357 revolver carry options

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
cmgee67
Posts in topic: 3

357 revolver carry options

Post by cmgee67 »

Got a buddy who asked what are some good carry options in 357 magnum. Me being new to to relvolvers I didn't know what to tell him but I knew you guys could help out. What do y'all recommend? He said hammer or hammerless it doesn't matter. I mentioned the Ruger lcrx but that's about all I know of

bigtek
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: 357 revolver carry options

Post by bigtek »

If he wants to carry IWB, he should look at the Ruger SP-101. It's compact but all steel so it's not great for pocket carry but it's much more comfortable to shoot than the lightweight snubbies. If he wants to carry for OWB, any big name 3-4" DA six shooter will do the job and the right choice depends on personal preference more than anything else.
Deck the halls with nitroglycerin
Fa la la la la la la la la!
Strike a match and see who's missin'
Fa la la la la la la la la!

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

He said he's only gonna carry 38s in it but wants the option of a 357. I wouldn't think in such a short barrel that the 357 ballistic ally would make much of a difference than a plus P 38

parabelum

Post by parabelum »

I'd prefer hamerless in 327 mag.

skeathley

Post by skeathley »

I have a Rossi all-steel snub-nose, and have shot both .357 and .38 +P. The difference is very slight.

Carrying IWB is difficult, because of the thickness of the guns, unless you go with one of the 5-shot models. A 5-shot .38 that will handle +P is a good choice, but if the gun is too light, it will be punishing to shoot.

However, if you are determined, you can carry a steel .357 and make it work.
Texas LTC Instructor / RSO / SSC
Viet Nam Veteran: 25th Infantry, Cu Chi
https://mckinneyfirearmstraining.com

Lena

Post by Lena »

I carried a 4" 19 for years on duty, they issued a 2-1/2" 66 which I loved and still have as a gift, I never had any problems with either, all we were allowed were Colt S&W or Ruger.
Stay Safe

Bruin98

Post by Bruin98 »

I carry the lcr. Most of the time it's in my pocket. If I'm wearing swear pants I carry iwb with a sticky holster. No issues yet.

cheezit

Post by cheezit »

S&W 28-2 in 3.5" barrel length would be my number 1 choice in .357 for a carry gun.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

bigtek wrote:If he wants to carry IWB, he should look at the Ruger SP-101. It's compact but all steel so it's not great for pocket carry but it's much more comfortable to shoot than the lightweight snubbies. If he wants to carry for OWB, any big name 3-4" DA six shooter will do the job and the right choice depends on personal preference more than anything else.
:iagree:

SP101 will make the .38+p and .357 125gr comfortable to shoot, the stock trigger on mine indexes almost as well as my S&W x86's, and the 101 uses the j-frame HKS speed loaders (HKS Model 36?).

Ditto the above if he wants to carry a larger revolver. Carry whatever he likes; the trick will be finding a holster that meets his preferences.
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Topic author
cmgee67

Post by cmgee67 »

Thanks all. I will be forwarding him this thread!

J.R.@A&M

Post by J.R.@A&M »

I like steel and don't mind slightly beefier sized five shot snubs like the SP101 (carried in shoulder, ankle, and belly band holsters). The recoil using Speer Gold Dot 135 gr. "short barrel" ammo for .357 magnum is very manageable.
“Always liked me a sidearm with some heft.” Boss Spearman in Open Range.

kg5ie

Post by kg5ie »

Look at Ruger LCR in .357.
Bill Davis [kg5ie]
TX LTC Instructor / School Safety Instructor
NRA Pistol Instructor
http://safe-2-carry.com

nimravus01

Post by nimravus01 »

I have a Chiappa Rhino (5" version), but, they make a snubby too. It handles .357 like a champ and is easier on the recoil than my S&W of similar size. It's also a little thinner on the sides thanks to the cylinder being flat on the sides.

GreenMan0352

Post by GreenMan0352 »

There are plenty of options but my favorite out of all my carry revolvers would have to be my Kimber K6S and they now make a 3" barrel if he wanted better ballistics. Also another member mentioned the Chiappa Rhino although I do not have a snub nosed either the 6" barrel is a sweet shooter! So I would for sure also tell your friend to check out the rhino.

karder

Post by karder »

I am still trying to get my hands on a Kimber 6. I've heard great things and that 3 inch barrel would be perfect. Plus, they're darn pretty too.
“While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.” ― Samuel Adams

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”