Ammo Availability and Cost for 25-20, 32-20, 32-40, and .32 ACP

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 5

Ammo Availability and Cost for 25-20, 32-20, 32-40, and .32 ACP

Post by Crash »

I have my choice of one gun from a relative's estate and I have narrowed it down to the following:
1. A Colt Automatic Calibre .32 Rimless Smokeless, Patented April 20 1897 - Dec. 22 1903 (this is the exact description from the list I was furnished)
2. A Ruger .32 cal. convertible New Blackhawk (again, this is the description from the list, but I assume it's a New Model Blackhawk in .32 H&R Magnum with an extra cylinder in .32-20)
3. A Winchester in 25-20 WFC (description from list--I assume it's a Model 92)
4. A Winchester w/scope in 32-20 WFC (description from list--I assume it's a Model 92).

The resale value of the gun I choose is not important since it will never be sold but passed down to my son and then to one of my grandsons. However, the availability and cost of ammo is a consideration, because I do not have "safe queens." If I own a gun, I shoot it.

Suggestions?

Crash

P.S. The gun I choose will be a gift to me.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ammo Availability and Cost for 25-20, 32-20, 32-40, and .32 ACP

Post by carlson1 »

My personal choice would be the Colt. Be sure to post pictures after you choose. :thumbs2:

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

carlson1 wrote:My personal choice would be the Colt. Be sure to post pictures after you choose. :thumbs2:
carlson1,

Will do--if I can figure out how to post pictures.... And I'm leaning toward the Colt. .32ACP is more readily available and cheaper than the others. I had one in my possession for a while (belonged to my daughter-in-law's sister's husband, whew....), but the outside of the barrel had been boogered up and was hard to remove and reinstall. A gunsmith said it looked to him like a replacement barrel that didn't fit quite right.

Crash

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 1

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I'd probably go for the Colt .32 also. Not that the others aren't interesting guns in their own right, but if I wanted a shooter that I could find ammo for, that would be the one.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

Sorry for your loss.

1, 3 and 4 are the ones I'd consider. Any of those 3 would be super awesome to own!!!! I'd reload for them, and load light just in case. So commercial ammo availability wouldn't be a consideration. If you can inspect for condition, that may make the choice easier if you plan to shoot them.

DO you know any of the history of any of them? or do you have any history shooting any of them as a youngster? Condition and history would be how I'd choose.

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

flechero wrote:Sorry for your loss.

1, 3 and 4 are the ones I'd consider. Any of those 3 would be super awesome to own!!!! I'd reload for them, and load light just in case. So commercial ammo availability wouldn't be a consideration. If you can inspect for condition, that may make the choice easier if you plan to shoot them.

DO you know any of the history of any of them? or do you have any history shooting any of them as a youngster? Condition and history would be how I'd choose.
flechero,

I haven't reloaded in 30 years and probably never will again. And, no, I won't be able to inspect any of them. They are 5 or 6 hours drive from me and I don't think that the people who have them now would take kindly to me asking to inspect them before I make up my mind. I saw the Colt a long time ago and I may have seen the others as well, but I don't know what condition they are in now. The late owner was a collector and amateur gunsmith (and probably better than most professionals), so I think that they are probably in pretty good condition as far as general cleanliness and lubrication go, but as far as amount of finish remaining is concerned, I have no idea. Historically, the Colt would probably be most interesting, but as a shooter, the Blackhawk Convertible would be more versatile.

Crash

flechero
Posts in topic: 2

Post by flechero »

but as a shooter, the Blackhawk Convertible would be more versatile.
True, but you can buy those if you actually wanted one... the other 3 are pretty uncommon. (or $$$ if you find a decent one.) I'd take this opportunity to acquire something I couldn't afford to go out and buy.

Whatever you decide, post lots of pics!!!

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

The Annoyed Man wrote:I'd probably go for the Colt .32 also. Not that the others aren't interesting guns in their own right, but if I wanted a shooter that I could find ammo for, that would be the one.
The Annoyed Man,

Yep, I'm gonna take the Colt. Thanks for your input.

Crash

Topic author
Crash

Post by Crash »

flechero wrote:
but as a shooter, the Blackhawk Convertible would be more versatile.
True, but you can buy those if you actually wanted one... the other 3 are pretty uncommon. (or $$$ if you find a decent one.) I'd take this opportunity to acquire something I couldn't afford to go out and buy.

Whatever you decide, post lots of pics!!!
flechero,

Roger, I've decided to take the Colt. Won't have it for another week or so, but once I get it and figure out how to post pictures, I'll put some up.

Crash

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”