Which pistol red dot system should I buy and why?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ckelly9460
Posts in topic: 2

Which pistol red dot system should I buy and why?

Post by ckelly9460 »

I recently purchased a Glock 40 MOS in 10 MM Auto because I have always been interested in medium to large game pistol hunting. I have already purchased the AmeriGlo tall blacked out suppressor sights now I am having a hard time picking out a red dot system. I am leaning towards the Leupold Delta Point Pro but I would love to hear the input from the group. Please advise! Thanks!
Brave Rifles

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Which pistol red dot system should I buy and way?

Post by carlson1 »

I have only had experience with the Trijicon RMR Dual Illuminated. No batteries to change, rugged, and appears to be very well made. I bought mine used and I have had zero malfunctions with it.

strogg

Re: Which pistol red dot system should I buy and why?

Post by strogg »

+1 on the RMR if you have the money.

If you're like me and can't fathom to spend so much on a simple RDS, then I'd suggest you get either a Vortex or a Fastfire. The former has been on my 500 s&w for some time now with no problems. Even if there was a problem, I'm satisfied that they'll honor their lifetime guarantee. The Fastfire was on my 1911 for a few hundred rounds before I finally took it off. Now it will go on either my AR-308 or my PS90. Haven't decided yet. There are many people who claim that the Fastfires aren't all that great and will break pretty easily. That hasn't been my experience, but it doesn't mean it'll be yours either.

jkurtz

Post by jkurtz »

I am currently using one of the Trijicon dual illuminated RMRs. I initially picked it so I did not have to worry about battery connection issues that were commonly reported using the electronic models which would cause the dot to flicker while firing. However, the dual illuminated model does have issues as well, primarily with the dot washing out. The electronic models do not experience this issue. Whenever the target area is brighter than the area you are standing, the dot becomes very faint and difficult to see. This occurs anytime you use a weapon mounted light, or if you standing in a darkened/shaded area while your target is in direct sunlight.

Trijicon has since introduced a second generation of RMRs which are supposed to address the battery connection issues. I will wait to see if other users confirm this, and if so, I will be upgrading to one of the newer electronic models.

z_g_yang

Post by z_g_yang »

shield RMS, it the only one on the market I know to be able to cowitness with glock factory sight.

omegaman

Post by omegaman »

I got the Leupold DeltaPoint Pro 2.5MOA for my Glock 19 MOS and I love it. I read dozens of reviews for a bunch of different brands. I narrowed my choices to only those models that will allow a battery change without removing the RDS from the pistol and decided on the Leupold. I paid $352 from OP after a 12% discount. I think it's a great choice.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I bought a Vortex Venom from Optics Planet when on sale.

I love it. It's light as a feather.

I mounted in on my Browning Buckmark .22 cal.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I've used both RMRs and Deltapoint Pros.

RMR - sits lower, has a smaller window, glass is slightly tinged blue-ish purple, has better battery life, have to remove the optic to change batteries.
DPP - sits higher, has a larger window, no obvious color change, worse battery life, can change batteries w/o removing the optic.

I've sold my RMRs and use DPPs only now.

Topic author
ckelly9460
Posts in topic: 2

Post by ckelly9460 »

Thank you guys. Just ordered the DPP. Very excited.
Brave Rifles

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”