How to get rid of old ammo

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Deltaboy
Posts in topic: 1

Re: How to get rid of old ammo

Post by Deltaboy »

Just shoot it up unless as stated it corroded! :tiphat:
I 'm just an Ole Sinner saved by Grace and Smith & Wesson.

Dan20703

Post by Dan20703 »

Crash wrote:an older fellow, a friend of mine has a bunch of ammo up in his attic that's been there for 20 years through heat and cold. I'm pretty sure it would be dangerous to use it, so how do you get rid of it safely.

Appreciate any help,

Crash
Should be good to shoot as others have mentioned. What calibers?

Off topic question. Are you the "Crash" associated with the now defunct CCCF (Coalition of Confused Costal Fishermen)?
There will always be prayer in schools as long as there are tests.

"It's all about shot placement."- David (Slayer of Goliath)

SIGFan43

Post by SIGFan43 »

An elderly friend of mine recently acquired an old S&W .38 Special Model 10-5, and had a plastic bag with some remanufactured ammo in it that looked really old (lead bullets darkened, brass not shiny). He couldn't remember where he got the cartridges, but probably bought them with the used gun a long time ago. My local gun store couldn't accept the cartridges for disposal due to "insurance restrictions." The only safe method, in my opinion, would be to use a bullet puller to pull the bullets, pour the powder in a small pile and burn it in a safe area, such as in a remote pile of dirt. The empty cases could be fired to disable the primers, or soak them in WD-40 for a while. Firing unknown cartridges like that means that you risk a double powder charge, or no powder, resulting in a damaged gun or squib load stuck in the barrel.
SIGFan43
Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Crash »

Dan20703 wrote:
Crash wrote:an older fellow, a friend of mine has a bunch of ammo up in his attic that's been there for 20 years through heat and cold. I'm pretty sure it would be dangerous to use it, so how do you get rid of it safely.

Appreciate any help,

Crash
Should be good to shoot as others have mentioned. What calibers?

Off topic question. Are you the "Crash" associated with the now defunct CCCF (Coalition of Confused Costal Fishermen)?
Dan20703,

Nope, not that Crash. My nickname comes from learning to ride a motorcycle in the Saudi Arabian desert and having a very steep "learning curve."
However, as a friend of mine told me, "If you ain't crashin', you aint learnin."

Crash

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”