Need help teaching wife to shoot

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Boxerrider
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need help teaching wife to shoot

Post by Boxerrider »

Sidro wrote:Look up Ricochet Red from Iowa Park, she may be willing to help her. She teaches LTC classes and may be able to help her out. I would help but am tied up for the next 5 weeks. If you can't find the number PM me and I will get it for you.
:iagree:
Wife and I took a renewal class of hers once and she immediately popped in my mind when I saw your location.

Enjoy!
Jeff

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

I can help if the Both are willing to shoot at FGC. I can offer Guest Pistol lane pass too M-F. Best day for me is Friday afternoon. I can coach using 22LR and 9mm too.

Whatever compensation if any is voluntarily.
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

swilkes wrote:
C-dub wrote:I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. I have a few different .22's from a revolver to a couple different semiautos and a really sweet shooting .357mag revolver that also takes .38 rounds. If there isn't anyone closer to you that you are able to get together with then we'll see if we can arrange a time and place to meet and it'll be a great excuse for me to take another ride.
Will take you up on that offer. We are willing to travel also. Where are you?
I'm only a few miles north of Dallas. Where do you two go to shoot now?
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

Topic author
swilkes
Posts in topic: 6

Post by swilkes »

C-dub wrote:
swilkes wrote:
C-dub wrote:I'll try and keep an eye on this thread. I have a few different .22's from a revolver to a couple different semiautos and a really sweet shooting .357mag revolver that also takes .38 rounds. If there isn't anyone closer to you that you are able to get together with then we'll see if we can arrange a time and place to meet and it'll be a great excuse for me to take another ride.
we go to the Field And Stream gun range, over by the base and airport.

Topic author
swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Boxerrider wrote:
Sidro wrote:Look up Ricochet Red from Iowa Park, she may be willing to help her. She teaches LTC classes and may be able to help her out. I would help but am tied up for the next 5 weeks. If you can't find the number PM me and I will get it for you.
Wife and I took a renewal class of hers once and she immediately popped in my mind when I saw your location.

Enjoy!
Jeff
Is she involved with Point Blank LTC class?

Boxerrider

Post by Boxerrider »

Boxerrider wrote:

Enjoy!
Jeff
Found it - this is from a public facebook page, for her business, so I feel ok posting it. I don't know what she is associated with and what she isn't, but I didn't see anything about Point Blank on her page, and she advertises for her own classes. There was something about a new range. I'm not from the area - in-laws live there and we attended while visiting. She was recommended by my father-in-law, and wife (not a frequent shooter) and I both enjoyed the course.
Kathy Richardson
940-867-3028

C-dub
Posts in topic: 4

Post by C-dub »

swilkes wrote:
C-dub wrote:
swilkes wrote:
we go to the Field And Stream gun range, over by the base and airport.
Okay. Let's see how this works out and if anyone closer is able to help you sooner than I can. Due to my own schedule it might be a few weeks to a month or more before we could coordinate our schedules to meet at that range or find another we could both travel to. Of course, it would be easier if someone closer is able to help you sooner, but if that doesn't happen for whatever reason we'll see what we can work out. A little time won't hurt anything and might even help with your wife's anxiety with shooting to just leave it be for a little while.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

Good for you. From all the responses, I see a lot of husbands that are fortunate to still have wives after trying to teach them to do anything.... especially shooting.
I was in the same boat until I was volunteered by my mother to teach her Sunday School class how to shoot about 15 years ago. This turned into a girls night out at the shooting range ever odd Thursday of the month. My wife went and then asked, "Why don't you be as patient and nice to me, as you are to the ladies you do not know as well?". I realized that she had a point! I guess, I expected my wife to read my mind and know what I was thinking when I said something, the way she expects me to read her mind. LOL (I guess it doesn't work both ways) She gave me a "do over", I went out of my way to teach her like I would treat someone I do not know well. She agreed to listen to me like I was not the one that left the toilet seat up. ( I don't do that, even though it is the Master bathroom)

This arrangement worked out very well, in fact, she just had rotor cuff surgery (right shoulder) and complained about how long she have to wait to shoot. Good Luck with your endeavors and there is a light at the end of the tunnel.
Oh, and do get a 22lr to practice with, it will make your shooting with her much more desirable.
Last edited by twomillenium on Sun Sep 24, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

QB

Post by QB »

Years ago I wanted to get my best friend into shooting so she'd go to the range with me. The first time I took her she shot one round and that was it. Not only did the noise bother her but also the percussion and felt recoil (the gun was a 9mm Beretta 92G). It didn't help that there was a guy next to us shooting a large caliber....sigh.

I only had 9mm, 45ACP, 357SIG and 38 Super so I went out and bought a 22LR semi auto (I use all kinds of excuses to buy guns....LOL). I can't remember, maybe a S&W or Ruger? Took her back to the range during a quiet time and I shot the 22LR first so she could see/hear it. I asked if she wanted to try the 22LR and she agreed so I showed her how it worked, etc. It was love at first trigger pull. I couldn't pry it out of her hands!!!!

After that, when we were at the range I would ask if she wanted to shoot any of my other guns and she said no, so I let it alone and just let her shoot the 22LR. One day I was shooting my Colt Special Combat 1911 and she was watching. I asked if she wanted to shoot it and surprisingly she said yes (it was a gorgeous hard chrome gun and drew her attention). I showed her the manual of arms, had her load one round in it and fire at a target 7 yards away (oh......we shoot at indoor ranges). She drilled it in the bullseye, turned her head towards me and said "I really like this one"!!! Needless to say she had her own Colt Special Combat 1911 (hard chrome) two weeks later. She really liked the "slow push" of that 1911 compared to 9mm.

Next she got a 9mm Glock and her Texas CHL (LTC) and the rest is history. She doesn't do well with double action trigger pulls due to weak hand strength (arthritis) so we had to make sure she could rack the slides on whatever semi-autos she wanted to purchase.

Long story short........I tried to find out what she was comfortable with, didn't pressure her to try what she didn't want to, slowly moved into "louder" situations at the range, made sure she had really good hearing protection, went real slow.....I guess the main thing was that she felt comfortable and was having fun. You may have tried all these things but sometimes it's just a thing between husbands trying to teach their wives..... :grumble

She loves to shoot my 22LR rifles and hates my AR15s. So guess what......she shoots my 22LR rifles. :lol:

By the way, I'm a woman so maybe that helped ease her initial fears or maybe it was that I tried to make her feel comfortable and didn't push her, I don't know. But sometimes it just takes time and the ability to accept the limitations the other person may have.

If you are ever in the DFW/Carrollton area let me know and I could meet you/your wife at the range with a few 22LRs that I have (with suppressors, now THOSE are QUIET)!!!! I have tons of ammo so she could shoot as much as she wanted!!!

NOTE: you said she is shooting a Ruger LC9S......that would be a difficult "starter" gun to learn on for a "newbie" in my opinion. It's small to hold on to for starters and the felt recoil of a subcompact 7 round 9mm would be unpleasant for a beginner (heck, even I hate them). My friend would probably not have hit the target with a LC9S at all either and would have quit on me!!! Like most have suggested......start out with an easy 22LR semi auto and let her have fun with that for awhile (or as long as she wants). :mrgreen:
"You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of brass."~~ Tpr. M. Padgett

rotor

Post by rotor »

We live in Wichita Falls. If your wife wants a professional woman instructor Heather at Point Blank CHL is the one my wife recommends. My wife's favorite gun is a Sig 320 with the Romeo red dot. Heavy enough that it doesn't kick much and where you aim the red dot is where you hit. We also have a Buckmark 22lr with a red dot. Also have multiple revolvers 38/357 that are heavy enough to not kick and have great sights and are sweet shooters single action especially. If you want to have your wife try something like this I have my own range or can go to Field and Stream and she can try them. My wife is a better shot than I am but we might be able to help. The nice thing about a red dot is that where she aims is where it goes. Can be a great confidence builder. PM me if you want our help.

allisji

Post by allisji »

I had taken my wife to the range and tried to teach her to shoot, but I knew that she needed a real instructor who wasn't me.

I signed her up for a Ladies Only, Basic Handgun Class instructed by Charles Cotton. She didn't want to go, but she ended up having a great time and learned far better than I could have taught her. I still have a hard time trying to get her to go to the range with me.

She most enjoyed shooting .22 LR.

One thing to keep in mind is if you are shooting Semi-Auto, get her something that she can grip sufficiently. My wife struggled to shoot any double-stacks. But she was alright with a single stack 9mm.

The Ruger LC9 should be a good grip for her as long as you have a pinky extension, so she can get all 4 fingers on the grip. It's very lightweight though and has more felt recoil. A heavier single stack 9mm might make for a little bit easier shooting.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Boxerrider wrote:
Boxerrider wrote:

Enjoy!
Jeff
Found it - this is from a public facebook page, for her business, so I feel ok posting it. I don't know what she is associated with and what she isn't, but I didn't see anything about Point Blank on her page, and she advertises for her own classes. There was something about a new range. I'm not from the area - in-laws live there and we attended while visiting. She was recommended by my father-in-law, and wife (not a frequent shooter) and I both enjoyed the course.
Kathy Richardson
940-867-3028
Thank you will give her a call see what she says.
rotor wrote:she
rotor wrote:We live in Wichita Falls. If your wife wants a professional woman instructor Heather at Point Blank CHL is the one my wife recommends. My wife's favorite gun is a Sig 320 with the Romeo red dot. Heavy enough that it doesn't kick much and where you aim the red dot is where you hit. We also have a Buckmark 22lr with a red dot. Also have multiple revolvers 38/357 that are heavy enough to not kick and have great sights and are sweet shooters single action especially. If you want to have your wife try something like this I have my own range or can go to Field and Stream and she can try them. My wife is a better shot than I am but we might be able to help. The nice thing about a red dot is that where she aims is where it goes. Can be a great confidence builder. PM me if you want our help.
you will
Be getting a pm

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

Going to echo what many others have said. Get someone else to do it. I don't care how good you are, how great you can teach someone else. Too much emotional stuff in the way when it is someone close. I tried teaching mine and she is a good enough sport to go along with it, and I was able to get her to a 248/250 on the CHL test. However she did much better with a private instructor. I will do the same thing when it comes time for my daughter. I'll get her started, especially safety, but will have someone who does firearm instruction for a living to help her.
NRA Benefactor Member

Topic author
swilkes

Post by swilkes »

Jago668 wrote:Going to echo what many others have said. Get someone else to do it. I don't care how good you are, how great you can teach someone else. Too much emotional stuff in the way when it is someone close. I tried teaching mine and she is a good enough sport to go along with it, and I was able to get her to a 248/250 on the CHL test. However she did much better with a private instructor. I will do the same thing when it comes time for my daughter. I'll get her started, especially safety, but will have someone who does firearm instruction for a living to help her.
that's the plan< that's the point of this thread!!!!

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

swilkes wrote:
Jago668 wrote:Going to echo what many others have said. Get someone else to do it. I don't care how good you are, how great you can teach someone else. Too much emotional stuff in the way when it is someone close. I tried teaching mine and she is a good enough sport to go along with it, and I was able to get her to a 248/250 on the CHL test. However she did much better with a private instructor. I will do the same thing when it comes time for my daughter. I'll get her started, especially safety, but will have someone who does firearm instruction for a living to help her.
that's the plan< that's the point of this thread!!!!
Ah, well I took the wife to Proactive Defense north of Fort Worth past the motor speedway. Was the owners brother that taught her, don't see him listed on the website but I did some rifle training with him, and he is a good guy and instructor.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”