Revolver vs semiauto effective barrel lengths

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 2

Revolver vs semiauto effective barrel lengths

Post by rp_photo »

In the case of a semiauto (and a derringer), some of the barrel length is taken up by the round itself, which would seemingly reduce the effective length.

Contrast that with a revolver where all of the barrel is ahead of the round.

As an example, my Bodyguard 380 claims a 2.75" barrel, which would equate to around 2" ahead of the round.

Is this a correct assumption, or is it factored into semiauto barrel length specifications?
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

Topic author
rp_photo
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Revolver vs semiauto effective barrel lengths

Post by rp_photo »

I started thinking about this when watching videos about Bond Arms 410 derringers after noticing chambered shells seemed to take up almost all of the barrel.
CHL since 2/2011
Glock 26, S&W 442, Ruger SP101 .357 3",
S&W M&P 40, Remington 870 Express 12 ga 18"

C-dub
Posts in topic: 1

Post by C-dub »

george wrote:you are correct. This would seemingly give the 4" revolver a velocity advantage over a 4" semi, but the gas loss at the barrel to cylinder gap in the revolver tends to even things out.
I was thinking about this very thing. However, I wonder just how "even" it gets. I would think that the gas loss at the gap has a greater effect on velocity than the "shorter" barrel does in a semiautomatic.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Medley86
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Medley86 »

I don't have the necessary guns to test it but a s&w governor that was loaded with 45 acp could be tested against another 45 with roughly the same length barrel through a crono, same would go for a 9mm revolver vs a semi.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”