Appendix IWB carry--or not?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Crash
Posts in topic: 1

Appendix IWB carry--or not?

Post by Crash »

I've been perusing a handgun holster guide published by a well known magazine that tests guns and accessories and, although they don't specifically state it in the guide, I don't think the publishers are very enthusiastic about AIWB. Although they do test IWB holsters, none seems to be intended for IWB carry in the appendix area. So what do you folks think, is AIWB a good way to carry concealed or are there better ways? Just a couple of facts to let you know where I'm coming from: I'm short and short-waisted and have limited ability to reach around very far either to the left of right.'

Recommendations?

Thanks,

Crash

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Appendix IWB carry--or not?

Post by WTR »

I think it depends on the pistol you intend to carry.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

That decision, like most others regarding carry, is a personal one. I tried AIWB, but could never get comfortable with it while seated. Standing I had no problem, and practiced my draw, with no issues, but trying to sit down, buckle, my seat belt, or just change positions, became a nightmare for me.

I have finally settled, on 3:00 to 3:30 OWB, and have not looked back. You will just have to try it and see if it will work for you. Like I said, standing with it was no problem, but after trying it for a few days, I got rid of the holster, and never tried it again. A lot will depend on the gun you carry, and your holster choice, just as much, as your body type. As my waistline has inexplicably expanded, I found that any IWB, was just not my style anymore. YMMV
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I am surprised that appendix carry is becoming so popular. As with Justme, I find it very uncomfortable when sitting. I also don't care for the muzzle pointing at a major artery.

There is a tactical disadvantage also and it is very similar to cross-draw. If your adversary is within arms length of you, it's much easier to block an AIWB draw (and a cross-draw), than is the case with strong-side carry at or behind the 3:00 o'clock position. With a normal blade to the threat you should have room to draw and engage from a retention position, what I call a break-away shot.

Again, AIWB is gaining in popularity but I'm at a loss to understand why.
Chas.

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

I've been carrying AIWB for a long time.. It works for me.
IMO, it's very body-shape specific.

If I carry OWB, I have to carry 2-3:00 to avoid printing badly. Just my shape. A bit bulgy at 4:00 :lol:

Great reading here... Language warning.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... dix-Carry)
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

RoyGBiv wrote:I've been carrying AIWB for a long time.. It works for me.
IMO, it's very body-shape specific.

If I carry OWB, I have to carry 2-3:00 to avoid printing badly. Just my shape. A bit bulgy at 4:00 :lol:

Great reading here... Language warning.
https://pistol-forum.com/showthread.php ... dix-Carry)
Also... A holster designed specifically for the task is essential.
Several good choices... I personally own and can recommend...

http://www.jmcustomkydex.com/p/AIWB-WC2-5.html
http://www.customcarryconcepts.com/Shag ... _p_19.html

ETA:
Apologies: Sometimes I hit the Quote button when I intended to hit Edit... :???: :oops:
Last edited by RoyGBiv on Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

allisji

Post by allisji »

I have a friend who loves it. He's tall and lean, and carries a small gun Glock 27 I think. Has no problem wearing it while seated from what I gather. I've never tried it.

A search of this forum and I got 73 pages of results:

http://www.texaschlforum.com/search.php ... mit=Search

My impression from this forum is that most people view AIWB negatively for the reasons mentioned by Charles.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

E.Marquez
Posts in topic: 4

Post by E.Marquez »

I think you will just need to by a AIWB specific holster and try for yourself.. As there are just too many variables that can not be accounted for in a "It works" "Its horrible" weight in from readers.
Even though I do not leaving my self open to having a close in attacker pin or block my draw.
Even though I do not like where the muzzle points when seated.
I Wanted to try the carry method myself as a possible option...

I tried three holsters and two guns, and could not get comfortable when seated it poked in all the wrong ways and places.
Your gun, holster, body type and typical seated/ moving/ standing conditions may allow it to work for you
Companion animal Microchips, quality name brand chips, lifetime registration, Low cost just $10~12, not for profit, most locations we can come to you. We cover eight counties McLennan, Hill, Bell, Coryell, Falls, Bosque, Limestone, Lampasas
Contact we.chip.pets@gmail.com

ELB

Post by ELB »

I don't have much time to elaborate now, will try to pick this up later, but in my experience with some pretty rough and tumble training, including (training) knives, guns (airsoft), in-my-face struggles standing and on the ground, sitting, belted in a car, etc etc, carrying my gun AIWB ran rings around having it at 3 or 4 oclock.

Conceals better too, and you need a holster designed for AIWB. I use this a Vanguard from Raven Concealment Systems with a Glock 19, and not only is it comfy, it's only $35.

Gotta go back to work, will try to revisit with more specifics, but I find it ... tactically superior I guess it the phrase ... to 3 or 4 o'clock by a significant margin.

The one place don't recommend it is if you are wearing chest-rigs and vests and such, which isn't average CHL carry anyway.

p.s. I would not put a lot of weight on gun magazine reviews of anything... :roll:
USAF 1982-2005

strogg

Post by strogg »

100% personal preference.

I tried a fitment test for appendix carry last weekend. It didn't go so well. It was comfortable enough and made my firearm completely invisible when standing, but I will print like crazy once I sit. And the only position that was comfortable was with the gun pointed straight at my crotch... Yup. I decided I was going to full time 3 o'clock carry at that point. Overall it's the best compromise for comfort, concealability, and ease of draw.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

strogg wrote:100% personal preference.

I tried a fitment test for appendix carry last weekend. It didn't go so well. It was comfortable enough and made my firearm completely invisible when standing, but I will print like crazy once I sit. And the only position that was comfortable was with the gun pointed straight at my crotch... Yup. I decided I was going to full time 3 o'clock carry at that point. Overall it's the best compromise for comfort, concealability, and ease of draw.
Oh, live dangerously. Mexican carry a Glock pointed at your junk.

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I recently started carrying AIWB 95% of the time. I still carry IWB at 4 o'clock when carrying with a tucked shirt, but that's not terribly often.

This is the holster I'm using. It's a JM Custom Kydex AIWB 2.5, custom-built to fit the Glock 19 with the Inforce APL Compact. Flashlight compatibility isn't a listed option for that particular holster on the order page, but as their company name indicates, they do custom requests. The magazine pouch is a JM Custom Kydex AIWB single mag pouch. The holster has one-way snap loops which take a little longer to put on, but the holster won't accidentally come off the belt.

The hook on the side of the holster is a "wing claw", which hooks on the backside of your belt. This causes the grip of the gun to rotate inwards, increasing concealability by eliminating funny bumps that might protrude from inside your shirt.

The holster also has an optional neoprene wedge. This performs a similar function as the wing claw; it pushes the muzzle of the gun out slightly, which causes the top of the gun to rotate in, increasing concealability. It's attached to the holster with velcro and can be moved and reattached in slightly different positions to better fit your body.

A Glock 19 is about as long of a gun as I can carry AIWB without being uncomfortable sitting down. AIWB is a lot more comfortable for me than 4 o'clock IWB when driving, as my car's seats have fairly aggressive side bolsters that would push the gun into my side. Also, AIWB is a lot easier to draw from when seated.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 4

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:I am surprised that appendix carry is becoming so popular. As with Justme, I find it very uncomfortable when sitting. I also don't care for the muzzle pointing at a major artery.

There is a tactical disadvantage also and it is very similar to cross-draw. If your adversary is within arms length of you, it's much easier to block an AIWB draw (and a cross-draw), than is the case with strong-side carry at or behind the 3:00 o'clock position. With a normal blade to the threat you should have room to draw and engage from a retention position, what I call a break-away shot.

Again, AIWB is gaining in popularity but I'm at a loss to understand why.
Chas.
For me, Charles, it is strictly a matter of comfort. I can't bear the pressure against my hip with an IWB holster. But AIWB works without causing me pain. I do realize that it's a compromise for the comfort while sitting reason you mentioned, and I carry OWB most of the time anyway, so it's not that often an issue for me. But when I do need to go IWB, appendix carry is the only way I can make it work for me. I have two kydex holsters specifically designed for appendix carry - one for my G43, and the other for my G26. Both holsters completely cover the trigger and trigger guard, so there is little risk of an injury. But that said, when I use either of those holsters, I insert the already-holstered gun into the waistband, instead of inserting the holster first, and then holstering the gun.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I carry appendix from time to time. It depends on my back. I have tried many holsters and the only holster that makes AIWB is the INCOG by G-Code. They are pricey, but the only way to carry AIWB (in my opinion).
https://www.tacticalholsters.com/catego ... t-bearing/

EastTexasRancher

Post by EastTexasRancher »

Rule #2: Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.

You guys here that would write 5,000 word posts on someone at the range "sweeping" you or someone else....point your weapon at what?

To each their own I suppose.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”