Gun safe thoughts/advice

Gun, shooting and equipment discussions unrelated to CHL issues

Moderator: carlson1

Topic author
FloMoAggie
Posts in topic: 1

Gun safe thoughts/advice

Post by FloMoAggie »

I keep wondering when/if I should purchase a gun safe. I have 3 handguns (2 in my EDC rotation, 1 set up for home defense that rarely sees carry) and one AR. The handguns are all in locked handgun safes (the home defense weapon has its own) near the bed. AR stored in a locked case.

My sons are both teenagers who have both been trained to shoot, but I keep the guns inaccessible to them as law and logic would dictate.

My main considerations for potentially purchasing a safe are theft mitigation as well as the ability to keep the AR more readily available for defensive purposes. As it is now, I'd have to unlock the case, load mags, etc. Basically, the AR is not a defensive option in my current setup.

For those who have purchased safes, why did you purchase when you did?

For those who've consciously decided not to purchase one, how did you arrive at that decision?

Thanks!
FloMoAggie

Pawpaw
Posts in topic: 4

Re: Gun safe thoughts/advice

Post by Pawpaw »

A gun safe is always a good idea. I bought mine because of my growing collection and I was building a new house.

Do yourself a favor and go to a real safe store. A good one will show you the differences over the safes you see in big box stores. The one I used is THE SAFE COMPANY in Garland. They have used safes too, which can save you money.

One more tip: Whatever safe you think you need, double it. That's typically where those used safes come from... people who bought too small.

ETA: Have it bolted down.
Last edited by Pawpaw on Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

rotor

Post by rotor »

You can never have too much ammo or a large enough safe. Buy big. My friend spent a fortune on a safe with a dial combination. Takes forever to open. I bought one with a keypad and opens fast. Mine is for theft prevention. I know there are fire ratings, etc. but all I care about is theft.

flowrie

Post by flowrie »

Buy the largest you can afford/have space for. I like the dial, not electronic push button, but I am just old fashioned.
My brother has a large one, push button with motion and open door sensor, it is very nice.
Former NRA Life Member
1911 fan

CZp10
Banned

Post by CZp10 »

Gun safes are great, but it all depends on your budget, not just for the safe, but for future guns. If you plan to stay in your house for some time, and have the budget to get more guns at some point, then you want a decent sized safe as others have pointed out. I looked into it not too long ago, and found two good choices from Liberty and Browning. A-1 Locksmith is a chain of stores that has some on display. Having a power outlet near the safe is very helpful, then you can get a golden rod for humidity, and a light for inside the safe.

There are choices from $500 to over $5000, so it just depends on what you think you might need for the future. If you just want something for your AR, then you have a few choices like the ones listed here: http://preparedgunowners.com/2017/02/02 ... our-ar-15/

allisji

Post by allisji »

FloMoAggie wrote:I keep wondering when/if I should purchase a gun safe. I have 3 handguns (2 in my EDC rotation, 1 set up for home defense that rarely sees carry) and one AR. The handguns are all in locked handgun safes (the home defense weapon has its own) near the bed. AR stored in a locked case.

My sons are both teenagers who have both been trained to shoot, but I keep the guns inaccessible to them as law and logic would dictate.

My main considerations for potentially purchasing a safe are theft mitigation as well as the ability to keep the AR more readily available for defensive purposes. As it is now, I'd have to unlock the case, load mags, etc. Basically, the AR is not a defensive option in my current setup.

For those who've consciously decided not to purchase one, how did you arrive at that decision?

Thanks!
FloMoAggie
I bought a safe when my kids were young, son was 3 and daughter was newborn. The purpose of buying a safe was to store guns and ammo, keep them away from the kids, and prevent theft.

I bought a 15 gun safe by Stack-On. It is fire-safe, and it has the electronic keypad, so I can open it quickly, however I keep my EDC and my home defense handgun in a biometric gunvault by the bedside. I bought my safe online from Wal-Mart, after price-shopping at other sporting goods outlets. It was a very good value. But like others have said, it's not big enough. I wish that it were twice as large, however, I think I will get another safe (not fireproof) the same size and store my ammo in it and probably keep some handguns, magazines, accessories, etc. in it, which will free up some room in my fireproof safe for more guns.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

bblhd672

Post by bblhd672 »

FloMoAggie wrote:I keep wondering when/if I should purchase a gun safe. I have 3 handguns (2 in my EDC rotation, 1 set up for home defense that rarely sees carry) and one AR. The handguns are all in locked handgun safes (the home defense weapon has its own) near the bed. AR stored in a locked case.

Thanks!
FloMoAggie
Here's an old thread on gun safes you might want to review
http://texaschlforum.com/viewtopic.php? ... t=gun+safe
The left lies about everything. Truth is a liberal value, and truth is a conservative value, but it has never been a left-wing value. People on the left say whatever advances their immediate agenda. Power is their moral lodestar; therefore, truth is always subservient to it. - Dennis Prager

flechero

Post by flechero »

Pawpaw wrote:A gun safe is always a good idea. I bought mine because of my growing collection and I was building a new house.

Do yourself a favor and go to a real safe store. A good one will show you the differences over the safes you see in big box stores. The one I used is THE SAFE COMPANY in Garland. They have used safes too, which can save you money.

One more tip: Whatever safe you think you need, double it. That's typically where those used safes come from... people who bought too small.

ETA: Have it bolted down.
Great advice from start to finish!
FloMoAggie wrote:For those who have purchased safes, why did you purchase when you did?
As soon as I could afford one, I bought.

Buy way more size than you think you will ever need, because sooner than you can believe it will be full- even if not with guns.

pbwalker

Post by pbwalker »

I'll just echo what has been said so far. Buy for at least 2x what you think you're going to need. For me, I should have gone 3x or 4x what I thought I'd need. Even after going through varying ways to cram more in there (Rifle Rods, various pistol storage means, etc.) I am completely out of room.

I started with a cheap StackOn 'cabinet' but realized that wasn't going to fly. Shortly before my first daughter was born, I finally went to a 24 gun safe that I picked up at Costco, which was, at the time, more than I could ever need (or so I thought). After somehow managing to cram 38 long guns in there, I'm in a holding pattern. I've moved some pistols to a smaller executive safe type of box so I could get some room to keep other valuables in there, but it's a temporary solution. I have to be careful when I open the door. :lol:

When I had the room, it was nice to store ammo in there, but that didn't last long. I have to store it in my gun room outside the safe now. Fortunately, I live in a very dry climate, and store desiccant packs in the ammo cans & crates, so I'm not too worried.

Not sure what your budget is, but I'm looking at these and have heard very good things: https://rhinosafe.com/all-products/gun- ... ed-series/ (specifically the 76 gun model)

*NRA Endowment Member* | Veteran
Vote Adam Kraut for the NRA Board of Directors - http://www.adamkraut.com/

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

allisji wrote:I think I will get another safe (not fireproof) the same size and store my ammo in it and probably keep some handguns, magazines, accessories, etc. in it, which will free up some room in my fireproof safe for more guns.
For ammo storage, it's hard to beat the Liberty Ammo Can.

It's not a "gun safe" by any stretch of the imagination, but it'll keep the kids out and provide some security. Empty it weighs 270 lbs. With all the ammo I've got in mine, it's a heck of a lot heavier.
Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence. - John Adams

Medley86
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Medley86 »

I have a 10 gun(no way will it hold 10 long arms) stack on that was a Christmas present a few years ago. It's adequate for anti theft, I also have a small keyes safe beside the bed for edc, at night it just lays on the nightstand in the open though. I also keep an old homemade gun rack hanging above the safe with a cheap pump 12 that's easy to get to for bumps in the night. Once the kids get old enough that they could get to it by dragging in something to stand on I'll start keeping the bedroom door locked as well.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Since we are sharing, my biggest challenge with a safe is figuring out how to mount one in a newer house with a post tension slab. I don't want to void my warranty or break a cable. An appropriate mounting solution is going to either look weird or get very expensive. Epoxy is an option but quite permanent. :???:
Psalm 91:2

mrvmax

Post by mrvmax »

The first thing to keep in mind is that any safe can be opened by someone determined to open it. You need to use layers of protection (like an alarm, safe, cameras etc.) along with insurance if you are worried about theft. I do not see the point of buying a high dollar safe unless you have an heirloom firearm that cannot be replaced, a safe is really just to slow thieves down (but some can offer some protection from fire and other natural disasters. It is a different story if you are trying to keep firearms away from children but I can buy a lot of firearms for what some of the higher end safes cost. If you only need a smaller safe that offers high security look for a used TL30 safe. They are much harder to get into and very heavy. Another deterrent is to make sure the safe is bolted down to the floor. Just my 2 cents.

Pawpaw

Post by Pawpaw »

SQLGeek wrote:Since we are sharing, my biggest challenge with a safe is figuring out how to mount one in a newer house with a post tension slab. I don't want to void my warranty or break a cable. An appropriate mounting solution is going to either look weird or get very expensive. Epoxy is an option but quite permanent. :???:
My house has a post tension slab and installing it was no problem at all. The cables are way deeper than the anchors.

Medley86

Post by Medley86 »

SQLGeek wrote:Since we are sharing, my biggest challenge with a safe is figuring out how to mount one in a newer house with a post tension slab. I don't want to void my warranty or break a cable. An appropriate mounting solution is going to either look weird or get very expensive. Epoxy is an option but quite permanent. :???:
I bolted mine through the back into a stud in the wall, not as secure as anchors in the slab, but it is on a floating laminate floor. From what I have seen second hand most thieves won't stick around long enough to try to take it off the wall or bust it open, they'll just take the tv's and laptops and run.
Ruger LCP in a Talon wallet holster EDC

Return to “General Gun, Shooting & Equipment Discussion”