10mm pistol hunting

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
ckelly9460
Posts in topic: 5

10mm pistol hunting

Post by ckelly9460 »

I recently picked up a Glock 40 MOS to white tail hunt this season. I installed a leupold delta point pro and dropped in a fluted/threaded barrel with compensator.
My question is has anyone hunted with a 10mm?
What ammo did you use? I'd like to stay away from hardcast lead due to my compensator.
Thanks guys
Brave Rifles

JustSomeOldGuy
Posts in topic: 2

Re: 10mm pistol hunting

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

If your aftermarket barrel is same rate of twist as the factory barrel, stick to 180 or 200 gr jacketed. I've gotten better groups with those than I did with one attempt at loading 155 grain FMJ's in a Glock 20.

The other question would be, is your aftermarket barrel Glock polygonal rifling, or conventional land and groove? With conventional rifling, you could shoot cast and resign yourself to have to clean the comp. Shooting cast in polygonal rifling is like that scene in 'Hunt for Red October' where Konalov asks his engineer about going to 105% on the reactor.
"Captain, shooting cast bullets thru polygonal rifling is POSSIBLE, but NOT RECOMMENDED". It's also a pain to clean (de-lead). :mrgreen:
Last edited by JustSomeOldGuy on Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
ckelly9460

Post by ckelly9460 »

JustSomeOldGuy wrote:If your aftermarket barrel is same rate of twist as the factory barrel, stick to 180 or 200 gr jacketed. I've gotten better groups with those than I did with one attempt at loading 155 grain FMJ's in a Glock 20
Will that give enough penetration with a jacketed round?
Brave Rifles

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

JHP or JSP out of a 6" barrel should do fine. Choose between them based on what depth of penetration you want.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

The Hornady 180 Grain XTP, factory or handloaded, is a stomper in the 10mm.

A 180 XTP at around 1200 fps should exit any Whitetail, lots of gel tests on YouTube. If more penetration is needed, use coated hard cast 200s or 220s. The coated hard cast minimize leading with polygonal rifling and compensator ports.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Topic author
ckelly9460

Post by ckelly9460 »

Thank you guys. I appreciate the input.
Brave Rifles

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

LeonCarr wrote:The Hornady 180 Grain XTP, factory or handloaded, is a stomper in the 10mm.

A 180 XTP at around 1200 fps should exit any Whitetail, lots of gel tests on YouTube. If more penetration is needed, use coated hard cast 200s or 220s. The coated hard cast minimize leading with polygonal rifling and compensator ports.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
My old man routinely finds 30-06 slugs in the hide on the opposite side of deer when shot in the vitals/shoulder area, if a 150 grain 06 doesn't exit roughly 1/3 of the time I would be hesitant to say any pistol should go all the way through unless it was a 500 mag or 454 casull. And yes he is generally hitting more than one bone when they don't exit, but it still happens a lot
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Topic author
ckelly9460

Post by ckelly9460 »

I am looking for more of a challenge. I suffer from a shoulder injury that occurred while in the military which does not allow me to properly bow hunt. I am just lookIng for a proper load that will get the job done quickly with minimal suffering for the animal. I am more than confident that 10 mm auto offers that package.
Brave Rifles

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WTR »

If you want to use a handgun, use a rifle caliber continder ( 7- 08). You want to be as humane as possible to the animal.

cmgee67
Posts in topic: 1

Post by cmgee67 »

You have gotten some good advice. And 10mm is more than adequate. Everybody knows that one guys who's grandpas friends brother inlaws cousin who shot a deer with a 50 bmg and it didn't go all the way through and it was hit in the vitals. Put good shot placement and have fun with the pistol challenge! It's something I'd like to do one of these days. Oh and when you score one post some pics!

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

What type of deer are you shooting?

LeonCarr

Post by LeonCarr »

I have seen on multiple occasions hard cast and FMJ bullets fired from handguns outpenetrate jacketed soft points fired from rifles.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh ... .tests.asp

In this one link if you look at the cartridges detailed in the table, there are many many handgun cartridges that out penetrate a .30-06 loaded with 220 Grain Remington Core-Lokts.

Yes, a 10mm with the right bullet will go through a White-Tailed Deer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

philbo
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by philbo »

It's been a few years, but I've had success with the 175 grain Winchester silvertips on whitetails and hogs in Texas. 180/200 grain controlled expansion hollowpoints from double tap and underwood perform as advertised in my experience as well. My handload for hunting for the 10mm was a 180 gold-dot over 9 grns of longshot.... accurate and effective when I used them on hogs within 50 yds (the distance is based on my limitations/eyesight, not the cartridge ;-) ) As long as you stay away from the milder self defense loads, the 10mm is more than adequate for handgun hunting.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

LeonCarr wrote:I have seen on multiple occasions hard cast and FMJ bullets fired from handguns outpenetrate jacketed soft points fired from rifles.

http://www.handloads.com/misc/linebaugh ... .tests.asp

In this one link if you look at the cartridges detailed in the table, there are many many handgun cartridges that out penetrate a .30-06 loaded with 220 Grain Remington Core-Lokts.

Yes, a 10mm with the right bullet will go through a White-Tailed Deer.

Just my .02,
LeonCarr
I never meant to imply a 10mm wasn't enough gun, also was thinking in terms of an expanding bullet, personally I would never hunt with fmj or something similar which does not expand. The '06 rounds i have seen caught on the back side of the deer in the hide were all 150 grain core lokts.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

The point of killing a deer is to harvest meat, not to provide you a challenge. Use a rifle caliber with an expanding bullet to insure a humane and clean kill.Respect the animal.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”