DFW West/SW Quadrant Tactical Handgun Training

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Do you prefer Saturday September 9th or Saturday September 23rd for Tactical Handgun training?

Poll ended at Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:41 pm

Are you interested?
44%
Will you attend?
17%
I prefer Saturday September 9th
8%
I prefer Saturday September 23rd
31%

Total votes: 48

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 38

Re: DFW West/SW Quadrant Tactical Handgun Training

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Bitter Clinger wrote:Update: 9 sign-ups, 3 spots remaining.
BTT
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

jminn1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by jminn1 »

Deposit Sent!
This will be the first time I've taken this type of training. Looking forward to it.
Last edited by jminn1 on Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Equality, rightly understood as our founding fathers understood it, leads to liberty and to the emancipation of creative differences; wrongly understood, as it has been so tragically in our time, it leads first to conformity and then to despotism. Barry Goldwater

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

jminn1 wrote:Deposit Sent!
This will be the first time I've taking this type of training. Looking forward to it.
And looking forward to meeting you as well! :cheers2:
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

PackinPig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PackinPig »

Disclaimer: Looking for honest answer, not trying to be a smartass.

Why would a concealed carry class require a "strong-side hip holster"? Not everyone carries on their hip. Some carry appendix, some carry in their pocket, some carry on their ankle, some carry in a shoulder holster, etc...If you are practicing "drawing from the holster", wouldn't you want to practice drawing from the holster you carry with? After all practice is used to create proficiency. Being proficient drawing from the hip isn't that much help if you don't normally carry there. Right?
:txflag:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

bblhd672
Posts in topic: 4

Post by bblhd672 »

PackinPig wrote:Disclaimer: Looking for honest answer, not trying to be a smartass.

Why would a concealed carry class require a "strong-side hip holster"? Not everyone carries on their hip. Some carry appendix, some carry in their pocket, some carry on their ankle, some carry in a shoulder holster, etc...If you are practicing "drawing from the holster", wouldn't you want to practice drawing from the holster you carry with? After all practice is used to create proficiency. Being proficient drawing from the hip isn't that much help if you don't normally carry there. Right?
Because this is training with a bunch of shooters firing at the same time, safety is the number one priority. Having everyone drawing from a hip holster ensures no one is accidentally sweeping another shooter while drawing.

The techniques learned will be applicable to any style of holster, you'll just have to dry fire practice on your own with your preferred holster.

The instructors may allow other style holster practice if there is time and interest. The reason I say "time" is that usually they only allow one or two shooters at a time from alternate holsters to ensure safety of everyone there.

Sign up and go. You'll learn a lot that will improve your shooting and self defense capabilities.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

PackinPig wrote:Disclaimer: Looking for honest answer, not trying to be a smartass.

I can email Phil if you would like more information however as I understand it the focus of this class is "tactical handgun training", e.g., basics of 4 step draw, combat and tactical reloads, malfunction clearing, shooting from cover and concealment and differing stances, moving and shooting, multiple target engagement, two man drills, etc (of course, depending on overall skill level and safety awareness of students) .

I find that in this type of training I, for one, prefer to use a full size handgun and not necessarily my EDC (although I have used both). Speaking from my own experience, the instructor also offers a class focused specifically on concealed carry, including the use of various types of cover garments, alternate methods of on body and off body carry (ankle, appendix, shoulder, fanny pack, briefcase, etc), use of BUGs, and shooting in low light / darkness.

If you are in the DFW area, maybe you will join us?
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

BTT
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

PackinPig
Posts in topic: 2

Post by PackinPig »

Thanks for the quick answer and I appreciate the clarification. Although, I would love to check it out, I'm paying for college at the moment, and unfortunately, don't have the money set aside at the time. However, I will be following this post, along with Phil's website, and would love to know how the class goes. Hopefully, I can catch yall at a class in the future.
:txflag: :cheers2:
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."
"Speak softly and carry a big stick."
-Theodore Roosevelt 26th President of the United States

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Bitter Clinger wrote:
Bitter Clinger wrote:Update: 9 sign-ups, 3 spots remaining.
BTT
Still time, still room for 3 more students.
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Jusme
Posts in topic: 8

Post by Jusme »

Only two spots left, emailed Phil, and he agreed to allow Jusme Jr. in the class. Looking forward to my son getting some top notch training. :anamatedbanana

That is, unless he starts getting better scores than me, then I may have to disqualify him for trying to make me look bad!! :grumble

Really looking forward to the class. :thumbs2:
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Flightmare
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Flightmare »

Jusme wrote: That is, unless he starts getting better scores than me, then I may have to disqualify him for trying to make me look bad!! :grumble
I think that is known as the "Parental Penalty" :P
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SA-TX »

Confirmation of the date: we talked about the 23rd but my confirmation email from Phil says the 16th. I'm going to call him tomorrow but did I lose my mind or was there a change?

SA-TX

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 14

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

SA-TX wrote:Confirmation of the date: we talked about the 23rd but my confirmation email from Phil says the 16th. I'm going to call him tomorrow but did I lose my mind or was there a change?

SA-TX
My email says...
Greetings, you have made a deposit for the TX CHL Forum Handgun Workshop on Saturday 9-23-17 8AM ending between 5PM and 6PM.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Topic author
Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

I am traveling, do not have that email with me but I checked the website calendar and it is the 23rd:
Events for September 23

TX CHL Forum Closed Group
September 23 @ 8:00 am - 6:00 pm
This class is for TX CHL Forum members. It is a 10 hour handgun workshop. Topic will include shooting from the holster, reload techniques, malfunction clearing, speed drills, multiple target engagement. steel target drills and shoot-offs, stress drills. 12 Person maximum. $40.00 deposit required. Class starts at the range 8 AM We meet behind the…
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

SA-TX
Posts in topic: 9

Post by SA-TX »

Good to know. My email does say the 16th so I've replied and asked him for confirmation that it is actually the 23rd. Looking forward to this!

SA-TX

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”