apostate,

Kidnappers always let their kidnapees keep their phones, right?

Though, to a degree I see your point regarding emergencies and disabled phones.

ninjabread
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ninjabread »

RogueUSMC wrote:
Abraham wrote: *snip*...Until then, I'll rail against it.

BTW, I'm not for ineffective laws against texting and driving, I'm against texting and driving per se. however it can be stopped...*snip*
You really can't rail against Moms Demand because they use the same arguments against guns. We always talk about them not being in full control of rational thought. Those people are not in full control of their emotions and need temperament.
SMART GUNS! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
This is my opinion. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RogueUSMC »

ninjabread wrote:
RogueUSMC wrote:
Abraham wrote: *snip*...Until then, I'll rail against it.

BTW, I'm not for ineffective laws against texting and driving, I'm against texting and driving per se. however it can be stopped...*snip*
You really can't rail against Moms Demand because they use the same arguments against guns. We always talk about them not being in full control of rational thought. Those people are not in full control of their emotions and need temperament.
SMART GUNS! THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 9

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am absolutely opposed to disabling a phone while the car is moving. There are too many times when calls for help are made while driving. 911 is by no means universally available, so leaving that option is not a solution. See, this is precisely the "distracted driving" lie that is being sold to everyone.

Chas.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I am absolutely opposed to disabling a phone while the car is moving. There are too many times when calls for help are made while driving. 911 is by no means universally available, so leaving that option is not a solution. See, this is precisely the "distracted driving" lie that is being sold to everyone.

Chas.
Just to clarify, I agree about disabling a phone's ability to make calls. However, if they did go that route, I'm sure they wouldn't also block 911. That was my only point in my previous comment.

The solution is to make it inconvenient and cumbersome to send and receive texts and emails. The technology is already available, the phone manufacturers and carriers could do it now if they were so inclined. My phone is set up to do it but I do it voluntarily.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by WTR »

Some research has shown that the simple act of changing and listening to a song on the radio can be very distracting. How far are we willing to go. The wearing of a crash helmets has also shown to reduce deaths .... Should we mandate those be worn as well as seat belts? I think we need to address each incident independently.

Ameer
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Ameer »

Abraham wrote:People who are dangerous enough to text while driving should go to prison.

Too harsh?

Nope...
Bicyclists who are dangerous enough to squeeze between lanes of stopped motor vehicles at a red light should be squeezed between lanes of moving motor vehicles when the light turn green.

Too harsh?

Nope...
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

The phone companies can do what they want but it won't solve a damn thing as all of the phones can be hacked to defeat anything the phone companies put in as software. Education is the key not more laws or software.

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

1911 10MM wrote:The phone companies can do what they want but it won't solve a darn thing as all of the phones can be hacked to defeat anything the phone companies put in as software. Education is the key not more laws or software.
You think people aren't aware texting and driving is dangerous?

Nothing will be 100% but if something were to be done, I'd prefer it be done by the phone makers rather than the legislature or congress.

1911 10MM

Post by 1911 10MM »

mojo84 wrote:
1911 10MM wrote:The phone companies can do what they want but it won't solve a darn thing as all of the phones can be hacked to defeat anything the phone companies put in as software. Education is the key not more laws or software.

Nothing will be 100% but if something were to be done, I'd prefer it be done by the phone makers rather than the legislature or congress.
It's unreasonable to expect software to fix the problem when it can be defeated. iPhones can be jail broken and everything else can be hacked. The problem isn't the tool, it's the people who use the tool in an improper manner. Are you a proponent for smart guns?

mojo84

Post by mojo84 »

1911 10MM wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

It's unreasonable to expect software to fix the problem when it can be defeated. iPhones can be jail broken and everything else can be hacked. The problem isn't the tool, it's the people who use the tool in an improper manner. Are you a proponent for smart guns?
Stop with comparison to anti gun idiots that support smart guns as that is insulting, ridiculous and uncalled for as they are two completely different situations.

The average person is not going to jailbreak their phone in order to defeat the texting while driving safety features is they are installed by the manufacturers of carriers. Like I said, nothing is 100% and I do not believe it should be forced by legislation.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

mojo84 wrote:
1911 10MM wrote:
mojo84 wrote:

Stop with comparison to anti gun idiots that support smart guns as that is insulting, ridiculous and uncalled for as they are two completely different situations.

The average person is not going to jailbreak their phone in order to defeat the texting while driving safety features is they are installed by the manufacturers of carriers. Like I said, nothing is 100% and I do not believe it should be forced by legislation.
phone mfgs aren't going to force it on their customers without leg, because their customers don't want it, and if they are forced to put it on, yes the average person will figure out how to break it, that will be the first thing they do.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”