LaserLyte off center?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

LaserLyte off center?

Post by mloamiller »

I recently purchased a LaserLyte (cartridge style) for use with my Ruger SR9C. I also recently had new Truglo sights installed on the same pistol. When I first used the LaserLyte, the red-dot was clearly not aligned with the site picture at about 7 yards. Thinking the sights had not been installed correctly, I took the pistol back to the gunsmith to check; he said they were right "on target" based on measurements (didn't use a bore-sight). I then took it to a range and fired a few rounds at about 7 yards and they were dead on. However, the LaserLyte still shows to be off-center.

Anyone have experienced with a LaserLyte cartridge being off-center like this?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

Topic author
mloamiller
Posts in topic: 2

Re: LaserLyte off center?

Post by mloamiller »

george wrote:I would not expect the bore to be aligned exactly with the sights.
I guess I could understand if the vertical alignment was slightly off, but shouldn't they be aligned horizontally?
LTC/SSC Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor, RSO

thatguyoverthere
Posts in topic: 1

Post by thatguyoverthere »

I have a LaserLyte in .45ACP that I use for practice. It is off about 1.5 inches from POA at 7 yards. Not perfect, and was initially aggravating considering the things aren't exactly cheap. But I decided I could live with it for what I was doing.

Here are a couple of things you might try to help improve performance, if you haven't already done them. First, I would recommend that you very thoroughly clean and lube the chamber where the cartridge is inserted. I lube my chamber liberally (but not sloppy!) so the rubber o-rings on the LaserLyte slide easily instead of trying to roll or otherwise deform when it is inserted into the chamber (remember to clean the excess lube from the bore when finished).

Next, you might also try a replacement set of o-rings. It's probably not likely, but one of the rings might have a bulge or some other kind of imperfection that could affect alignment. One of the o-rings on mine broke. I couldn't find one the right size at my local hardware store, so I called LaserLyte. They sent me a new set in the mail at no charge. Got them in just a few days.

I use mine for "combat-accuracy-point-and-shoot" practice, not for precise aimed fire practice. Since the offset error in mine is consistent and stable (depending on the rotational orientation as it goes into the chamber), and since I have my sights on my pistol lined up to my satisfaction, I simply carefully aim at my target for the first "shot" of my practice session and note where the laser spot "hits." Then I simply look for the laser spot to always "hit" that same point (ideally :lol: ) when I'm doing my practice quick draw and point shooting. Not a perfect solution, but it works for me.

If push comes to shove, you could either try to return it to where you bought it and exchange it for another one, or contact LaserLyte directly to try for replacement. LaserLyte was very helpful for me when I called them (but then again, I was just looking for an o-ring! ;-) )

I hope you get it worked out. I find mine very helpful for dry fire practice and think it has helped improve my performance. Good luck with it.

BCGlocker

Post by BCGlocker »

Mine is the entire replacement barrel with screw on battery compartment. Not only misaligned slightly, the impact point varies depends on how tightly you screw on the battery compartment as it will rotate the barrel to a slightly different spot.
Texas LTC Instructor
Texas SSO Instructor
USCCA Certified Instructor
Range Master Certified Instructor

strogg

Post by strogg »

Mine's off center too. It was dead on the first three times I used it, but it just went way off center by the 4th time. It's definitely the O-ring, though. I can see the damage. The cartridge had such tight fitment that the barrel ate up the O-ring very quickly. Time to get a new O-ring. Based on the speed of the wear, though, I think I should get a large bag full of them.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”