Safe storage.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cheezit
Posts in topic: 3

Safe storage.

Post by cheezit »

As my collection continues to grow my safe is getting smaller. I'm looking for suggestions on how to keep them from getting damaged while in storage.

WTR
Banned

Re: Safe storage.

Post by WTR »

Make sure you do not store ammunition and weapons together.

Topic author
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

WTR wrote:Make sure you do not store ammunition and weapons together.
Thank you, I don't do that one at all.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I'm probably showing a lot of ignorance here, but why?
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

Get another safe.

As flippant as that may sound that is where I am at. I don't have any "valuable" firearms but they are piling up. I also have found that if you buy a 24 gun safe that one half will be used for pistols, jewelry, important documents and other accessories, the other half will not hold 12 guns unless you perform Tetris moves every time you take one out or put one in. Realistically an X-number gun safe will hold 1/4 of the stated capacity of long guns comfortably.

I also need to find a reproductive inhibiting safe. It seems like every time I close the door they multiply. :shock:

Until then I try to put my least used long guns in the back and arrange the scoped/non-scoped long guns so they fit more comfortably. Regardless it gets tiring and bangs up the firearms more than necessary.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I put every firearm in a gun sock before it goes in the safe. This helps protect them some.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Huh? How would that help keep his firearms from getting damaged???
Now back to the OP, wipe the firearms that your do not use frequently (more than a couple of months) down with a gun oil or such. There are many good ones (I like tri-flow). Put them in a gun sock preferably those that are silicone impregnated or you can spray the inside yourself (I like tri-flow) by tuning the sock inside out and then adding a light spray. Have been doing this for years and can tell the difference on a couple that did not get this treatment. :tiphat:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

sjfcontrol

Post by sjfcontrol »

troglodyte wrote:
I also need to find a reproductive inhibiting safe. It seems like every time I close the door they multiply. :shock.
How do I get one of those? I'd happily take yours off your hands!!!
Range Rule: "The front gate lock is not an acceptable target."
Never Forget. Image

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Liberty wrote:
Has not happened to me but I have read about it. If your ammo happens to "cook" off during a fire, it can apparently reek havoc on the weapons.

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

WTR wrote:
Liberty wrote:
Has not happened to me but I have read about it. If your ammo happens to "cook" off during a fire, it can apparently reek havoc on the weapons.
I suppose. But if there is enough heat to cook off the ammo, I would imagine that a lot of havoc would have already been reeked. A good fire resistant could hold off the cooking off I would think.

At any rate, my thought was more along the lines of keeping a few loaded mags or rounds nearby the guns makes tactical sense.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

strogg

Post by strogg »

Liberty wrote:
WTR wrote:
Liberty wrote:
I suppose. But if there is enough heat to cook off the ammo, I would imagine that a lot of havoc would have already been reeked. A good fire resistant could hold off the cooking off I would think.

At any rate, my thought was more along the lines of keeping a few loaded mags or rounds nearby the guns makes tactical sense.
To add, think about it this way. Sure, the ammo won't go off and start creating bullet holes (not enough case pressure will form without a barrel), but you still have extremely flammable powder and a volatile primer in each round of ammo. Couple that with extreme heat in a house fire. And don't forget that the safe will seal and insulate during that time. Insulation goes both ways; it will keep the heat out, but it will also trap whatever heat is generated inside. And of course, the sealing... that part will probably not bode too well if you have enough live ammunition in the safe as pressures inside increase.

I keep all of my ammunition outside the safe in a ventilated closet a good distance from the safe other than a loaded mag or two next to it on a high shelf.

But to answer the OPs question, either play tetris or put them somewhere else (like another safe). The sock idea is a great one, but at that point, you're liable to turn your collection into a giant pile. I know that's what will happen to me.

Texian

Post by Texian »

You might want to get a dehumidifier. Also,you need to remember that Most gun safes do not provide any real burglary protection
"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him." G.K. Chesterton

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I keep my extra ammo in a small Ridgid "job box", It is therefor contained in a steel box. We had a case here where the Fire Chief let a home burn because he could hear ammo cooking off in a garage ( ignorant about ammo cooking off). I do have a weapon with a loaded chamber in the house, but it will be on my person.
Last edited by WTR on Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
cheezit

Post by cheezit »

twomillenium wrote:
Huh? How would that help keep his firearms from getting damaged???
Now back to the OP, wipe the firearms that your do not use frequently (more than a couple of months) down with a gun oil or such. There are many good ones (I like tri-flow). Put them in a gun sock preferably those that are silicone impregnated or you can spray the inside yourself (I like tri-flow) by tuning the sock inside out and then adding a light spray. Have been doing this for years and can tell the difference on a couple that did not get this treatment. :tiphat:
I tend to oil the insides and use renaissance wax on the out side.

I have been considering the socKS but was wondering what else is out there for options.

I've been told a second safe is not an option either :nono:

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

cheezit wrote:
I tend to oil the insides and use renaissance wax on the out side.

I have been considering the socKS but was wondering what else is out there for options.

I've been told a second safe is not an option either :nono:
I use a wax or light grease for long term storage, but still use the sock. I have heard the military now stores firearms in vacuum sealed bags. Anything that keeps humidity or moisture off the firearm. (even those with parkerized finishes
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”