Blueing a barrel

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dhoenich
Posts in topic: 3

Blueing a barrel

Post by dhoenich »

Dad dropped off his old shotgun. It's a Western Auto revelation 12 gauge bolt action gun. Limited research shows it as a Mossberg 195. The stock is in good condition, but there is some surface rust on the barrel. The rest is OK, just needs a good cleaning. It isn't worth much monetarily, but I would like to get it back looking newish. I got a quote of $250 to have it completely gone over and re-blued, but that is too much for a $100 gun. I can pull it apart and polish the barrel, but anyone have suggestions for reblueing it? Looked at duracoat finishes at http://www.lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm? ... ry_ID=1147, but don't know much about them. Just looking for something that is not outrageous for this type of gun.

Thanks,
Dennis_H

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Blueing a barrel

Post by puma guy »

I don't know anything about the products you mentioned. I bought a Marlin/Glenfield Model 60 .22 at a garage sale that had significant rust on about two thirds of the barrel. I cleaned the rusty portion to shiny metal and used Birchwood Casey cold blue on it. I also reblued a rusted and ptted cylinder from my son-in-laws Heritage .22 revolver. I applied several coats to both and the results were minimally satisfactory. I purchased so Brownell's Oxpho and redid the cylinder and it was a vast improvement over the first job with Birchwood. I am going to redo the Marlin as well. I had never cold blued anything but touch-up spots prior to these two guns. If you follow the directions using the Oxpho cold blue you'll get a reasonable looking bluing job but it will never approach a hot blue job.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
dhoenich

Post by dhoenich »

Thanks, Just ordered some of the Oxpho and we'll see what happens.

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

dhoenich wrote:Thanks, Just ordered some of the Oxpho and we'll see what happens.
Keep us posted!
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Topic author
dhoenich

Post by dhoenich »

I'll do some before and after pics that I'll post if i don't mess it up too bad and embarrass myself....

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”