How do you carry it?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

How do you carry it?

Post by cmgee67 »

I am trying to figure out a good way to carry my body armour in my truck. How do y'all keep it?

Pariah3j

Re: How do you carry it?

Post by Pariah3j »

What type of truck do you drive?
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

2013 1/2 ton gmc sierra crew cab 4x4

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

So I haven't seen the back seats in a GMC, but I assume they are about the same as Dodge's and Ford's - I would put it under the seat in the back. I believe this is where my cousin kept his in his truck.
"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny" - Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

That's what I was thinking.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Jusme »

To each their own. I had to wear body armor the whole time I was a LEO. It is not a pleasant experience, especially, in the Texas heat. I look at carrying it with me, sort of like a motorcycle helmet, on the back of a bike, while riding. If I need it, I need it "now", not after the shooting starts. If it is just for range use, why would you need to carry it daily? Again, I have no qualms with someone wanting to do so, but, unless it's on your body, how, and where you carry it seems a moot point, in the event, that you need to don it, while bullets are incoming. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Jusme wrote:To each their own. I had to wear body armor the whole time I was a LEO. It is not a pleasant experience, especially, in the Texas heat. I look at carrying it with me, sort of like a motorcycle helmet, on the back of a bike, while riding. If I need it, I need it "now", not after the shooting starts. If it is just for range use, why would you need to carry it daily? Again, I have no qualms with someone wanting to do so, but, unless it's on your body, how, and where you carry it seems a moot point, in the event, that you need to don it, while bullets are incoming. JMHO
Yeah, that's kind of how I've seen it. I am not saying that having some body armor is a bad idea, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a bulky tactical armor vest with SAPI plates for the day that society breaks down and serious social work becomes necessary. But I can't bear the thought of wearing armor every day under normal circumstances in the Texas heat, not to mention the extra weight of having it on. I'm getting to be an old man and I've had a good life. I would like to prolong it as long as I can, but I'm not willing to spend that extension in discomfort, just to have little more time. I am not heading toward the sound of the guns unless it is under the most extreme circumstances and utterly avoidable. If there's no time to put the armor on, then so be it. If I die, I die. And then I live. Truly live.

So for those reasons, I have procrastinated in actually buying armor. And it wouldn't feel right to me if I didn't also buy it for my family as well. So it's not an uncomplicated purchase even if I do go ahead and buy it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

Jusme wrote:To each their own. I had to wear body armor the whole time I was a LEO. It is not a pleasant experience, especially, in the Texas heat. I look at carrying it with me, sort of like a motorcycle helmet, on the back of a bike, while riding. If I need it, I need it "now", not after the shooting starts. If it is just for range use, why would you need to carry it daily? Again, I have no qualms with someone wanting to do so, but, unless it's on your body, how, and where you carry it seems a moot point, in the event, that you need to don it, while bullets are incoming. JMHO
Not disagreeing about its an item you probably already want on when the shooting starts, but civilians tend to get funny looks when wearing body armor/plate carriers around in public. Granted based on the timing of the post, I assumed cmgee67 was talking about a plate carrier discussed in another post, not the concealable/under-shirt style body armor.

Pariah3j

Post by Pariah3j »

I agree with TAM - my want for a plate carrier is more for some sort of Katrina level event where society breaks down. In a scenario like that, I believe it will be better to have than not, but because it feels like an extreme and unlikely case, getting my financial advisor(aka SWMBO) to sign off on it hasn't been easy. So for one of my B-day/Christmas gifts sometime soon I'm probably going to break down and ask her to get me at least the plate carrier I want... plates will just have to come later.

growlerVII

Post by growlerVII »

I keep mine in a cubby in the storage area of my car. If I gotta get to it quick, (its with my rifle) I messed up somewhere.
As a side note, it weighs 36-ish lbs. I also use it as a weight vest for pull-ups, dips, and the like. Dual purpose the heck out of it!

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

My gear just sits in the corner in the back of my car.

My philosophy on armor is this:

1. There's a slim chance I'll ever need it.

2. If I need it, I'm REALLY going to need it.

3. It's impractical to wear 24/7.

4. If I'm going to need to wear it, there's a good chance I'll have some warning.

You could argue that armor is as important as your CCW, since I'd prefer to avoid getting holes in me while putting holes in a bad guy. But as I said, it's impractical to wear 24/7, so that's a concession I'll make.

So that leaves it for other dangerous or questionable situations. Riots, protests, natural disasters, terror attacks, driving through Oak Cliff :biggrinjester:... there will be advance warning for most of those, so if you find it necessary to be in the area, it's simple to throw on your armor or PC before getting in the car. A low profile plate carrier or soft armor can also easily be hidden under a jacket or even heavy cover garment in case you have to leave a vehicle in the same situations.

Honestly, if you can afford it, I have trouble coming up with reasons to not keep it handy. Some people have a mental block against it because they feel like it's too much, or weird, or don't want to admit that it could be needed, but I got over that years ago ;-)
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Yes the body armor I'm talking about is a plate carrier worn over the top of cloths with ar 500 plays inside. I keep it close to my rifle as well. I keep it for the worst scenario. What if you get caught in a Katrina situation or a. As protestor sit where people are burning cars and beating up people. You can bet if I'm. It myself I'm putting that armor on and grabbing my rifle. If my wife's with me she's putting it on. It's the closest thing to physical life insurance in a way. And as another member said carrying s gun 24/7 is impractical and chances are we will never ever need it but we keep it around for the chance that we do. Body armor or a truck gun or various things we keep around we never use can be argued the same way.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”