Gen 5 Glock intitial impressions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
dragun
Posts in topic: 3

Gen 5 Glock intitial impressions

Post by dragun »

Picked up the new gen 5 glock 19 this weekend and I have to say I'm really impressed with this gun. First off, not a fanboy by any means, (own way more sigs) but glock has improved this to be just about perfect out of the box.

The trigger is excellent, not light, like say the PPQ but much smoother than the typical glock. Mine out of the box measured 5.2 lbs avg of 10 pulls with a Lyman gauge. After about 300 rounds, very consistent right under 5lbs. I have an apex flat trigger w/ a gen 3 trigger bar and would describe the feeling as almost identical to that, pretty smooth and the mushy or crunchy feel is gone. No little bump on the trigger bar like the gen 4 and they changed the plunger to be more of a "ramp" shaped and not the rounded shape of the others.

No finger grooves anymore, I would undercut the trigger guard due to the glock knuckle but the lack of finger grooves have improved that, not sure I will need to undercut the trigger guard in this one. There is a little "half moon" cut on the front part of the grip for the flared magwell they've added. I thought maybe it would pinch my pinky or be an issue but it's not at all, I don't even notice it.

They have also slightly changed the barrel to a more match grade barrel and this is the most accurate handgun out of the box I've had. Just dead on accurate for me. I have an rmr on a glock 19 and with the gen 5 under about 12 yards, my groups are just as good. They also now offer versions that come with ameriglo night sights.

For you leftys, they now have an ambi slide stop lever.

Overall my impressions are very positive with the new gen 5 so far. If you like glocks, you'll love this one right out of the box, really no need for any aftermarket stuff. If you just haven't been enamored with glock, you might want to give this one a try. If you can't stand the grip angle, we'll this still won't work for you. I would say the ergo's are much improved without the finger grooves which I didn't mind to begin with but feels better without them.

Glock has done really well with the improvements and so far I'm really happy with this gun. can't wait to put more rounds down range but so far it's a big winner for me.

CZp10
Banned

Re: Gen 5 Glock intitial impressions

Post by CZp10 »

Thanks for the review. My wife and I tried the new Gen 5 over the weekend. We thought the same thing, better trigger, seemed accurate out of the box, slide finish seems nice. She wants a 19, I am trying to figure out if it would be better to order it with the Ameriglo Operator sights from the factory, or add sights later. I haven't tried Ameriglo before, so not sure how they compare to Truglo.

Topic author
dragun

Post by dragun »

CZp10 wrote:Thanks for the review. My wife and I tried the new Gen 5 over the weekend. We thought the same thing, better trigger, seemed accurate out of the box, slide finish seems nice. She wants a 19, I am trying to figure out if it would be better to order it with the Ameriglo Operator sights from the factory, or add sights later. I haven't tried Ameriglo before, so not sure how they compare to Truglo.
I've had both truglo and ameriglo sights. Really both are very good, I would say that from a "brightness" standpoint the truglo sights I've had (Tfo's & Tfx) really pop, especially during the day outdoors. That said, I tend to go with ameriglo because they tend to have pretty close to the same poa/poi that my stock sights have had. The 2 times I got the truglo, the front post always seemed higher so I had to change the poa for me. YMMV

Funny because the crappy plastic sights on the gen 5 I got (they didn't have the ns option where I purchases yet) are so dialed in that I am very hesitant to even change them out as right now the poa/poi is absolutely perfect for me.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Well, I'm a bit jealous, but as much as I would love to own one, I'm already in for five Gen4 guns (17, 19, 26, 43x2), and a Gen3 19. Unless I went for something like a G34, which I don't really need, it would be difficult for me to justify the purchase.....especially to SWMBO. Besides, I'm about to upgrade the 17, both 19s, and the 26 to threaded barrels for the suppressor I'm waiting on; and the combined cost pretty much eliminates buying a new Glock 9mm.

......OTH, the suppressor is a 45 caliber, and none of my 45s are Glocks.........yet........ :evil2:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Liberty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Liberty »

I guess I will have to wait and hope for a Gen 6 with a hammer and manual safety :biggrinjester:
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Are they releasing all models in a gen 5 configuration?

Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Liberty wrote:I guess I will have to wait and hope for a Gen 6 with a hammer and manual safety :biggrinjester:
It's already here. You just need to look for the models that have a "CZ" designation.

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote:Are they releasing all models in a gen 5 configuration?
Right now it is just the 17 and 19 for Gen 5. There seems to be confusion on what will come next. Some are saying they can’t do bigger calibers than 9mm with the new two pin frame, so who know what happens with that.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

I was all set to buy one of the Summer Special Glock's with the front serrations and then Glock drops these.

Any idea if the magazines are compatible between the generations? I'm going to assume so but I haven't read anything either way.

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Good to hear. I plan on pickin a gen 5 up in the future. I want to wait a little bit to make sure if there's any bugs needing to be worked out they are.

rentz

Post by rentz »

and here i am with a gssf voucher burning a hole in my pocket.
gen5 g19 here i come.

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

AndyC wrote:
dragun wrote:pretty smooth and the mushy or crunchy feel is gone.
Hmmmm... :cool:
The Annoyed Man wrote:......OTH, the suppressor is a 45 caliber, and none of my 45s are Glocks.........yet........ :evil2:
Allow me to *ahem* help further: No gunsmithing needed to drop in one of those threaded aftermarket barrels, either ;-)
Oh, you're a big help! :smilelol5:
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Legionnaire

Post by Legionnaire »

Thanks for the review. I'm going to start looking for a 19, too.
Cogito, ergo armatus sum.

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote:I was all set to buy one of the Summer Special Glock's with the front serrations and then Glock drops these.

Any idea if the magazines are compatible between the generations? I'm going to assume so but I haven't read anything either way.
From what I see, all old magazines will work.
The problem some are complaining about is that there are a number of new parts in the Gen 5 so you won't be able to just take out parts from past generations and swap them out. Personally I don't have a problem with that, but some people with a lot of older Glocks are bothered by it.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”