Going to Austin. State capital question.

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

oljames3
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Going to Austin. State capital question.

Post by oljames3 »

bblhd672 wrote:Is carry in the Capitol concealed only or is open carry allowed? Planning first trip to Capitol also.
The last three times I have been to the capitol since 1/1/2016, I have carried openly.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Papa_Tiger »

SRO1911 wrote:similar question.
Last year when I visited the capital I went solo and used the express entrance, next time I will probably take my son.
Does he get to follow me through the express lane or do I have to accompany him through the mere mortal entrance?
You have to send him through the normal line. But once you do, you can cut over to the LTC line. The State Troopers there will watch him as you make your way around.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

treadlightly wrote:I haven't been to the Capital since getting my card from the State, but I really want to.

It would be an honor to enter a seat of power in this State in which an unknown number of law abiding strangers are armed and in which I am trusted to carry a weapon by those who regulate my activities on authority of the consent of the governed.

That, to me, is what citizenship feels like. Every time a law abiding citizen in full possession of his rights and bearing his responsibilities with zeal participates in the business of government, even by so casual a thing as a tourist's visit to the Capital building, democracy is vitalized.

If only there was a way to communicate self-evident truths to all our fellow citizens, preferably before they vote again.

:iagree:

tool4daman

Post by tool4daman »

I have a friend from out of state who holds a carry permit from his home state of Florida, which Texas recognizes. We are planning on visiting the State Capitol building. I haven't read or heard of anything that would prohibit him from carrying into the State Capitol with his Florida permit, but want to ensure I haven't missed anything. Anyone know of any reason he would not be allowed to carry there?
Best advice I was ever given- Don't mess with the dog while he's eatin'.

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

My brother from AZ was not allowed to carry in capitol building. No explanation was given as to why not.

I wasn't there. I got an unrepeatable text message about it.

ELB

Post by ELB »

I can't point to it right now, but I do believe the rules for carry at the Capitol (set by the Legislature, not DPS) only recognize Texas issued LTCs. The DPS (at least the times I went) compare the LTC you hand them to the DPS database to make sure it is current. They couldn't do that with every state's license.
USAF 1982-2005

Lynyrd

Post by Lynyrd »

I know this is an old thread, but I decided to post here instead of starting a new one since this thread is about the Texas Capitol. My question is this, Do the guided tours give you access to more areas of the Capitol, that if you do not reserve a spot in a tour? Or can you still have access to all the same places if you are not part of a tour?

I have not been there since 1966.
Do what you say you're gonna do.

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”