.44 AutoMag being reborn - JD Jones

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

John Galt
Posts in topic: 3

Re: .44 AutoMag being reborn - JD Jones

Post by John Galt »

How does the ammo compare to 44 mag revolver ammo?

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

John Galt wrote:How does the ammo compare to 44 mag revolver ammo?
It's not the same stuff?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Vol Texan
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Vol Texan »

C-dub wrote:
It's not the same stuff?
Revolver ammo (in general) has a rim that is wider than the casing to hold the cartridge in place within the rotating cylinder (prevents it from falling through the hole). Semi-auto ammo (in general) is not rimmed wider than the casing. Rather, it has an extractor groove. That groove gives an appearance of a rim behind it, but the rim is often the same diameter as the rest of the casing.

So, in theory, the ammo for the semi-auto would fall through the holes in the cylinder of a similarly-sized revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_(firearms)
Your best option for personal security is a lifelong commitment to avoidance, deterrence, and de-escalation.
When those fail, aim for center mass.

www.HoustonLTC.com Texas LTC Instructor | www.Texas3006.com Moderator | Tennessee Squire | Armored Cavalry

John Galt
Posts in topic: 3

Post by John Galt »

I have many years of shooting and reloading 44 mag revolver in my Smith 29.
I am asking about the power comparison and pricing. I will imagine that pricing is much higher than revolver ammo.

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Wasn't that the homemade round in the Beverly Hills Cop II movie, that was evidence that led Axel to the gun range?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

C-dub
Posts in topic: 5

Post by C-dub »

Vol Texan wrote:
C-dub wrote:
It's not the same stuff?
Revolver ammo (in general) has a rim that is wider than the casing to hold the cartridge in place within the rotating cylinder (prevents it from falling through the hole). Semi-auto ammo (in general) is not rimmed wider than the casing. Rather, it has an extractor groove. That groove gives an appearance of a rim behind it, but the rim is often the same diameter as the rest of the casing.

So, in theory, the ammo for the semi-auto would fall through the holes in the cylinder of a similarly-sized revolver.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rim_(firearms)
Okay, cool. Thanks.

FYI, and I guess everyone, I have a .44mag revolver and a .44mag Henry. The same ammo works well in both and cycles without any issues in the Henry. So, I guess the regular WWB .44mag ammo that I get at Wallyworld works okay with an extractor that the Henry uses.

P.S. It hurts more when shooting it from the revolver, but I'm guessing everyone already knew that. :biggrinjester:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

rotor

Post by rotor »

AndyC wrote:
oohrah wrote:Wasn't that the homemade round in the Beverly Hills Cop II movie, that was evidence that led Axel to the gun range?
I believe you're right, yes.
SRO1911 wrote:I used to use all my random range pick ups just for novelty..308, 243, 260, 30-06, 270, etc - different headstamp for different loads
I know about making brass from .308/270/etc - but that's a cool idea! :cheers2:
John Galt wrote:I have many years of shooting and reloading 44 mag revolver in my Smith 29.
I am asking about the power comparison and pricing. I will imagine that pricing is much higher than revolver ammo.
You're quite right - economies of scale and all that. However:
We have worked with Starline Brass to produce a run of 100,000 cases for the .44 amp cartridge. We are also in discussions with several ammunition manufacturers to start a line of .44 amp ammunition. We have entered in an agreement with SBR Ammunition of Brunswick Georgia to produce ammunition for the Auto Mag. We will endeavor to make ammunition and reloading components available at reasonable prices. We understand reasonably priced ammunition and reloading components will be a factor considered by potential purchases when deciding to buy a new Auto Mag. After all, what fun will a new Auto Mag be if you can’t fire it.
.44 AMP vs .44 Mag:
Midway has the brass on sale.

threoh8

Post by threoh8 »

I've always liked the looks of the Automag.

Remember the ads?

The sooner I get behind, the more time I have to catch up.

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

I sold a few of Excel Arms 22mag pistols, it was a neat concept so I bought one a while back. Out of the box it couldn't make it through one magazine without a failure to feed or failure to extract. I sent it to them for warranty work, they sent it back with specific info on loading and ammo to use (I was already following that) and said it was fixed. I took it out and it still couldn't make it through one mag so I sent it back (which costs me about $35 for shipping each time). They send it back once again and state it's fixed. I find out it's not and nothing has changed with functioning since I first fired it. It sat in my safe for a while then I took the Dremel to it to polish the feed ramp and other areas and finally got it working.
Needless to say I am not impressed with Excel and don't trust their quality control.

flechero

Post by flechero »

AndyC wrote: I've put myself on the list for one:
/
Pretty cool! What is the expected wait/ETA?

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”