Help with XDS Failure to go into battery

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Help with XDS Failure to go into battery

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

troglodyte wrote:We've got a Shield lined up for her to borrow and I got a P938 from a friend. Haven't found a G23 yet and hadn't thought of the PPS.

We'll keep going down the list. Thanks all! :tiphat:
Careful. She may fall in love with the P938, and that is probably the most expensive of all options listed. The P938 is my EDC for the "BUG / really small gun" role. The P938 feels a lot smaller (at least to me) than the PPS and Shield, so I don't really think of it in the same category. A big decision to make is whether she wants a manual safety since that would eliminate a good chunk of the contenders.

One more to add if she is willing to consider a .380, then try the Glock 42. This may sound odd given what I said about the Glock 43, but shooting the Glock 42 is just a complete and total joy. Very little recoil compared to other similarly sized 380's. Of course, you could also get a J frame instead. The S&W 638 is a great choice, IMHO, and round count / caliber compares favorably to the small 9mm's.

There are so many good choices out there.

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 5

Post by troglodyte »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
troglodyte wrote:We've got a Shield lined up for her to borrow and I got a P938 from a friend. Haven't found a G23 yet and hadn't thought of the PPS.

Careful. She may fall in love with the P938, and that is probably the most expensive of all options listed. The P938 is my EDC for the "BUG / really small gun" role. The P938 feels a lot smaller (at least to me) than the PPS and Shield, so I don't really think of it in the same category. A big decision to make is whether she wants a manual safety since that would eliminate a good chunk of the contenders.

One more to add if she is willing to consider a .380, then try the Glock 42. This may sound odd given what I said about the Glock 43, but shooting the Glock 42 is just a complete and total joy. Very little recoil compared to other similarly sized 380's. Of course, you could also get a J frame instead. The S&W 638 is a great choice, IMHO, and round count / caliber compares favorably to the small 9mm's.

If the P938 works for her then I won't say a word about cost. She likes the idea of a safety and really liked the grip safety since it was automatic. She's a little concerned about a manual safety but with practice it becomes natural. I often catch myself thumbing off the absent safety on my XD. She's hesitant to carry a trigger only safety but could also learn to live with it. I don't want to get her into a DA since the long trigger pull is tough for her short fingers.

shhhh....I'm kinda hoping she likes the P938. I've shot a couple and really like them myself. Ultimately she has to decide what she likes.

Another round of testing tonight!
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

troglodyte wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

If the P938 works for her then I won't say a word about cost. She likes the idea of a safety and really liked the grip safety since it was automatic. She's a little concerned about a manual safety but with practice it becomes natural. I often catch myself thumbing off the absent safety on my XD. She's hesitant to carry a trigger only safety but could also learn to live with it. I don't want to get her into a DA since the long trigger pull is tough for her short fingers.

shhhh....I'm kinda hoping she likes the P938. I've shot a couple and really like them myself. Ultimately she has to decide what she likes.

Be careful. The P938 can be a gateway drug to getting a real 1911. :fire
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
troglodyte
Posts in topic: 5

Post by troglodyte »

Flightmare wrote:
troglodyte wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:

I already have one...but...

Be careful. The P938 can be a gateway drug to getting a real 1911. :fire
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

If she likes the P938, and cost isn't an issue, then consider this model

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/pro ... s_id/95141

Sure it's $730. But it is purdy as all get out.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”