.22 LR Cartridge Stuck in Rifle Chamber

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
puma guy
Posts in topic: 1

.22 LR Cartridge Stuck in Rifle Chamber

Post by puma guy »

My son-in-law and I exercised several of my .22 rifles at PSC yesterday and zeroed in an vintage Marlin Model 80 .22 bolt action I'd given him. He was shooting my vintage 62A Winchester pump using Winchester Super X .22LR HP toward the end of our session and he said the 62A was jammed. I could see the rim of a cartridge still in the chamber and another round trying to be fed. Luckily the 62A is a takedown rifle because it would have been very difficult to get the new cartridge out to access or push the one stuck in the chamber. I had to push the stuck round out with a cleaning rod and what I found is pictured below. Not only is the case partially collapsed there's what appears to have a crimp mark or cannelure similar to the ones on the bullet. The bullet is loose and has some scars and nicks. I don't know if it was already like that or not before I rammed it out. I have a feeling it was buggered already. It also was a misfire. My son-in-law doesn't have a lot of shooting experience and was probably not paying attention as he dropped cartridges into the loading port on the tube magazine of the rifle. On a bright note he hit the 100 Yard swinging targets (ram and chicken) several times with the Model 80 Marlin w/ a Bushnell Trophy XLT 3-9x40 scope.

KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”