BREAKING: P320 Recall Issued By Dallas Police | Prohibited From Duty Till Repaired

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bblhd672
Posts in topic: 2

BREAKING: P320 Recall Issued By Dallas Police | Prohibited From Duty Till Repaired

Post by bblhd672 »

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... -repaired/
Sig Sauer has identified that there is a defect in the P320 handgun that could cause the weapon system to go off when dropped. The Sig Sauer P320 was approved for primary duty, secondary primary duty, and back-up use. The Firearms Training Center is currently working with Sig Sauer to obtain a solution for the safety issue. Until Sig Sauer is able to find a solution to the safety issue, the Sig Sauer P320 is no longer approved by the ****** Police Department for any use.
May be a nothing burger, but worth following to see what happens.
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

rotor
Posts in topic: 12

Re: BREAKING: P320 Recall Issued By Dallas Police | Prohibited From Duty Till Repaired

Post by rotor »

Interesting youtube

We own one of the Romeo models. Will wait to see what Sig says.

flechero
Posts in topic: 11

Re: BREAKING: P320 Recall Issued By Dallas Police | Prohibited From Duty Till Repaired

Post by flechero »

As a 320 owner I was surprised that the trigger would continue to travel after impact.... my trigger pull isn't so light that I'd expect the trigger itself to be able to overcome the pull weight. I wonder what the physical weight of the Apex replacement trigger is. (may be the cheap and easy solution to this)

I also didn't know that no official drop tests included a drop on the back of the pistol. That's most surprising of all!

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

I am not able to research and post a link right now, but I believe that the
New Jersey State Police have a large lawsuit against Sig Sauer for problems
with their chosen Sig sidearms.

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

surprise_i'm_armed wrote:I am not able to research and post a link right now, but I believe that the
New Jersey State Police have a large lawsuit against Sig Sauer for problems
with their chosen Sig sidearms.

SIA
New Jersey is sueing over the 229s with failure to extract and feeding problems.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

DPD is in the process of allowing P320 carry again:
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017 ... 20-pistol/
The SIG P-320 will now be placed back on the authorized carry list.(as soon as the powers that be approve and statement issued). The PD took this action after speaking with SIG about the language in the outdated manual and coming to an understanding once the correct information was passed to the PD. Dallas PD will take a few days to ok the P-320 for carry. DPD will issue a public statement in a few days.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

TexasJohnBoy
Banned
Posts in topic: 4

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I think someone at the DPD made a decision without evaluating all of the facts. This pistol wouldn't have been selected for the Army if such a glaring flaw existed.

Then again, I am not a veteran gun smith with any number of years of experience, I'm just going on what I've read and my own reasoning.
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Not that I think this is the most credible source, but the article does a good job summarizing the issue. Suffice it to say it was the reaction of a Lt that actually read the manual (must be a woman :lol: )

Link to original
Tactical-Life.com has confirmed that the Dallas Police Department’s suspension of use of the Sig Sauer P320 was based on a miscommunication of a non-existent defect.

A blog by the name of GunMagWarehouse.com erroneously reported that there had been a Dallas PD training incident involving Sig Sauer P320. Specifically, the blog stated that the pistol “discharged as a result of being dropped during training,” which was far from the truth.

“The Dallas Police Department has not tested the P320 and has had no issue with the P320,” Sig spokesman Jordan Hunter told Tactical-Life.

There was never a “defect” with the P320. The confusion stemmed from an out-of-date manual that was given to the Dallas Police Department’s new lieutenant, according to Hunter.

Taking the necessary precautions with the older manual, the lieutenant temporarily suspended use of the P320 until Dallas PD could get in touch with Sig Sauer to clarify the issue.

A memo was issued to the Dallas Police Department detailing the temporary suspension, which someone leaked to another blog and the rumor mill began turning at a ferocious pace.

Sig released the following statement regarding the rumors:

In response to social media rumors questioning the safety of the P320 pistol, a variant of which was selected by the U.S. government as the U.S. Army’s Modular Handgun System (MHS), Sig Sauer, Inc. has full confidence in the reliability, durability and safety of its striker-fired handgun platform. There have been zero (0) reported drop-related P320 incidents in the U.S. commercial market, with hundreds of thousands of guns delivered to date.

The P320 meets and exceeds all U.S. standards for safety, including the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers’ Institute, Inc. (SAAMI), as well as rigorous testing protocols for global military and law enforcement agencies.

All Sig Sauer pistols incorporate effective mechanical safeties to ensure they only fire when the trigger is pressed. However, like any mechanical device, exposure to acute conditions (e.g. shock, vibration, heavy or repeated drops) may have a negative effect on these safety mechanisms and cause them to not work as designed. This language is common to owner’s manuals of major handgun manufacturers.

As a result, individual attempts to perform drop tests outside of professionally controlled environments should not be attempted.

“Sig Sauer is committed to producing only the finest products,” said Ron Cohen, President and CEO of Sig Sauer. “Safety and reliability have been and always will be paramount to the Sig Sauer brand.”

The Sig Sauer P320 was recently awarded the U.S. Army’s Modular Handguns System contract, which our writers feel was more than deserved when looking closely at the submission.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

AndyC wrote:Comments on this issue from Bruce Gray of Grayguns on the Sig Talk forums - post is #80 in the linked thread.

http://sigtalk.com/p250-p320-p320-x-5-m ... ost2779081

Reality and facts matter.
In fact, speculating about these things at all seems bad form. For my part, I can and will back my statements.

-Bruce
Having taken several classes with Bruce and talked with him at length about Sig and HK guns in general, I'm convinced that he knows more about Sigs than Sig themselves.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

wally775

Post by wally775 »

Mods if already running please delete.

Interesting report.

https://www.omahaoutdoors.com/blog/sig- ... drop-test/

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm glad I read this! I was about to buy a P320 RX.

Chas.

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

Just my $0.02... but for carry, I would not worry about it.

For LE / Mil, I would be irate. You might be fighting a bad guy and get your gun knocked out if your hand or holster, the darn thing hits the ground and puts one right in your noggin.

No thanks.

I bet they replace everything with their current "optional" Glock style tabbed trigger. We will see.
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I wouldn't buy a 320 anyway. I don't like the way they look or feel. And to a post above the reason the army chose sig was because of budget and you can research YouTube and find from many credible sources that they didn't even test the sig completely. Again sig came in with a lower price bid than Glock so you have to follow the dollar. It's a well known fact just because the military or law enforcement choose a certain product for use doesn't mean it is exactly the best tool for the job. BUDGET BUDGET BUDGET is usually the determining factor.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

TexasJohnBoy wrote:I think someone at the DPD made a decision without evaluating all of the facts. This pistol wouldn't have been selected for the Army if such a glaring flaw existed.

Then again, I am not a veteran gun smith with any number of years of experience, I'm just going on what I've read and my own reasoning.
They passed on Glock, that indicates where the biggest flaw exists. :biggrinjester:
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”