The wife is weird sometimes..........

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

johncanfield
Posts in topic: 2

Re: The wife is weird sometimes..........

Post by johncanfield »

Dear wife and I celebrated our 45th last month, so much water under the bridge. She can still remember what we had to eat on our first wedding anniversary dinner and I'm lucky to remember my last meal.

So many times I wish I would have had a "Husband Operator Manual" when we got married, would have saved so much time and energy. :boxing
LC9s, M&P 22, 9c, Sig P238-P239-P226-P365XL, 1911 clone

Hoodasnacks
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Hoodasnacks »

We have an emergency prep fund that we put cash into every month. It buys things like food/water storage, a generator, etc. The good thing about that fund is that everything you buy is long term (e.g. freeze-dried food lasts 25 years)...so the money stacks up. If I want a new gun every couple of years, the money is there. It has prevented these kinds of arguments fairly well. When she asks "what do you need a new gun for"--I simply reply that I will need to be heavily armed to protect a woman as beautiful as her in an emergency situation, and besides--we have the cash right here. After she rolls her eyes she tells me to pick up dinner on the way back.

--The emergency fund works as a good range and ammo slush fund as well...bonus!

Syntyr

Post by Syntyr »

crazy2medic wrote:You buy a new gun, sneak it into the house, (tough part here) you keep it hidden for a couple of weeks(days?) Then when she finally sees it and asks "did you buy a new gun? Your reply is oooh nooo I've had this for awhile!
Thats why all of my guns are black and I only take them out of the safe one at a time. When she says that is the 10th time you have cleaned that gun this month. I just smile and say Just making sure! Or It pays to be prepared!
Syntyr
"Wherever you go... There you are." - Buckaroo Banzai
"Inconceivable!" - Fizzinni

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Brings to mind Sean Morey's "The Man's Song": https://youtu.be/NP4O6l5zbN4
I don't take no crap from anybody else, but you.
I wear the pants around here!...when I'm finished with
your laundry.
'Cause I'm a guy you don't want to fight! ... when I say
"jump" you say "yeah, right".
I'm the man of this house! ... until you get home.

What I say goes around here! ... right out the window.
And I don't want to hear a lot of whining! ... so I'll
shut up.
The sooner you learn who's boss around here! ... the
sooner you can give me my orders, dear.
'Cause I am the head honcho! ... but it's all in my head.

'Cause I'm a man who has needs! ... but they're not that
important.
And don't expect any flowers from me! ... because if I'm
not mistaken you prefer jewelry.
I'm the king of my castle! ... when you're not around.

And I'll drink and watch sports whenever I want! ... to
get into trouble.
And I'll come home when I'm good and ready! ... to sleep
on the couch.
Because a man's got to do what a man's got to do! ... and
I'm going to do what you tell me to.
Because I'm top dog around here! ... but I've been
neutered!
But Seriously......
The concept we've operated under for a couple of decades is that there are 3 "pots" (which may or may not correspond to actual bank accounts);
- her money
- my money
- our money

'our money' is stuff where we contribute more or less equally to go to stuff like utilities, mortgage, homeowners insurance, plumbing & A/C repairs/replacement, roof repairs, repair/replace stove, washer, fridge, water heater, etc.

'her money' goes for her normal stuff, and when she wants to make cosmetic changes like repainting a room or new kitchen cabinets or redoing the bathroom tile.

'my money' goes for my normal stuff, and things like my automotive, bicycling, firearms and digital electonics habits, and minor repair stuff like that bathroom faucet I replaced the other day (she's happy to go to Lowes or Home Depot or the Furniture stores to plan her projects, but she gets testy if I try to drag her to Lowes etc. just so she can pay for misc. repair parts - like the aforementioned faucet). :shock:

As it's 'my money' I don't ask her which Glock I should get next, or if my STI double stack makes me look fat, or what color my next road bike should be. So far, it's worked out fairly well with only minor bickering............ :totap:
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

bblhd672 wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote:You guys are funny. When I want to buy a gun, I say "I'm going to [insert name of death merchant here] to check out the [name gun here], so don't be surprised if I come home with it." And then I go, and I buy or not buy according to whateve I decide at the merchant's place of business. About a week or so after I bring the gun home, when the swelling has gone down over my dominant eye, and I can smile again without cracking open the split lip, I take it to the range and shoot it.

I wear the pants in my family, by golly, whether or not my wife has a good right hook and a solid left jab!
I am the captain of my house....

Unfortunately my wife is the admiral. :biggrinjester:
Actually, the above was purely in jest. My wife is actually a pretty good sport about these things. I support her decisions to buy things she wants - as long as it's not a totally irresponsible purchase, and she treats me likewise. Since neither of us tends to make irresponsible purchases, it works out Ok.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

rentz wrote:haha i get the same thing!
i comment oh hey there is a sale on 4k tv's maybe i should get one, or i want new stereo equipment " do what you want "
If i mention, ooh thats a good price on that 1911 "you dont need more guns"

so i go with the dont ask dont tell policy...you can't get in trouble for what they don't know about :evil2:
Unfortunately, we don't keep secrets from each other. After 42 years of marriage, she knows me pretty well and I know her not so well. ha

However, I will be able to get both the iWatch Series 3 and the Shockwave since I bought her a new super duty $7500 sewing/embroidery machine for Christmas last year. I have a lot of catch up $$ left.

Joe

rentz

Post by rentz »

JRG wrote:
rentz wrote:haha i get the same thing!
i comment oh hey there is a sale on 4k tv's maybe i should get one, or i want new stereo equipment " do what you want "
If i mention, ooh thats a good price on that 1911 "you dont need more guns"

so i go with the dont ask dont tell policy...you can't get in trouble for what they don't know about :evil2:
Unfortunately, we don't keep secrets from each other. After 42 years of marriage, she knows me pretty well and I know her not so well. ha

However, I will be able to get both the iWatch Series 3 and the Shockwave since I bought her a new super duty $7500 sewing/embroidery machine for Christmas last year. I have a lot of catch up $$ left.

Joe

haha yeah i know, i just buy what i want and deal with the ..."why do you need that??" later.
i get it with car stuff too "you dont need a super charger!" "how much money for exhaust work!??"

Flightmare

Post by Flightmare »

Deplorable lunatic since 2016

Topic author
JRG
Posts in topic: 3

Post by JRG »

Flightmare wrote:Image

LOVE IT!!

Joe

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”