Buckshot for home defense

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Buckshot for home defense

Post by rotor »

Finally got a chance to try out my new Mossberg Maverick 88, 18" barrel and was somewhat apprehensive about the kick using buckshot. I ordered some S&B 00 and 4 buck to try both out. Shot a bunch of Winchester Wallyworld #8 shot and switched to buckshot. Maybe 15 feet or so. Hard for me to get used to not having an automatic and the need to pump to load the next round. What really surprised me was that the kick was not much different between the three different rounds. I think the buckshot is a little heavier than the 1 1/8 oz in the Winchester shells and the speed is probably the same so the buck shot should have a bit more kick. The Maverick handled it well though. In any event the pattern was quite tight considering this is a cylinder bore. For the home use I will stick with 4 buck. 27 little wicked pellets. Never let a good cardboard box go to waste. 4 buck on left, 00 on right.

Jusme
Posts in topic: 3

Re: Buckshot for home defense

Post by Jusme »

Go buy some Federal Flite-Control #1 buck, and never look back. You'll thank me later. You will get that same pattern as your #00 buck or #4 buck, at 20-25 yards. 15 pellets, per round. Nasty stuff.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

:iagree:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

:iagree: In 2 3/4 " shells. Can be hard to find. I got mine from www.sgammo.com ...it took awhile to come in stock.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Jusme wrote:Go buy some Federal Flite-Control #1 buck, and never look back. You'll thank me later. You will get that same pattern as your #00 buck or #4 buck, at 20-25 yards. 15 pellets, per round. Nasty stuff.
:thumbs2:
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Bitter Clinger
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Jusme wrote:Go buy some Federal Flite-Control #1 buck, and never look back. You'll thank me later. You will get that same pattern as your #00 buck or #4 buck, at 20-25 yards. 15 pellets, per round. Nasty stuff.
https://www.theboxotruth.com/the-box-o- ... -buckshot/
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

WTR wrote::iagree: In 2 3/4 " shells. Can be hard to find. I got mine from http://www.sgammo.com ...it took awhile to come in stock.
The only place I've found that currently has it in stock is Ammunition to Go $4.19 bx/5

allisji

Post by allisji »

Yeah, I got it from SGAmmo last year. They were out of stock for 6 months or a year, but I signed up to get a notification when it came in stock. Eventually I got the notification and I bought a case of it.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

I just found Federal Tactical 12 Ga 2-3/4" 15 Pellet FLITECONTROL 1 Buck Shot (LE132 1B) in stock at the Ammunition Store for $155.99/250rnd case or $3.29/5rnd box, plus shipping cost. I ordered a case and with shipping is $185.35. That's the cheapest I've seen lately and it's in stock.

https://ammunitionstore.com/search.php? ... y=LE132+1B

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

Add my name to the Federal FliteControl #1 buckshot list.

Here's how it patterns out of my 18" Mossberg 930 SPX cylinder bore:
Federal1B_zpsf85c0727.JPG
This will give you an idea about terminal performace (what it'll do to a BG).

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

puma guy wrote:I just found Federal Tactical 12 Ga 2-3/4" 15 Pellet FLITECONTROL 1 Buck Shot (LE132 1B) in stock at the Ammunition Store for $155.99/250rnd case or $3.29/5rnd box, plus shipping cost. I ordered a case and with shipping is $185.35. That's the cheapest I've seen lately and it's in stock.

https://ammunitionstore.com/search.php? ... y=LE132+1B
Wow! Thanks! :cheers2:
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Topic author
rotor
Posts in topic: 4

Post by rotor »

I was concerned about over penetration with 00 buck indoors. Watched a bunch of Paul Harrell on youtube. That's why I went with 4 buck instead of 00 for in the house use. That 00 buck looks like it might be good as a hog stopper in the field though. The other issue was expense and S&B was inexpensive.

LTUME1978

Post by LTUME1978 »

I have little experience with buckshot. The only time I have used them was when I was a kid hunting in my grandfather's rice field in south Louisiana. We would use number 4 buck to shoot high flying geese or crawl up on them when they were on the ground in big flocks. I see the posts on the performance of the flight control buckshot and the tight patterns. Why not just use slugs if one wants a tight pattern. What is the advantage of the flight control buckshot over the slug. I was thinking that one would want the buckshot to spread out some. Please explain.

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

LTUME1978 wrote:I have little experience with buckshot. The only time I have used them was when I was a kid hunting in my grandfather's rice field in south Louisiana. We would use number 4 buck to shoot high flying geese or crawl up on them when they were on the ground in big flocks. I see the posts on the performance of the flight control buckshot and the tight patterns. Why not just use slugs if one wants a tight pattern. What is the advantage of the flight control buckshot over the slug. I was thinking that one would want the buckshot to spread out some. Please explain.

Upon striking a body, each pellet "carves" its own path. Slugs are devastating, but a load of buck shot will have a better chance of striking vital areas, even with a slightly misplaced shot. Spread is not your friend, because some pellets may not even hit the target. This is even more critical if your shot is not perfectly on target, which is a definitely possibility, in the dark, under stress, in a hurry. If possible, test it yourself. If not, there are multiple videos on line showing gel tests, meat tests, etc.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

You need to know how your shotgun performs with the ammunition you are using.

Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”