Buckshot for home defense

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Buckshot for home defense

Post by rotor »

The word here is home defense. Slugs and 00 buck appear to have too much penetration to use in a home. I don't want to kill my neighbors. But I am new to home defense shotguns and am open to all comments.

LeonCarr
Posts in topic: 1

Post by LeonCarr »

Too much penetration is better than not enough.

I would use at least #1 Buck, with the 1325 fps Federal Flitecontrol LE127 00 Buckshot being a favorite of mine.

The two people I know who have used 00 Buckshot in the line of duty both stated that 4-5 pellets stayed in the body and 4-5 pellets exited. The 4 pellets that exited in one of the cases rolled down the hallway on the floor behind the perp, not much of an overpenetration hazard to me. The buckshot used in both cases was Remington Express (Green and Yellow Box) 2.75 Inch 1325fps 9 Pellet 00 Buckshot.

I would also like to personally thank the OP for not starting yet another thread on using Birdshot for Home Defense :clapping:

Just my bigbuckshotworksbetter .02,
LeonCarr
"Whitetail Deer are extinct because of rifles with telescopes mounted on them." - My 11th Grade English Teacher

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Jusme »

rotor wrote:The word here is home defense. Slugs and 00 buck appear to have too much penetration to use in a home. I don't want to kill my neighbors. But I am new to home defense shotguns and am open to all comments.

JMHO I don't put much stock in the "over penetration" argument, simply because if I have to use deadly force against someone in my home, it's because he/she, has demonstrated, not only the inclination, but the ability, to harm, me or mine. Every handgun round, rifle round, shotgun round, or some slingshots, will penetrate a wall, inside a house, if that is the first thing they hit. But, my objective will be to stop them, from accomplishing their goal. A sword, "may" stop them, and has very little threat of "over penetration". However, I want to have something that has a much better chance of stopping them. Shotguns, are very good at accomplishing that goal. There are uncountable instances, of this being true. In fact the Germans, wanted to have shotguns outlawed in WWI. Because they were so devastating in trench warfare.
Everyone will have to make their own decisions, regarding HD, and my house layout, location of loved ones, etc. will be different than yours, so you will have to make the decision, based on what works best for you.
As for me, I don't want to have a defensive, weapon, or round, that may, prevent unintended injury to someone next door, at the expense of not being able to effectively, stop a threat.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I don't believe buckshot will penetrate as far as a pistol round or an AR round. Therefore, if you are worrying about your neighbor at a time of HD, I would think buckshot would be favorable. My defensive position in my home would actually benefit from be able to penetrate at least one wall.

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

WTR wrote:I don't believe buckshot will penetrate as far as a pistol round or an AR round. Therefore, if you are worrying about your neighbor at a time of HD, I would think buckshot would be favorable. My defensive position in my home would actually benefit from be able to penetrate at least one wall.
That's why I am going with #4 buck. Should be very adequate don't you think?

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

rotor wrote:
WTR wrote:I don't believe buckshot will penetrate as far as a pistol round or an AR round. Therefore, if you are worrying about your neighbor at a time of HD, I would think buckshot would be favorable. My defensive position in my home would actually benefit from be able to penetrate at least one wall.
That's why I am going with #4 buck. Should be very adequate don't you think?

Yes

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”