Ruger LCP Loaded Carry

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
bamhauser
Posts in topic: 2

Ruger LCP Loaded Carry

Post by bamhauser »

Are there any design flaws with this weapon that I need to know about that would make it dangerous to carry with a round in the chamber? Personally, I'd prefer a semi-automatic with a decocker that is hammer fired just so I have the sense of security but I'm currently stuck with this gun until I get something else. I may even get a revolver. Am I being overly paranoid about a negligent discharge? To clarify, this would be pocket carry with the pocket holster that came with the pistol.

Medley86
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ruger LCP Loaded Carry

Post by Medley86 »

If it's the old style LCP and not the new LCP 2 the trigger pull is so heavy you don't have to worry about it. All the LCP models are double action only so they are decocked as much as say a Beretta 92 with the hammer down. I carry mine almost every day with the full 6+1 load in my back pocket in a holster with no problem. 2 or 3 times in the last 3 years of carrying I have been moving it in or out of my pocket and fumbled it. Gun hit the floor every time still in the holster, haven't had a bang yet.(note if you do drop it, just let it fall, safer to let it hit the floor than try to catch it and possibly grab the trigger with the muzzle pointed who knows where)
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

bobby
Posts in topic: 3

Post by bobby »

i carry a LCP II in pocket but only with this holster.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6 ... UTF8&psc=1
:txflag:

aaangel

Post by aaangel »

:iagree: with bobby. as long as you have a nice quality pocket holster, you are good to go! desantis nemesis, also very popular.
'got to Texas ASAIC.

swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Just got my wife LC9, for her purse. Hers has a safety. Does yours not?

MadMonkey

Post by MadMonkey »

You're overthinking it. I carried an LCP for years in a simple nylon pocket holster without an issue.
“Beware the fury of a patient man.” - John Dryden

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

I've been carrying an LCP 6+1 for several years, both IWB and now OWB. Never any incident, I never take it out of the holster except at the range (except to clean), so never a finger on the trigger accidentally.

Now, their is a history of discharge when dropped for early LCPs, certain early serial numbers. You could look that up and check your SERNO. Ruger issued a fix, and all subsequent models are OK.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

bobby

Post by bobby »

Can't fix pic
Last edited by bobby on Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

WTR
Banned

Post by WTR »

bobby wrote:Ok here is a better pic of what holster i was talking about...

No pic

Topic author
bamhauser
Posts in topic: 2

Post by bamhauser »

Got rid of it for a taurus model 85 38 special. I already like this gun better :D

bobby

Post by bobby »

ok how about now?

Vol Texan

Post by Vol Texan »

Here is the photo you're trying to post, Bobby. That site won't let you cross-link.
IMG_0075.JPG
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Never had a problem with mine! Before I sold it to my grandpa who loves it, I carried it in the desantis nemesis holster front pocket or the Blackhawk holster it came with back pocket. Front pocket for shorts, back pocket for jeans.

allisji

Post by allisji »

bamhauser wrote:Got rid of it for a taurus model 85 38 special. I already like this gun better :D
Trading 7 rounds of .380 acp or 5 rounds of .38 spl, you come out ahead on firepower. But you probably lose in concealability and carry options. Even the snubby is bigger than an LCP. Either one makes a fine backup gun. If you're planning to carry the Taurus as your primary then I'm sure that the guys can offer some good advice on speed loaders and such. If your model 85 is stainless then that is a good thing. My brother has a polymer frame revolver from Taurus, and once while we were shooting it, the cylinder locked up and we couldn't open the cylinder to clear the spent casings. He sent it in for repair and hasn't had a problem since.

I had a Taurus TCP 380 that is basically like the Ruger LCP, and it's been in for warranty work too. There is a reason why Taurus offers a lifetime warranty, and the reason is that many of their firearms end up needing it.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”