Length of time for the chambered round

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

n5wmk
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Length of time for the chambered round

Post by n5wmk »

Similar, I shoot up my carry rounds (Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP) about every six months and replace with new rounds. I clean my carry gun about every 2 weeks. When I eject the chambered round for cleaning, or if I clear the gun to show it to someone when I'm at home, I'll remove all the rounds from the magazine and put the formerly chambered round into the mix and reload the magazine. That way the chambered round is randomly mixed with the others and isn't so likely to be the first one in the chamber again. I've never had a problem with set-back, flattened nose, failure to chamber or a failure to fire when I do shoot up those rounds.
EDC CZ 2075 RAMI
NRA Benefactor Life Member
USAF 1972-1980
Texas A&M -1980-1984

Medley86
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Medley86 »

Finally shot up my carry ammo today just for the heck of it, had the same round chambered for probably 8 or more months due to lack of time to shoot, and when I do the 380 is way down the list of what I want to shoot. The rounds themselves have been carried for 3 years, sometimes in the primary mag sometimes in the backup probably, when I target shoot I unload the HPs and reload with FMJ then just reload the mags when I'm done. For a couple years I couldn't find my carry ammo anywhere. Even after 3 years guess what they all functioned fine, about a 1 foot group dominant hand only, point shooting, just above waist high at 4-5 yards.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

imkopaka
Posts in topic: 1

Post by imkopaka »

I've never noticed anything like that with a handgun or rifle, but shotgun shells that get messed with too often get MESSED UP.
Never bring a knife to a gun fight.
Carry gun: Springfield XD Tactical .45

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”