Revolver questions

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 5

Re: Revolver questions

Post by cmgee67 »

I found a vaquero today at my local gun shop. It's the color cased blued version with the factory walnut grips. It was used but the guy hardly ever shot it. There's zero wear on the barrel frame or grip. I checked the price tag and it was a price I couldn't beat anywhere I found. So she came home with me! I ran 50 rounds through her and it was everything I hoped for and more! I'm hooked! I'd like to replace grips and get a good holster for it. Any suggestions?

mommagamber
Posts in topic: 1

Post by mommagamber »

I have a Ruger GP 100 and a Chiappa Rhino. Love my Chiappa bought it when they first came out. It has been through a car accident (I was t-boned at 70 miles an hour) the chiappa was in the door that got hit. It is also my purse carry. Love the way it shoots.
I conceal carry because I choose not to be a victim.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Another revolver to look at would be the Uberti colt clones, they are well built and not near the price of the colt.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 5

Post by cmgee67 »

Ordered a triple K leather thrumb break leather holster for it. My vaquero is the "old" vaquero. According to the serial number made around 2001. Its in MINT condition. I can't believe the deal and the gun! I'm so excited. It's gonna have a long happy life with me. I'm gonna get new grips for it soon but havnt found any I like yet.

AdioSS

Post by AdioSS »

I must have missed the required pictures of all new gun purchases? :headscratch :fire

TaterinTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TaterinTexas »

I have Vaqueros in 44-40 and .357, and I love shooting them. I had a a problem with the 44-40 (which I bought second hand) and I sent it to Ruger for repair and they fixed it (free of course...per their policy). I love Ruger firearms.

TaterinTexas

Post by TaterinTexas »

cmgee67 wrote:I found a vaquero today at my local gun shop. It's the color cased blued version with the factory walnut grips. It was used but the guy hardly ever shot it. There's zero wear on the barrel frame or grip. I checked the price tag and it was a price I couldn't beat anywhere I found. So she came home with me! I ran 50 rounds through her and it was everything I hoped for and more! I'm hooked! I'd like to replace grips and get a good holster for it. Any suggestions?
There are folks at most of the gun shows that sell grips for Vaqueros and they sell a lot of really nice ones. I have bought them in white pearl, grey pearl, and my favorite, a black ebonite with a silver Texas star on it. You'll find lots of options.

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

patterson,

If you decide on the Ruger SP101 consider changing out the grips. The stock grips are undersized and I have relatively small hands.

I bought some Hogue grips for my Ruger SP101 for about $20.00 a few years back, maybe 5...?. They're a snap to change out plus provide a much better grip and frankly they look better too.

OldCurlyWolf

Post by OldCurlyWolf »

patterson wrote:I had somewhat the same idea I wanted a revolver for my wife so she could shoot at the range with me. I got a Ruger SP101 .357 so she can shoot .38 specials and I could shoot .357 magnum loads and we both enjoy shooting it
I bought a SP-101 for my wife about 3 weeks ago. Put Crimson Trace Laser grips on it. She needed to have something with less recoil than the Charter Arms Bulldog that I had left at the house for her. I also bought some .38's for her and no .357's.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do those things to other people and I require the same of them.

Don’t pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he’ll just kill you.

flechero

Post by flechero »

AdioSS wrote:I must have missed the required pictures of all new gun purchases? :headscratch :fire
Thought the same thing... a clear and blatant violation of Forum rule #22. Careful cmgee67, lots of banning lately for rule breaking. :lol: Better get those pics up before a Mod sees this!

SQLGeek
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SQLGeek »

This thread is worthless without pictures. :smash:

I am kidding, of course, but it's nice to see a good deal was found. I like the Vaqueros quite a bit, especially because my father had an older Ruger Single Six in .22 LR that I will be inheriting one day. I have been wanting to get into SASS so a pair of Vaqueros chambered in .357 seem to be in my future.

I have to say I did not know that they sold conversion cylinders, so now I am quite interested as I have a ton of 9mm.
Psalm 91:2

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Upon further review, the 9mm conversion cylinder for a Vaquero is a custom deal. Bummer. Maybe I will price a .45 then.

G.A. Heath

Post by G.A. Heath »

SQLGeek wrote:Upon further review, the 9mm conversion cylinder for a Vaquero is a custom deal. Bummer. Maybe I will price a .45 then.
Unless you buy a gun that already has the alternate caliber cylinder with it (Like a ruger convertible) all single action revolvers w/ multiple cylinders are custom affairs due to the fact that the cylinder and action have to be properly timed. Often the Ruger Convertible models are dealer/distributor exclusives that Ruger uses to test the waters to see if there is demand for them at the time.
How do you explain a dog named Sauer without first telling the story of a Puppy named Sig?
R.I.P. Sig, 08/21/2019 - 11/18/2019

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

That makes sense and I'm sure I knew that somewhere in the recesses of my brain. I suppose I've betrayed my relative ignorance regarding revolvers.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”