Take your kids to the range

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Take your kids to the range

Post by Beiruty »

Today, it was my son Ryan first trip to the Range. He is 11 yrs old and shot my new Canik TP9Sfx for the first time at 3yards his shot landed less than 1" right to the Bullseye. He was elated . Then, he shot couple more shots.
Before we left, I pulled out my RIA 15-ATH rifle, and I let him shoot at 25 yards. He was so happy to see 1 shot hits bullseye. He kept the target and started bubbling excitingly, I had head-shots, I had head-shots!

https://goo.gl/photos/3zRybEPt139zqAmi9
Last edited by Beiruty on Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Jusme

Re: Take your kids to the range

Post by Jusme »

Great pics. :thumbs2:

Nothing better than taking kids shooting.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

flechero

Post by flechero »

Good times!!! Also a great reminder... I never think to take pics at the range. Those memories are captured only in my mind. I'll take some pics next time!

Thanks for sharing and the reminder!

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

Those are good times, I have a picture of my son when he was 13 shooting a .338 lapua, dead center hits with all three shots!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

SigM4

Post by SigM4 »

Can't wait to take my daughter shooting when she's ready. She's 4.5 now, so I still have some time. That said as with everything she's growing up way too fast and it will be time before too long.
Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

:clapping: good stuff!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

No kids of my own, so I borrow my brother's kids :fire
It's always a joy to take them to the range and teach them to shoot. Last year my nephew shot mostly 22lr and 1 round of 9mm. This year he stepped up to the 45acp 1911 and the 45acp shield. I was a proud uncle!
I've already taken his younger sister as well. They both pay attention and follow the rules and instruction very well. Looking forward to taking the next oldest when she gets old enough.
Deplorable lunatic since 2016

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

good job, Dad! :thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I enjoy taking my kids to the range every chance I get. For those new to this experience, here are some likely obvious but very important points to consider.

It's all about the kids, not me. Don't plan to get a ton of practice in on your new carry gun, or your draw. Most of my shooting is really just to show the kids exactly how each gun works.

It's all about safety, first and foremost. The four rules need to be ingrained before you leave the house and then reinforced on the range. Every violation, no matter how small, needs to be pointed out and addressed firmly. Muzzle and trigger finger discipline being the most common issues while actually on the firing line.

Second priority is fun / positive reinforcement. Don't automatically run the target out to 10 yards because that is the distance you normally start with. For a brand new shooter, 3 yards is a good starting point, but no more than 5 yards. Also, if your kids are uncomfortable in any way (guy shooting a 50 cal in the next lane, tons of smoke in the air, etc.), don't force them to stay there. You want them looking forward to their next range visit, not dreading some aspect of it.

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I suggest double ear protection plugs and muffs. If shooting anything louder than a .22, Their ears are more sensitive than our grown up ears.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Liberty »

I suggest double ear protection plugs and muffs. If shooting anything louder than a .22, Their ears are more sensitive than our grown up ears.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Liberty wrote:I suggest double ear protection plugs and muffs. If shooting anything louder than a .22, Their ears are more sensitive than our grown up ears.
:iagree:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Liberty wrote:I suggest double ear protection plugs and muffs. If shooting anything louder than a .22, Their ears are more sensitive than our grown up ears.
Heck, I use double protection and I ain't a kid anymore.

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

WTR wrote:
Soccerdad1995 wrote:
Heck, I use double protection and I ain't a kid anymore.
I do as well. Then again I served in a Fire Direction Center right behind 8 inch and later 155 mm howitzers, so my ears have taken a bit of abuse.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:I do as well. Then again I served in a Fire Direction Center right behind 8 inch and later 155 mm howitzers, so my ears have taken a bit of abuse.
Hooah! Love me some M115 and M110! For myself, M109 (through A5) and Pershing 1a. Both as 13B and 13E, then as 01-03, only used triple flange plugs on the firing line and in my FDC. Same with P1a, unless I was going to be next to the Power Station (jet turbine). Still, I have better hearing than my lovely, young, trophy wife.

Now I sometimes use foam plugs and ear muffs on the range. VA sez I have lost a little high frequency, but it's OK because it is just the frequency of the average American female voice. :biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”