I finally decided to do it

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 4

I finally decided to do it

Post by cmgee67 »

I have been thinkin long and hard about putting a light in my carry gun and the more I got to thinking about it the more sense it made. Most of the time that I hear about a self defense shooting and even if someone has to draw their firearm it's night time. Chances are it won't be in a bright area. You can't shoot what you can't see. I always carry a flashlight in my pocket but what if one hands hurt then I can't use it. Not to mention a light in your firearm will temporarily blind the attacker and may give you and your loved ones time to escape without ever having to fire a shot. Let me remind everybody about Aurora. Enough said about that. You can have the most expensive tritium sights on your gun but they don't light up a dark area. I went with the Inforce APLC which is specifically made for the Glock 19 and will work on our other Glocks. My buddy has used their lights for a couple years and he is the one who turned me on to them. I could spend a little more money and get a surefire xc1 but it doesn't have as good of a throw or shine as far as the inforce and I like the controls better on the inforce.

Y'all have a great week!

skeathley
Posts in topic: 1

Re: I finally decided to do it

Post by skeathley »

Just a reminder, a light on your gun also tells the bad guy where to return fire.

:fire
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

skeathley wrote:Just a reminder, a light on your gun also tells the bad guy where to return fire.

:iagree: Besides the fact a burglar will know where you are you may think about your own pupils have a reaction time as well. In my opinion a flashlight is useful after you dealt with a threat. It won't have the blinding affect of a flash bang. A laser only and some simulated training in the dark may be better advise. Just my opinion though.

:tiphat:
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

I agree light can have that effect on you but I'm talking mostly about concealed carry. I believe there are more benefits to using a light than not having one. Also it's very important to have a light on your home defense gun. You need to see what your shooting at. You don't want to accidentally shoot a loved one when they come home at 3 and scare you. And when you use a light you can do momentary on shoot move then on again if your worried about him seeing your light. To me there's way More pros than cons about a light. Most police departments carry lights on their guns to what? SEE! It's important.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

In the military I was taught noise and light discipline ( no noise, no lights ), so I kinda favor not having a light on a weapon. I prefer not to broadcast my location or provide a target. But that is just my preference.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

skeathley wrote:Just a reminder, a light on your gun also tells the bad guy where to return fire.

You can use the strobe function on your light to mitigate this to some extent.

Using the light in that fashion will let you identify your target and will also tell the BG where you are, but he won't be able to look directly at the light without becoming disoriented or nauseated. Intermittent use complicates the BG's challenges further. He could fire at your general location, but without accuracy. Just keep in mind that you can be hit by inaccurate fire.

It's a tradeoff. You decide based on the situation.

If it's 3:00 AM in a home where only you and your wife live, your wife is next to you, you just heard a loud crash and there's someone else coming into your bedroom, your challenges and options are different than a situation where you also have 3 teenagers who sleep in their own bedrooms, you didn't hear anything unusual, and you don't know where each of them is at the moment.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

You can use the strobe function on your light to mitigate this to some extent.

Using the light in that fashion will let you identify your target and will also tell the BG where you are, but he won't be able to look directly at the light without becoming disoriented or nauseated. Intermittent use complicates the BG's challenges further. He could fire at your general location, but without accuracy. Just keep in mind that you can be hit by inaccurate fire, and it takes some practice to use the strobe well without confusing yourself.

It's a tradeoff. You decide based on the situation.

If it's 3:00 AM in a home where only you and your wife live, your wife is next to you, you just heard a loud crash and there's someone else coming into your bedroom, your challenges and options are different than a situation where you also have 3 teenagers who sleep in their own bedrooms, you didn't hear anything unusual, and you don't know where each of them is at the moment.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

bmwrdr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bmwrdr »

flowrie wrote:In the military I was taught noise and light discipline ( no noise, no lights ), so I kinda favor not having a light on a weapon. I prefer not to broadcast my location or provide a target. But that is just my preference.

:iagree: We even had flash supressors mounted for that particular reason. Gun mounted flashlights were not even available.I am not against a flashlight on a gun but in my opinion it is just a benefit to illuminate the surounding area after the fact. Most important is the 911 call ASAP.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 2

Post by WTR »

I like my old Surefire because I can just temporarily illuminate the potential problem. Can you also do that with a weapon mounted light?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It depends on the potential situations one is likely to find themselves in. I keep a small tactical flashlight in my weak side pocket. If Ineed it to highlite a bad guy, I can hold it out away from my body. I have pretty decent night vision for an old guy, and know my home better than any intruder. I think darkness is more likely to be my friend.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

It depends on the potential situations one is likely to find themselves in. I keep a small tactical flashlight in my weak side pocket. If Ineed it to highlite a bad guy, I can hold it out away from my body. I have pretty decent night vision for an old guy, and know my home better than any intruder. I think darkness is more likely to be my friend.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

In my home, they are going to have to come to me where I have a defensive position and they will be back lit for me. Besides, I'm well insured and they can have my 20 year old TV.

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Momentary on and strobe are your friends. Like another guy has said he may see a light but may not know exactly where's he's firing. If the BG doesn't have a gun and just has a knife or a big pipe, A light will act as a good tool. You want a two handed grip on the firearm if you can and thinking you can draw your gun and your flashlight out of your pocket and do what you need to do is not going to be as fast as an already mounted light. That's like the carry the round chambered or not chambered debate. Saying you can draw rack and be as fast as a round in the chamber already. You don't have actuate the light either! You can choose when to use it or when not to!!! So if you don't want to use it then don't if you need to then do. You may see good at night and get where you need to fire or ambush then use your weapon light. It's not a tool that has to be used all the time. It's there in case you need it. Kind of like your gun. It's there if you need it.

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

I am not a fan of lights on carry guns for most people. I think the basic premise stated for the need is wrong. It may be true for a home defense weapon that you cannot shoot what you cannot see, but in most self-defense situations you are going to be able to see the target. Think about all of your travels at night. When was the last time you were in a place that was so dark you could not see a person standing within a few feet of you? If it is an outdoor self-defense situation where you are limited tot he gun you have on your hip, you will be able to see the target you need to see.

For home defense, I advise not going in search of trouble, though I cannot say doing so is wrong. If someone were to break into my house, I have a defensive position I would set up in that prevents them getting into the bedrooms where my wife or children may be. If they are in the living room or kitchen, I will call the police and let them handle it. That is my call, of course, and I will not say taking other positions on this is wrong.

I may need a light on my home defense gun but not on the carry gun.
Steve Rothstein

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

You are assuming that everywhere you and everything you do at night time will be lit up. That's false. Dim light situations or any number of things can and will happen. I live by the saying pray the best prepare for the worst. Stay equipped and be ready as best as you can. I carry a handheld and soon a light on my gun. It's my choice and I can see the pros and cons. And the pros outway the cons for me. Something that works for me may not work for you.

I was once told if you want advice ask one person. If you want an opinion ask everyone else.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”