Pros & cons comparing rifles w/ shotguns using slugs?

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 2
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Pros & cons comparing rifles w/ shotguns using slugs?

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Recently I read where Alaskans who travel in bear country prefer to carry 12 gauge shotguns,
loaded with slugs. Granted, this could be just 1 person's opinion on a carry weapon in such
territory.

But it got me to wondering: It seems to me a rifle with regular bullets would be the equivalent
of a 12 gauge that used slugs, but a rifle (depending on brand/model) would seem to have the
edge due to increased round count.

Would a shotgun using slugs have much higher fps (feet per second) velocity, than, say an AR-15?
Is that why a shotgun might be preferable? What about a .270/.30.06, other calibers than .223?

What's the pros and cons of these 2 firearms with regard to stopping a bear, or a human threat?

I haven't been on the board much at all lately, but I will strive to check in on this thread, since I
started it. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

jason812
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Pros & cons comparing rifles w/ shotguns using slugs?

Post by jason812 »

A slug equals 1oz or 437.5 grains and out of a 12ga is close to 3/4in diameter before expansion. Not many if any rifles you would want to carry around will pack that kind of punch. Out of a defensive type shotgun, 6 or 7 rounds will be common with an 18in barrel. Against an angry bear, I would take a SLP with slugs over any rifle I could carry.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

From what I've read, written by people who frequent Alaska bear country, the weapon of choice is indeed a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs.

A 3" 1-3/8 oz hardened lead slug, moving at 1500fps is going to plow straight thru almost anything it hits and leave a big hole behind.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Pawpaw wrote:From what I've read, written by people who frequent Alaska bear country, the weapon of choice is indeed a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs.

A 3" 1-3/8 oz hardened lead slug, moving at 1500fps is going to plow straight thru almost anything it hits and leave a big hole behind.
:iagree: Never been to Alaska and probably never will be, but a short barreled 12ga SG with 00 Buck followed by Brenneke slugs would be hard to beat in my opinion. My logic is a first shot might be hurried and buck shot could narrow the margin of error. Nothing wrong with carrying a big bore pistol as well.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

:iagree:

Slugs or #1 buck flight control will put much more energy into a big angry animal than even a 45-70 or smaller rifle cartridge will. The only drawback is distance. If you are hunting bear, and making longer distance shots, then I would opt for the rifle, but, if it is strictly a self preservation situation, at distances under 100 yards, then I'll take the shotgun. JMHO
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

I have two friends who went to Alaska on guided hunts. The " latrine" and " camp" gun of choice was a 12 ga loaded with a round of buckshot followed by slugs.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Pawpaw wrote:From what I've read, written by people who frequent Alaska bear country, the weapon of choice is indeed a 12 gauge loaded with Brenneke slugs.

Interesting that you mention Brenneke slugs as the latest issue of GunTests (08/2017) confirms the Brenneke as their pick for dangerous game. Hope I never have to use one. 602 gr. Must kick like the dickens.

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

The only downside of slugs, is its limited range less than 50 yards otherwise, you lose accuracy
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Beiruty wrote:The only downside of slugs, is its limited range less than 50 yards otherwise, you lose accuracy
Shooting a bear at more than 50yds isn't likely to be an acceptable excuse to a game warden. Those bears though can be a pretty big target. There are places in New England that restrict deer hunting to shotguns. 75 to 100yd kills aren't uncommon.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 5

Post by Pawpaw »

Liberty wrote:
Beiruty wrote:The only downside of slugs, is its limited range less than 50 yards otherwise, you lose accuracy
Shooting a bear at more than 50yds isn't likely to be an acceptable excuse to a game warden. Those bears though can be a pretty big target. There are places in New England that restrict deer hunting to shotguns. 75 to 100yd kills aren't uncommon.
:iagree:

I think most of us are talking about protection against an attacking bear. Hunting is an entirely different issue.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Beiruty

Post by Beiruty »

My statement was a general observation of shotgun accuracy at distance.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

Slugs are also significantly larger in caliber, 12 gauge is .72 caliber equivalent. Obviously AR-15 in .223 is a .22 caliber. So you are looking at .22 cal vs. .72 cal, a big difference in the size. If facing an angry bear, especially in the 50 yards or less distance, I'd take a 3" 12 gauge slug. They pack a whallop.

RPBrown

Post by RPBrown »

I have a .340 Weatherby Magnum as my big game rifle. Dad left this one to me. I also have a S&W .500 that would be carried as well. I dont want a bear within 50 yards as the reaction time is very short, around 3 seconds. See the paper on the link below.

https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie/sp ... unters.pdf
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”