Reloading While Shooting Question

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Reloading While Shooting Question

Post by carlson1 »

How do you prefer to reload while shooting? I watched this video and it made my brain hurt :confused5 Do you like the "sling shot" method, "over the top" method, or the "slide stop" method and why? Back in another century I was taught to use the slide stop and I do not remember when or how I started using "over the top method." Videos for food for thought.

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Reloading While Shooting Question

Post by troglodyte »

This is just a quick thought observation.

It would seem to me that the slide release manipulation would/could be difficult in that it may be too easy to miss the release. I understand where he is coming from on the whole fine motor skills logic but the slide release on all my guns is not that big and don't readily give my thumb an easy purchase. Not to say that I couldn't learn it but I see where there is a lot more room for error. Throw in if your gun or thumb is wet or slick or you have gloves on and I feel it makes it a lot more difficult. All the other fine motor skills he mentioned are natural to the position of the hand on the gun. Trigger pull is a fine motor skill but even if you mess up the nice easy trigger pull the round still goes down range and probably pretty close to where you aimed. Sighting in is important but in a self-defense situation we will likely fall back to point shooting, at least for the first "Oh No!" round. So the idea of hitting the slide release with my off thumb during a tactical reload while I'm moving, panting, and possibly wetting myself seems a little much. Yes, training will help but it just seems a little too much to ask.

I'm an over the top, if for know reason than it seems easiest and it is hard to miss a grip on the slide. Hand position is not as critical to get a good enough grip to rack the slide. It is more of a gross motor skill and doesn't require hitting an almost flush, half-inch long, flat release with my off thumb. I do like the idea that the slide release method keeps the hands together and tight but I don't know if it is worth the trade off of missing the slide release.

The slingshot is OK but again you are relying on a more precise grip to rack the slide. I have done it this way but again, in the time of need, if my hands are wet or slick this is going to be more of a challenge.

I'm not an expert and I don't train as often as I should so I need to keep things simple and reliable. Over the top may be a little slower but it is, IMO, less likely for me to mess up. When it comes down to it you do what you do best. More training may change my mind but I have to stay within my limitations and do what is proven to work for me.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I use the over the top or slingshot method (I think these are the same, not sure), but I am training myself to use the slide release because my newest IDPA gun (Walther Q5 Match) has a nice big slide release and it seems like it should be quite a bit quicker to seat the new mag with my support hand, then just rotate it clockwise and hit the slide release. This gun also has a convenient tendency of releasing the slide when I slap in a new magazine, something I consider to be a feature and not a bug, so that is also nice.

FCH

Post by FCH »

Interesting. I'm using the "sling-shot" method but I kind of stumbled into it.
When I first started shooting handguns, I used the shooting thumb on the slide release. This is how I was shown. When my wife got her Sig P938, the slide release was too hard to work so one of the range instructors showed her the "sling-shot". I found myself naturally following the same method.

Regarding the shooting thumb on the slide release. I don't think it is messing with my grip. My routine practice drill is 3-5 shots with a two handed grip. Then I rotate my power chair and take 3-5 shots with my dominant hand fully extended, then I rotate in the other direction and shoot with my dominant hand over my lap. Finally, I practice several different positions with my non-dominant hand.

I think this is a way to build muscle memory that applies to several different situations.

I doubt that my physical abilities will allow me to survive past the 15 rounds in the gun but if they do, reloading is not going to be that critical.
NRA Member
TSRA Member

Excaliber

Post by Excaliber »

For me it depends on the gun.

With a 1911 the easy to use slide release falls right under my thumb and releasing the slide with it is both fast and reliable.

With almost every other semiauto handgun I use the over the top method as the easiest and most reliable. The exception is my Model 1.0 S&W M&P that automatically releases the locked back slide when a new magazine is inserted. I like that a lot. Unfortunately I hear that the Model 2.0 did away with this feature.
Excaliber

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." - Jeff Cooper
I am not a lawyer. Nothing in any of my posts should be construed as legal or professional advice.

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

When I was on the Tactical Team the sargeant over training insisted I reload with my right hand which I did any way but use my index finger to release the slide stop to chamber the round and go back to shooting, he'd yell at you if you took your eyes off the target to reload, do it twice in a row and you had to do push ups!

Oh I'm left handed!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

bmwrdr

Post by bmwrdr »

Over the top since 1981 as tought in the military. Doing anything different would have caused the seargants special attention and I don't want to know what ideas for correction he would have had.
I scarified political correctness to preserve honesty ︻╦̵̵͇̿̿̿̿══╤─

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

I use "over the top" or "horseshoe".

My BTA-90 has a very large slide lock lever that works very well for releasing the slide with my firing thumb. I don't use it for that.

My S&W M&P Mod 2.0 has a tiny slide lock button. S&W does not call it a slide release, they call it a slide lock. I am able to use it to release the slide if I shift my grip. So I don't.

I train using techniques that I feel will work well in all situations. I manage my gun high and close in to maximize my view of the threat and maintain retention. I use the "over the top" method as it allows me to work close to my chest, best use my strength and interferes less with using cover. Slingshot requires too much arm extension for me. "Over the top" works well with both of my pistols.

What works well for me, my hands, and my pistols may not work well of anyone else. Use what works for you.

Now, what about one hand and support hand reloading? :reddevil
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Excaliber wrote:For me it depends on the gun.

With almost every other semiauto handgun I use the over the top method as the easiest and most reliable. The exception is my Model 1.0 S&W M&P that automatically releases the locked back slide when a new magazine is inserted. I like that a lot. Unfortunately I hear that the Model 2.0 did away with this feature.
Both my Glocks and my Springfield XDm's will "auto reload" when I slap a fresh mag in during a "combat reload". If for some reason that doesn't happen, say slide is running dry, then it's "over the top" rack & release slingshot.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

Depends on the gun for me. M&P Shield, over the top. Taurus 809, slide release. I think I tend to go to the slide release, but as was mentioned earlier, the Shield doesn't really like to be used as a slide release...
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

Does the fact that both of those guys point their muzzles up in the air while reloading bother only me? When I do a tactical reload I keep my muzzle pointed down range and on or mostly on target. I can't recall if I'm over the top, sling shot, or if I work the slide release lever. It's been too long since I've been to the range to shoot with my handguns and even practice tactical reloads. :grumble
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

C-dub wrote:Does the fact that both of those guys point their muzzles up in the air while reloading bother only me? When I do a tactical reload I keep my muzzle pointed down range and on or mostly on target. I can't recall if I'm over the top, sling shot, or if I work the slide release lever. It's been too long since I've been to the range to shoot with my handguns and even practice tactical reloads. :grumble
I know I would have had my muzzle called at a match!
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

I have never tried hitting the slide release, with my off hand. Once I insert a new mag, my off hand falls back into a gripping position over my strong hand. It would , for me, be very awkward, to try to hit the slide release with my off hand, because my off hand thumb, falls in behind my shooting hand thumb (if that make sense). It may not be the grip everyone uses, but it works for me.
On my M&P hitting the slide release with my shooting hand thumb, with a full magazine, is very light, and easy to manipulate with my shooting hand thumb. I have seen other posts, where it automatically releases, with the insertion of a full mag, but mine has only done that a couple of times, and It may be because my thumb slightly touched the mag release. If there is some issue where it won't release, I do the slingshot method, to release the slide, but I I have only had to do that once, and it was due to not getting the mag fully inserted, which made me revert to a tap, rack, bang type type scenario, with the slide locked back, not because the slide release, failed to operate properly.
I may look into trying the offhand mag release technique, but just running through it with empty hands feels awkward. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Bitter Clinger
Banned

Post by Bitter Clinger »

Jusme wrote:I have never tried hitting the slide release, with my off hand. Once I insert a new mag, my off hand falls back into a gripping position over my strong hand. It would , for me, be very awkward, to try to hit the slide release with my off hand, because my off hand thumb, falls in behind my shooting hand thumb (if that make sense). It may not be the grip everyone uses, but it works for me.
On my M&P hitting the slide release with my shooting hand thumb, with a full magazine, is very light, and easy to manipulate with my shooting hand thumb. I have seen other posts, where it automatically releases, with the insertion of a full mag, but mine has only done that a couple of times, and It may be because my thumb slightly touched the mag release. If there is some issue where it won't release, I do the slingshot method, to release the slide, but I I have only had to do that once, and it was due to not getting the mag fully inserted, which made me revert to a tap, rack, bang type type scenario, with the slide locked back, not because the slide release, failed to operate properly.
I may look into trying the offhand mag release technique, but just running through it with empty hands feels awkward. JMHO
I think I reported this before, but I did have a problem on my G17 where the slide release was ever so slightly bent (inward) and minor interference with the frame was preventing the "auto release / load" with a full mag (after lockback on empty). Once we finally figured it out, it was simple to fix and it runs like a champ.
"You may all go to H3ll, and I will go to Texas." - Davy Crockett
"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." - Wyatt Earp
NRA Life Member
לעולם לא תשכח

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

Do not use over the slide to release the slide, try to avoid swiping your weak hand. If slide is locked back on my HK30 inserting a fresh mag and slapping it in would release the slide and with new round in the chamber. On other pistols, I release the slide with the slide release lever. And, depending on the location of said lever, I can you my thumb of either hand of mine.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”