1911 firing pin return spring question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
strogg
Posts in topic: 2

1911 firing pin return spring question

Post by strogg »

I got myself a new 1911 yesterday and was swapping parts around so I can sell the old one off while keeping some of the upgraded parts from the old one. One thing I noticed is that they both have very different firing pin springs. One is super easy to compress. The other is so stiff that I had to wear eye pro to reinstall the firing pin stop. The stiffer one is also a good cm longer. When the hammer decocked, it won't be able to compress the stiffer spring. On the other hand, the hammer is in complete contact with the firing pin stop on the softer one. Both of them will put a huge dent on even the hardest of primers.

So those are my observations... I know that there are "stiffer" springs out there, but is it really supposed to be *that* stiff? Which one should I run on my gun?

flechero

Re: 1911 firing pin return spring question

Post by flechero »

Extra power firing pin springs are often used as a sort of drop safety for pre series 80 guns... preventing inertia fire if you drop it on the muzzle.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Pawpaw »

Every 1911 recoil spring ordered from Wolff comes with an extra power firing pin spring.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

flechero wrote:Extra power firing pin springs are often used as a sort of drop safety for pre series 80 guns... preventing inertia fire if you drop it on the muzzle.
You can also use a standard spring and a titanium firing pin for the same effect, although I imagine it's cheaper to replace the spring than the firing pin.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero

Post by flechero »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
flechero wrote:Extra power firing pin springs are often used as a sort of drop safety for pre series 80 guns... preventing inertia fire if you drop it on the muzzle.
You can also use a standard spring and a titanium firing pin for the same effect, although I imagine it's cheaper to replace the spring than the firing pin.
Yes, Sir... and some people use both!

Topic author
strogg

Post by strogg »

All rightly. Thank yall for the replies. I guess the "extra power" one I have really is normal and not some crazy off-spec spring that got stuck in there somehow. Time to get another one.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”